Last Epoch: ARPG somewhere between Path of Exile and Diablo.

They drop in Monolith maps, as do the Arena keys which are also available as echo rewards.

I got my only dungeon key before I hit monoliths (the only key I got running my first timeline was an arena key as an echo reward). Havenā€™t used either.

Ah, not sure Iā€™ve even seen a monolith map, but Iā€™ll keep an eye out. Thank you!

You will know when you get there. The story ends a bit abruptly. Possible to get a key earlier, but no idea if attempting to use it is wise.

If you want to visit the Monolith early (before finishing the main story chapters), go to The End of Time and keep walking right.

I was struggling yesterday to figure out the minion team I wanted. Skeleton Mages feel very underwhelming. But I think I have settled on Bone Golem with two wraiths and that is working quite nicely. It will be fun to eventually spec the golem, but for now he works great stock.

As far as I could tell this doesnā€™t level adjust and youā€™ll be way under leveled for it if you do that then, right? Or am I missing some way I could have actually done it without being slaughtered?

The first monolith is level 58. Depending on your build, that might be reasonable quite a bit earlier than that. As you get higher level, you tend to be able to do things in quite a bit higher level range. Itā€™s slower going, but doable. Beyond (I think) 5 levels higher than your character level you donā€™t get more xp, though, so itā€™s purely for the hell of it.

@krushnine Iā€™ve played a whole bunch of these games over the years. This ranks among the very best.

Once I figured out this acolyte build, it started steamrolling. My sentinel was fun, but the damage output feels a good bit stronger and thereā€™s much more safety too (not melee, tanky minions, lots of ward). I wasnā€™t sure for a while there that I would finish leveling, but now I canā€™t stop, lol.

The ā€œcompare to equippedā€ option is 100% what I was looking for, why on earth is that not on by default. I was on the fence about returning this one because the loot experience on the deck (which is where I plan to play this) was so awful, but that combined with the loot filters is night and day.

Although I was thinking about it this morning and I wish there was an ARPG where you play the villain. This kind of thing is perfect for an Iratus-style story. Youā€™re some long sealed away Necromancer or what have you and you gradually become this unstoppable force, killing all the heroes who come against you, until you finally beat the chosen one and ascend to dark majesty.

Heh, funny enough I turned it on and decided it was too much info to process at once. Turned it off shortly after. I can see how itā€™d be a nice option once you get more familiar with the gameā€™s systems and have your loot filters well tuned for whatever build youā€™re working on.

8-10 hours in and enjoying my Lich - just unlocked masteries in the past hour or so. Biggest annoyances that Diablo 3 got right are small QoL so far: give me some sort of pet to autoloot gold, and when I pick up a crafting mat grab all the crafting mats on the screen (or againā€¦ autoloot pet). Thereā€™s no decisions to be made here; youā€™re always better off grabbing gold and shards. I also donā€™t like how thereā€™s an intermediate step where shards and runes hit inventory but can immediately be sent to the forge but thatā€™s even more minor.

Good sign if thatā€™s the level of issue I can gripe about!

Yeah, thatā€™s a good point. Stuff that you will always pick up should not be a pickup at all.

Woohoo, thatā€™s great that it made a difference!

I havenā€™t followed it closely, but I know itā€™s been a point of contention/debate for quite some time. The shards can be really quite powerful so the developers want some kind of user action involved when obtaining them but at the same time no one wants the game bogged down by constantly having to go to town and empty them into the stash. I think the current implementation was the compromise. I donā€™t know if I agree with it, but itā€™s what they settled on. Iā€™m curious if itā€™s set in stone or if itā€™s still open for tweaking on the way to 1.0.

I understand why you need to pick them up, because some crafting items are rare and itā€™s important to see them drop. I donā€™t get why you then need to press an inventory button to put them in the crafting stash. Itā€™s just a chore that you have to do every time you want to manipulate the inventory.

Now that some of you had a taste of D4 how would you compare the 2. Iā€™m expecting D4 to have better production values but how about gameplay and character building?

Had my first death on my acolyte yesterday at about level 45. Not a boss, just a narrow intersection with ranged ice spiders.

There are some things I like more about LE, like being able to check on the stats of an item before picking it up, and being able to click on a quest location and go right to it. I also like the time travel facet.

But for D4, I love the GAAS open world with random events and such.

Both games have fun skill trees and both games feel great with the combat.

I think if youā€™re an ARPG fan, both are worth owning.

Iā€™m definitely an outlier, but I didnā€™t like it. The character building is less than what was in D3 and in terms of gameplay, it felt like a slog. It was taking my Sorc 3-4 meteors to kill a skeleton archer (if the meteor hit ā€“ the area of effect is quite small for some reason). Iā€™ve only seen a few sporadic complaints about that, though, so I really donā€™t know if something was just wrong in my character or what. Iā€™m all for slower paced combat in ARPGs (itā€™s what drew my interest to Lost Ark initially) but it didnā€™t feel slow, it felt like everything was a huge damage sponge I had to slowly whittle my way through. Again, most others didnā€™t seem to share this complaint, so I have no idea what was going on. I made a Rogue as well and has similar issues there, so whatever it was it wasnā€™t limited to just that one character or set of abilities.

Production values in general are top notch, like you would expect. There were exceptions, where several Sorc spells looked as anemic as they felt to use. Meteor was this small unsatisfying rock that falls from the sky. Fireball a projectile that shot out and exploded in a very unsatisfying way (Iā€™ve seen this complaint several times, so this one I donā€™t think was just me). Those were exceptions, though. Overall the game has really good production values.

I was expecting bland character building so I wasnā€™t surprised by what I saw there, but I was honestly shocked at how bad the combat felt. I thought that was going to be a stellar part of the game, as I thought Diablo 3ā€™s combat was excellent, despite not really liking the character building part of the game. That said, the Diablo 4 thread is overwhelmingly positive so Iā€™m clearly an outlier. It was a beta, so maybe something got seriously borked with my character or there was something else going on. Out of my three friends who are huge ARPG (and Diablo) fans, one enjoyed it and the other two felt the same way I did.

Thanks guys. Iā€™m waiting for full release before I dive into either game. Just need to figure out which one is first. Like most here Iā€™ve played all the Diabloā€™s to excess. Grim Dawn is still my favorite ARPG. Not that I need a game like GD but it makes me lean towards Last Epoch just because it sounds like it will be slightly different.