Last Season of the Simpsons

My rough memory is that it was some type of evil big business (railroad?) secretly and craftily bought the rights to the land, so we’ll leave them with scorched earth, the fuckers, situation.

Actual reason:

In-fiction reason.

put a spoiler alert on that…damn man…:(

Renewed through Season 25. Doesn’t say what they finally agreed on, though.

And admittedly, I probably haven’t watched much of The Simpsons in over five years now after being driven away by the drop in quality, but I can’t honestly say it’s still a bad show either since, well, I haven’t watched it in over five years now…

I still watch it most Sundays and it is hit or miss, but it is still better than a lot of TV out there. As someone up-thread posted its main competition (for me) isn’t other shows but the time spent watching it. I really enjoyed the last episode since it focused on Theodore Roosevelt, my favorite president (and one that is often overlooked). I also found their take of The Police’s “Walking on the Moon” funny as well.

I’d be happy with them ending on the 25th season. I’m glad they got those extra two years – going a quarter-century is a good milestone.

I was kind of hoping it would end with the next season. That show really needs to die so that we can enjoy it with proper nostalgia.

This last episode was really good, I thought.

Shaun White, Snow Vampire!

I haven’t seen an episode since 1998.

Okay?

I just saw the “foodies” episode and thought it was incredible. The fact that it started by parodying the old EEE made it even better. The fact I had a similar reaction as Marge the one time a friend dragged me to an Ethiopian restaurant made it sublime (except I discovered I didn’t like the bread, which is sort of ruined Ethiopian food for me entirely).

The Simpsons does have its stinkers, but it also still has its gems.

Last Sundays episode was pretty good. It had signs that WEREN’T read out loud! It had subtly, wasn’t full of pop culture references (had a subtle Far Side gag). It was pretty good! I might have to start watching again.

Yeah, I’m fine, thanks for asking. You?

Since this is the latest general thread for The Simpsons that I could find, I’m putting this news here.

Here’s likely why:

Clausen uses a 35-piece orchestra every week — something that “Simpsons” creator Matt Groening insisted upon from the start of the show. Including costs of musicians, recording studios, and orchestration, expenses routinely run into the millions of dollars per year.

What? But The Simpsons aired its final episode in 2012!

Do you still feel the same 6 years later?

I watched the recent 700th episode. I enjoyed it. It’s a Christmas episode that takes place 6 years ago so Bart and Lisa are younger and very cute.

I’m not really sure that this is the best place to put this, but what the hell: if you’re a fan of the Simpsons then you’re probably a fan of John Swartzwelder. And if you’re a fan of his, you’re going to want to check out this interview.

What do you make of the compliment “Swartzweldian”?

I guess I understand what they’re driving at, and it all sounds very complimentary, and I thank everybody for that, but I can’t help thinking “Swartzweldian” is about the most awkward-sounding word in the English language. I mean, I thought “Oakleyesque” and “Vittiriffic” [after “Simpsons” writers Bill Oakley and Jon Vitti] were bad, but “Swartzweldian”!

So how would you describe your sense of humor, your comedic sensibility?

Swartzweldian.

That was a fascinating interview. Thanks for sharing!

I’m still more positive on The Simpsons today than most people are, but I increasingly think it would benefit from a South Park-like time jump.

However, I was struck by this part of the interview:

One of my all-time favorite jokes is from “The Time Machine Did It”: “I was sleeping like a baby—waking up every three hours screaming and crapping my pants.”

Years after “The Time Machine Did It” was published, I saw John McCain use a similar joke on a late-night talk show after his failed 2008 Presidential bid. I planned on using this intellectual-property theft to my advantage if he ever ran again. Anyway, I was glad he liked the joke.

My dad told a version of that joke when I was growing up–probably in the '80s, but it definitely predates Swartzwelder’s novel!