Las Vegas Mass Shooting - Oct. 1, 2017

It could be worse. Trump could dedicate his next golf trophy to the shooting victims.

I own an HK93 purchased many years ago. It would be a pain to sell or transfer out of state, but it’s not really something that was a pain in the past. Now it’s a pain because old weapons are limited and due to that, more expensive. In Nevada it’s easier to buy one, no restrictions on magazine capacity, etc. I’m not trying to say it is easy, it’s not. But the guy was 64 years old. He could have had many of those weapons for quite some time. He could have even gotten some of them while in Nevada (he moved from Florida to LV (Mesquite) not long ago apparently…

I think you’re correct though, this will probably be the case of a bump stock on an AR15.

I just heard what I think was his brother taking on the radio. They guy is in shock but they have zero clue what caused him to do this. He was retired, had a girlfriend, wasn’t affiliated with anything crazy, allegedly only had one traffic citation, etc. This may end up being a motive that nobody could have seen coming. :(

Except for owning a fuckton of guns. Or are we still supposed to pretend this is normal?

58 dead now.

515 injured, 58 dead confirmed now. These are battle casualty-sized numbers. Awful.

Done by one guy in just minutes.

The founding fathers lived in a time when that kind of carnage was unfathomable.

I’m noping out of a response here. Any single weapon used to kill someone shouldn’t be considered something we want as normal. Owning guns in the U.S. is legal though. Some people collect strange things, but if they are legal things then … I dunno what we should expect. Do we know how many he owned?

At least 10, the count in the room.

My brother was checking in to the Mandalay as the shooting started and screaming people started running through the hotel. Pretty terrifying. He got out a side door with a small group of people and managed to get away, fortunately in the right direction.

Once outside he said it was very hard to tell where the shots were coming from, and rumours of multiple shooters abounded (which seems to be standard for these incidents).

This is a terrible and senseless tragedy. I don’t know what else to say.

So he brought them all as part of a plan, which is crazy. And enough ammo to go on this spree. Perhaps this will be an event that can change support of wide-open gun laws. I’m sadly thinking it will not be.

If it turns out he used a bump stock, then I can see lawmakers being forced to take a close look at the availability of those. Frankly, I think the only reason they aren’t banned already is not many people outside of gun enthusiast communities have heard of them.

But general gun control? Nah.

No. As others pointed out, an entire classroom of grade school children was massacred and didn’t even move the fucking needle. We’ve decided this is an acceptable price to pay for the privilege of owning firearms.

Sadiq Khan said terrorist attacks are now part and parcel of living in a big city. In America we just have guns instead of bombs.

Yeah, pretty much. Americans must be allowed the freedom to masturbate to as many guns as possible, no matter what.

Fuck you, 2017. Fuck you, fuck you, fuck you :(

The Onion re-released the same ol’ story again:

F*in sucks that we put up with this shit because of all the idiots in this country.

It does make immigration control seem pointless when we have enough violent disgruntled people here already.

More blood for the blood god.

Well sure. If you look at the numbers, immigrants are way less likely to commit crimes.

I need to preface what I’m about to say with some beliefs I hold so people don’t misunderstand:

I think firearms should all be registered (this would require a federal law, of course)
I think certain types (full auto, for instance) and certain ammo (hollow points and AP) should be illegal for civilian use nation-wide (which would also require a federal law)

That said, what I’m worried about is that all the gun regulation in the world doesn’t seem like it would change the culture that makes their use so prevalent. There will always be bad actors doing bad things, but based on the disproportionate number of incidents compared to other nations, the gun culture in the US seems to push them towards using firearms as their preferred tools of destruction. We largely consume the same media (movies, TV, video games) as other nations, so I don’t place the blame there. The polarization of our politics also doesn’t seem particularly unique (CF - the strife in Spain/Catalonia), so I can’t attribute an undue amount of it there. The US is more culturally conservative than many nations so I wonder if this translates loosely into a “protect what I’ve got” sense of things, but that doesn’t jive with common sense.

So what do people think would actually change the culture?