Latest Example of the New York Times Obscene Left Bias

New York Times article provides this cut from a letter written by Cpl Starr, who died in Iraq and wrote this letter to be read in the event of his death

’’I kind of predicted this,’’ Corporal Starr wrote of his own death. ‘’A third time just seemed like I’m pushing my chances.’’

The actual letter reads

He wrote: “Obviously if you are reading this then I have died in Iraq. I kind of predicted this, that is why I’m writing this in November. A third time just seemed like I’m pushing my chances. I don’t regret going, everybody dies but few get to do it for something as important as freedom. It may seem confusing why we are in Iraq, it’s not to me. I’m here helping these people, so that they can live the way we live. Not have to worry about tyrants or vicious dictators. To do what they want with their lives. To me that is why I died. Others have died for my freedom, now this is my mark.”

When with the treasonous aiding of our enemies during war stop at the New York Times? You can contact the Times ombudsman to complain here: Times Topics - The New York Times

Would it be too much to get a link to the article?

So? They excerpted the letter. The portion they excerpted was the part relevant to the article, and the part they left out in no way changed the meaning of the portion they excerpted.

I’m just glad that the right wingers NEVER take anything out of context. Not EVER!

The article:

Many of those service members returned voluntarily to war because they burned with conviction in the rightness of the mission. Others were driven by powerful loyalty to units and friends. For some it was simply their job.

And the part so upsetting to Philomath:

Another member of the 1/5, Cpl. Jeffrey B. Starr, rejected a $24,000 bonus to re-enlist. Corporal Starr believed strongly in the war, his father said, but was tired of the harsh life and nearness of death in Iraq. So he enrolled at Everett Community College near his parents’ home in Snohomish, Wash., planning to study psychology after his enlistment ended in August.

But he died in a firefight in Ramadi on April 30 during his third tour in Iraq. He was 22.

Sifting through Corporal Starr’s laptop computer after his death, his father found a letter to be delivered to the marine’s girlfriend. “I kind of predicted this,” Corporal Starr wrote of his own death. “A third time just seemed like I’m pushing my chances.”

His father, Brian Starr, had been preparing a basement apartment in his home for Corporal Starr to live in after leaving the Marines. Now Mr. Starr plans to turn it into a memorial of sorts, to display Corporal Starr’s war ribbons and the neatly folded flag that once draped his coffin. Perhaps he will also install a pool table there to remind people of his son’s fun-loving side.

Mr. Starr, an accountant, said he remained convinced that invading Iraq was the right thing to do. But he said he would also like firsthand confirmation that the war, and Corporal Starr’s death, were not in vain.

“I’m hoping, my wife is hoping, that we can visit Ramadi,” he said, fighting back tears. “And feel safe. And feel like Jeff died for something.”

In context of the article, it seemed fine. Here is the complete quote.

Another member of the 1/5, Cpl. Jeffrey B. Starr, rejected a $24,000 bonus to re-enlist. Corporal Starr believed strongly in the war, his father said, but was tired of the harsh life and nearness of death in Iraq. So he enrolled at Everett Community College near his parents’ home in Snohomish, Wash., planning to study psychology after his enlistment ended in August.

But he died in a firefight in Ramadi on April 30 during his third tour in Iraq. He was 22.

Sifting through Corporal Starr’s laptop computer after his death, his father found a letter to be delivered to the marine’s girlfriend. “I kind of predicted this,” Corporal Starr wrote of his own death. “A third time just seemed like I’m pushing my chances.”

His father, Brian Starr, had been preparing a basement apartment in his home for Corporal Starr to live in after leaving the Marines. Now Mr. Starr plans to turn it into a memorial of sorts, to display Corporal Starr’s war ribbons and the neatly folded flag that once draped his coffin. Perhaps he will also install a pool table there to remind people of his son’s fun-loving side.

Mr. Starr, an accountant, said he remained convinced that invading Iraq was the right thing to do. But he said he would also like firsthand confirmation that the war, and Corporal Starr’s death, were not in vain.

“I’m hoping, my wife is hoping, that we can visit Ramadi,” he said, fighting back tears. “And feel safe. And feel like Jeff died for something.”

It is on the 5th page.

Chet

What are you talking about? That’s exactly what it did. Not only did they change the meaning, they completely reversed it. It completely changed the meaning of what he said, changing a very prowar and positive position on what’s being accomplished and in the the value of his sacrifice into one of hopeless dispair and negativity.

What are you talking about? That’s exactly what it did. Not only did they change the meaning, they completely reversed it. It completely changed the meaning of what he said, changing a very prowar and positive position on what’s being accomplished and in the the value of his sacrifice into one of hopeless dispair and negativity.[/quote]

Philo, did you actually read what we both quoted up there? I left my double quote to give you a chance to actually read it…

Well, I can’t speak for Philo but I read the article and the letter and I do think that selectively quoting the letter the way they did was misrepresenting the situation.

[quote=“Nick_Walter”]

Well, I can’t speak for Philo but I read the article and the letter and I do think that selectively quoting the letter the way they did was misrepresenting the situation.[/quote]

I think Philo’s misrepresentation of the article is bigger than the times’ bias on the letter.

By the way isn’t Philo making an ass of himself by calling the kettle black? Lets all fill his e-mail inbox until he changes his ways.

THE TREASONOUS AIDING OF OUR ENEMIES! THE NYT OBVIOUSLY HATES AMERICA AND APPLE PIE! I THINK I HEARD THEY HATE BASEBALL TOO! NOW OFF WITH YOU TO THE TOWN CENTER, BRING YOUR PITCHFORKS AND TORCHES CUZ WE GOT OURSELVES A LYNCHIN!

Usual response to a post that that says anything positive about the WOT.

Oh, fuck, there really isn’t a need for the WOT, is there? And the brave men and women fighting that war don’t deserve just a modicum of respect, do they?

And the NYT doesn’t really have a bias, right?

Yeah, that’ll show the bastard! :roll:

Ah yes, just another example of how the lefties are bordering on psychopathic intolerance for any views contrary to their own.

Here’s some of your “brothers” showing similar respect for freedom of expression in California: http://thepoliticalteen.net/2005/10/28/arniesupporter/

Thanks for showing, once again, that you just don’t get what makes America great. Hint: it isn’t your racism and intolerance.

Cindysue, I know you are trolling but I think philo may actually be (as i heard the other day) “developmentally delayed”. So you be gentle with your pushing him on.

CindySue, when you refer to the invasion of Iraq as “WOT”, which I presume means “War On Terror” and is a pretty silly characterization of the goat rope our military has been shoved into, I picture some really surprised old dude popping his eyes out as if he didn’t expect something that just bodychecked him and knocked the wind out of him.

WOT!

Which is pretty much what happened to the President when he invaded Iraq.

-Tom, former NYT subscriber, but still treasonous as evar!

I don’t think anyone here, and that includes you, Tom, cares whether I have any fun or not!

As far as the WOT and Iraq, yes, I figure that is as good a place to fight as any other. Good excuse (Saddam’s violations of UN sanctions), and a great strategic location. Oh, wait a minute! You object because it is mean to invade a small country like Iraq without just cause (disregarding that almost everyone did think Saddam had WMD’s)? Jeez, I guess the US must be the first country in history to be looking out for it’s best interests, hey? And then to have the temerity to advocate, and try to install, a democracy in said country! Oh fuck, we are so evil!

[/quote]

Greedo shot first.

I see the brainwashing machine is still in full effect.