Latest mechanical keyboard recommendations?

I despise weird layouts personally. TKL, full, or I’m out. Of course YMMV.

Yeah, that is partly why I’ve never went ahead and grabbed it. I’m not sure if I would adapt or not. It might be okay for coding, but even if I did get used to it, I doubt I would want to game with it. There are key chords for most keys that aren’t there. Luckily up to this point in life my hands haven’t given me trouble so regular keyboards have been fine.

I’m sure I could adapt with some difficulty, I just very much don’t want to!

Same question then as I asked @stusser …with no shine-through, does the backlight provide enough illumination to see the characters/symbols on the keycaps?

I have thought about 3d printing a keyboard as well. There are lots of cool projects on 3d printing the housing and then buying the keycaps and cables yourself to make some of those split keyboard form factors.

The keys look similar to what I have on my q3, and for me it isn’t adequate lighting to see a key in the dark if I have to look down unfortunately. I’ll look at it more closely tonight, and also look to see if the intensity can be changed in the software.

Edit: I should add that I have a keyboard tray that it is located on, so I don’t get light from the monitor hitting it. The via software does allow changing the brightness though, so I’ll see how it looks once it is dark.

Yeah you can see them fine on my brother’s keyboard.

I would say no. Here’s a photo of the 75 under a blanket with max backlight brightness.

Definitely have a look at the SteelSeries. I’ll take a pic of mine later if you want. All keys are legible in the dark.

Hmm, my Corsair has the shine through keycaps with four illumination levels, which I really like. If I get shine through keycaps that brings the NuPhy one to at least $150 IIRC, maybe 160. I’ll see what the Keychron offerings are.

@DaveLong I’ve looked for the Steel Series one but can’t seem to find it with brown switches at a reasonable price (Walmart appears to have it for 180), if they have it at all, at least with 10-key.

Thanks for the pic. BTW are you happy with the quality of your NuPhy? How long have you had it?

The solution to not having shine through key caps is to become a touch typist, duh. ;)

I’ll throw in more love for Keychron. I have the Q6 which is built like a brick. It has red switches which I like as well. I swear I can type faster with them, but that might be confirmation bias.

My numeric keypad has blue switches. I like to hear clicky clacks when I’m crunching numbers.

I am pretty much a touch typist @Gordon_Bleu , how do you think I manage to write all these rambling posts? ;-) Occasionally I do have to hunt for stuff on the number row, though. :D

This Keychron is full size, has the knob and everything, and I could always swap out the keycaps eventually. Only 90 bucks. BTW, what’s up with the four Playstation keys?

Keychron V6 Wired Custom Mechanical Keyboard Knob Version, Full-size QMK/VIA Programmable Macro with Hot-swappable Keychron K Pro Brown Switch Compatible with Mac Windows Linux Black

Very happy because I was having trouble finding that specific low-profile design anywhere else. I’ve had it since April 2023.

Well, that sucks you can’t find one. I paid at least $130 for it and I’d easily pay that or more again. It’s awesome. I have a SteelSeries headset I’ve been using a long time and love that too. They make great stuff.

I came here to recommend Keychron, but I see my work has been done for me.

I have one of their small BT/USB C keyboards I use when I need a portable/backup keyboard and really like it.

As a big fan of split designs, if my Cloudnine (personal) or Kinesis (work) ever give up the ghost, I’ll strongly consider the Q10 Max.

Whatever you do, don’t get a corsair, that’s all I’m sayin’.

Too late, I already got one years and years ago (maybe even as long as 10 years ago). First the K95, and when one of the LEDs died on it within the warranty, they sent me the K95 RGB Gaming. That one has held up pretty well.

I embedded this question in a post above for anyone familiar with Keychron, what’s up with the Playstation buttons (circle triangle square X)?

Another Keychron. Grabbed one of these recently and it’s been great.

As an aside, I got a jar of this stuff today and it really does work.

https://a.co/d/j5thyvY