Larian wants to know what RPGs you like and hate

I saw this posted on rpgcodex, so there are gonna be lot of people lobbying for turnbased isometric.

Personally I want Larian to go back to third person games like Divinity Dragon Knight Saga, my favourite game by them.

Darklands aside, that was a pretty good survey compared to some I’ve seen in the past. I’m curious as to what options Larian is considering. That survey could be used to target a bunch of different game options.

Nary an Ultima to be seen, either.

But they were obviously focusing on more recent games.

Even the older games they were targeting like Baldur’s Gate and Fallout have been remastered and/or still spawning sequels.

Dishonored 2 an action RPG? Hmmmm.

As long as they do not get the idea to make an MMO or an ARPG although I don’t consider Witcher 3 an ARPG (it was listed under ARPGs in the survey).

Mostly I want a 1st or 3rd person RPGs in an open world, with a great story and a lot of character development.

I liked that one too, probably their best. I would also like them to take the action point system they have in Divinity Original Sin and make better content for it.

Given that they threw XCOM and Fallout 1/2 in there, I was secretly hoping that there would be a Jagged Alliance 2 question.

Done deal.

They already lost me at first question - I love Fallout 2 and Pillars of Eternity but I just can’t come to terms with DOS.

DOS has some pretty good combat (though I found the elemental system gimmicky), but the content sucks. They need some bigger maps where you don’t run into an encounter around every corner. Also the art style turned me off. I’ve only played DD and DOS and watched a few videos of Dragon Commander, but I can say Larian is not one of my favorite developers.

Done.

Did my bit too. Was a bit confused that in many cases they asked only about the most recent release in a series, like Civ, DA or TotalWar. So in many cases either I answered “Didn’t Play” when in reality I sank 1000s of hours into them. Or, my Dislike<->Like slider was off since I was only applying it to the last title in the series (looking at you Civ!). So I’m not sure how much help my data point will be.

Really? It’s been high on my ‘to play’ list for ages because everyone was saying it was the bee’s goddamn knees. Did I miss a backlash?

I summed up my thoughts on this here: Divinity: Original Sin - #947 by robc04

Throw one more in agreement with that post, up through and including the praise for Dream Quest. Team Backlash. PoE does almost everything right, D:OS does about 60% of the things right and is good enough to play, but leaves a lot on the table.

PoE was aiiight until toward the end when some of the locations and plot elements started getting ridiculous. They should have waited until PoE 3 before they had the player fight gods and stuff. It got too epic too fast. Combat also wasn’t very memorable. And the home base didn’t serve any real purpose, except as a money sink.

You know for three lines Yak has POE perfectly pegged. Tyranny fixed some of that though was very short. POE 2 could be a good mix.

Good survey, thanks for posting this.

Personally, I’d basically reverse that. (I completed both.) Different strokes for different folks, I guess.