Last Epoch: ARPG somewhere between Path of Exile and Diablo.

I’m kind of the opposite, as soon as I find an item that has a bonus to the type of damage I’m doing I always chuck some shards at it. Having something like a +90% fire damage staff at the start makes things melt ridiculously fast!

Like OK I think I settled on two-handers and probably +melee is good (btw does anything else affect how much damage a weapon does? Do they even have base damage? It doesn’t look like it.), but what else? I don’t know.

They have base damage, it’s up at the top of the item tooltip. Will be something like “30 Melee damage” or a mix of melee and spell damage, depending on the weapon type.

If you’re a melee character, some basic ones to look for would be things like:

-Increased melee damage (a % increase)
-Melee damage (a flat amount added)
-Increased attack speed

Melee fire/ice/lightning/necrotic/void/whatever can be good as well depending on what you’re playing. But you’ll probably only care about a weapon that has at least one affix that’s buffing melee in some way. I also like life leech and that sort of thing!

Whenever I look at a weapon I see something very similar to this:

Are you referring to that “+23 melee damage”? Usually in these types of games you expect to see some kind of range. Weapons in this game seem like they’re basically just modifiers for skills, i.e. this axe just adds 23 melee (physical?) damage to my Swipe skill or whatever other melee attack I use. Is that true?

Yeah, referring to the +23, there’s no RNG in those… what would be the correct term? Implicit stats? A Forestry Axe will be 23 melee damage at a 0.92 attack rate. Different types of axes, swords, and maces will have different implicit stats (some weapons will be faster, have crit or stun chance increases, etc.). As you get higher level, you’ll get higher tiers of items with better implicit stats as well.

Skills have base damage, which get combined together and then calculated with all the other modifiers.

Detailed breakdown here (where the image is pulled from)

Some Implicits do have ranges. Maybe not the weapons (I don’t remember) but certainly other stuff does.

And I lost my level 47 Hardcore barbarian - Created a new mage, and gone the other character was.

I was kinda sure the latest update had fixed this issue, but I guess not. That really puts a dampener on my interest in playing.

Oh wow. Offline characters? Did you check the folder where they are stored?

Yeah - its gone - and indeed, Offline characters.

So - let my folly be a warning to others. Don’t create new characters until this bug is completely fixed!

Damn, that sucks. At the very least, back up character saves before making a new character. I suspect it’s ok once you get past the point of making a new character and all is intact.

Damn, sorry to hear mate, it should be game dev 101 to make sure the game version you have in the wild doesn’t delete or corrupt user save data.

Getting to 47 without dying is a good accomplishment, I think I died a dozen times before reaching that level.

Thanks - I do enjoy playing Hardcore characters. Gives the game an extra edge. It gets difficult for me around level 40 in this game. I don’t know if I just don’t know the game well enough, but my damage seems to go down and I take a lot of hard hits all of a sudden - but its fun!

Until its all gone weeps

i’m curious, what have you been doing about resists?
i usuaaly play hc in ARPGs, which is why Ive never gotten very far in maps in PoE or beaten hell Baal, but I’m playing sc here for my first character and damage seems really spiky. I can go a few maps wo using a heal pot and then go from full health to 0 seemingly instantly.
One problem is probably that Im level 39 and my resists are mostly low 20s but since I dont know what gear I will be keeping its hard for me to commit many resources to crafting. what is your policy here? have you maxed your resists already? are there guideliness for what armor and hp should be by level for hc play?

Nothing - I am not very good at this kind of thing.

So yeah, the sudden damage spikes I usually try to mitigate by a combination of armor and dodge and/or block. Armor subtracts from ALL damage, so its quite good.

That, combined with moving out of the big attack of, say, Giant Scorpions helps a lot. They can take most to almost zero health in one attack for instance.

What %damage reduction from armor does your character have in a zone of its level? and what is its health? I have 20% reduction and 623 health plus some ward

I have 5 offline characters and it worked fine after the hotfix. That said, none of them is hardcore, so maybe they forgot to fix for that case…

I’m only in the high 20s in level but I’ve been finding resources often enough that I’m not too bothered by crafting. Perhaps it will bite me later but I don’t hold back on throwing on affixes. I haven’t been using the glyphs because I don’t feel it is worth it for some benefit on leveling gear.

What is the feeling about low level uniques? I have a couple of pieces that look decent but I’m not sure if it is worth using them since they seem to be hyper focused on specific things that are somewhat tangential to my (still very early and leveling) build.

If you’re not getting a benefit off every line of a unique you probably shouldn’t bother with it. But… some of the skill-specific bonuses are worth considering changing your skills for.

Same approach here. I rarely have rares equipped that haven’t been upgraded with something regardless of what point I am in the game. I save the rarer stuff like increases to skill levels, but things like increased damage, health, some resists, those are abundant and I haven’t seen any reason to horde them for later.

It can really make a big difference and that translates into killing things faster which means more shards are dropping to replace the ones you’ve used.

Wow, so sorry to hear that. That really sucks. For that reason I’ve made online characters even though I play alone. Is that an option for you?