LawBreakers - CliffyB's Boss Key joint

F2P arena shooter. “Skill not streaks” is apparently the motto.

What the hell is that trailer? Short tech demo for UE4?

Are F2P arena shooters then next MOBA craze?

-Todd

Yes, as far as I can see.

Arena shooter? The only games that come to mind when I hear that is Unreal Tournament and Q3Arena. Is that what they mean by Arena shooter?

Pretty much, although the meaning of “arena shooter” has gotten muddy over the years. Overwatch, by Blizzard, is considered an “arena shooter” by many just because it’s not CoD or Battlefield.

Edit: For me a true arena shooter must have map spawn weapons/powerups. No loadouts or perks or skill trees. Just you and an opponent (or multiple ones) in an enclosed space with a default peashooter weapon going at it and trying to control the map.

In this context, mostly TF2 and Blizzard’s upcoming Overwatch.

There is also Hi-Rez’s new announcement:Paladins

Guerilla Cambridge is announcing one soon I think.

Gearbox has Battleborn.

It just seems like a lot of developers are chasing this particular genre, F2P or not.

-Todd

The setting seems interesting, and if anything the teaser gave a strong indication of the art style, which I like. I want something futuristic, but not in the half-step CoD sorta way.

Well, I just lost all interest in this - A shame, would have loved another post apocalyptic open world!

I still enjoy TF2 from time to time, so I’ll give this a try when it comes out.

Gameplay

Literally Overwatch + Unreal Tournament.
From Overwatch it takes the bigger focus on variety of classes (different weapons, movement skills, abilities, etc) and from UT a bigger skill ceiling, the less cartoony and more “realistic” graphics and the scifi aesthetics.

Though we could say the part it takes from Overwatch isn’t really from Overwatch, it’s just taken fro the current market trends (f2p model, class variety taken from MOBAs, etc). So it’s just a UT done for modern times.

Disappointing. I was hoping Cliff would bring something new to the table, but it seems he just opted for the easy market trend product.

This is no longer F2P. It’s going to be B2P, but likely less than $60 at launch.

“Is there a gray area between free-to-play and 60 dollars?” Bleszinski asked the crowd.

“We did a lot of discussions and even more research. There are some core free-to-play games that do well, but for us, we didn’t want to go down the well of players buying ‘energy’ or other sleazy things,” Bleszinski said. “A lot of core gamers have a negative reaction when they hear free-to-play because they think they’ll get ripped off.”

The art style has been revamped.

What’s the b in b2p?

“buy to play”

God, I hope this is another example signaling the end of the F2P trend.

-Todd

There is a kind of… saturation in that market segment, so companies are finally noticing making a game f2p, even if it’s also good, it’s no recipe for success.

But of course, being a game you have to pay for, doesn’t exclude the possibility of microtransactions! ;)

I always get CliffyB mixed up with Cliffski. Was quite confused why Cliffski was coming out with a 3d shooter.

With Clash Royale seemingly being a huge hit, even with people who don’t like f2p, I doubt it.