Last Epoch: ARPG somewhere between Path of Exile and Diablo.

Was texting with my son last night. He has some friends who are playing, but he hasn’t gotten it yet. Then this happened:

Hit the monolith tonight. Did just one node. Need to figure out how that works. But would also like to try a different build. Got all kinds of uniques to look forward to using.

Hmmm, melee seems a little…broken?

It seems to suffer from a problem POE had way back when - holding down a melee attack skill does not auto target another enemy under your cursor if your initial enemy dies.

Additionally, the setting ‘move to melee attack enemies that are out of range’ seems to not work very well. For me it only seems to work sometimes, and pretty much never when I hold down the attack button, only when I click. Also does not work at all on destructables.

These combine to make playing a melee toon feel really clunky and darn near broken - jump into a bunch of mobs and half your attacks don’t seem to do much because of targeting issues. Miss a mob by a fraction and you attack in place, rather than advance to attack. Etc, etc.

And this seems to have been a QOL problem for years. Bummer. I guess I’ll re-roll a caster

Melee feels terrific… but I play on a controller. If you’re not opposed to using a controller, I’d strongly recommend turning off “Move to out or range targets” and play with that.

Don’t reroll that caster yet! I noticed the same thing last night with fireball on my sorcerer. It only happened once in a half hour but it was annoying.

I’m gonna try putting this on my steam deck and see how it goes.

Primalist gets a basic attack replacement pretty early on that’s a sweeping arc attack in front of them so no precise targeting needed. But yeah, I’ll grant you it’s pretty frustrating to have to go back to wrist murdering clickfest if you want to use a normal single target melee attack frequently.

Caster feels way better, fire based caster rofl stopmed though to level 12 or so with a little twink gear.

I’ll try melee with controller as well, see how that goes.

Never noticed any melee issues at all. I’m mostly using Warpath, where it wouldn’t matter, but I’ve used plenty of other melee skills too. The way this game does movement is a bit different than what I’m used to, so maybe that’s why it didn’t bother me?

How so? Click to move, seems like the ARPG standard since 1997 to me!

There’s no force hold.

Force hold?

To prevent movement, e.g. for ranged attacks

Ah. Yeah.

Ouch; I was thinking of pulling the trigger on this but I don’t know if I could stand a ranged character in an ARPG without a hold button.

The attacks aren’t done with the mouse, though, so the movement and attack aren’t connected. Like you can just not issue move commands with the mouse while using the skills with the hotkeys. Am I misunderstanding? That was how I was doing it with my (ranged) sorcerer.

It’s not that it lacking a mechanism to control your character, it’s that the control scheme doesn’t require one. You left click to move, you right-click (or use the hotkeys assigned to your other abilities) to perform attacks. So no need for a “hold shift to not move” button. For melee attacks, there’s an option to control whether or not you close the distance if out of range. I prefer to play with that off, but that’s coming from a controller perspective.

You never use the basic attack? Or is it impossible to map a different attack to the mouse buttons? I’ll admit I only played the free weekend version for a few hours but normally in ARPGs I have an attack bound to the right mouse button so that I would normally move if I click it but if I use the “hold in place” button I fire instead. Or fire if I happen to right click on a target. Or at least that’s what I remember from Grim Dawn.

There isn’t really a basic attack per se (not one you’d be using anyway, even at L1), but that would be right-click, not left-click. You can map any ability you want to it, but left-click is for moving, right click (or other hotkeys) for attacking.

Yeah, as @KevinC said move and attack are just separate keypresses. There is a basic right-click melee attack (which I guess can be rebound to whatever skill you like as usual) but I only found myself using it once, in the situation where something was eating my face by my fireballs were just missing it for some reason. And note that it was a melee attack for me, even though my class is not a “melee” class, so it’s probably that way for everyone?

The “basic attack” is just “smack this thing with whatever weapon I have equipped”, so your mage was just bopping them with a stick, yeah. Not something ever really used, and it automatically gets replaced on your hotbar in a few levels once you’ve unlocked four abilities.

Who knows; I’m probably remembering my Grim Dawn set up incorrectly so I won’t worry about it. Thanks all