LawBreakers - CliffyB's Boss Key joint

Possibly pivotal weekend for Lawbreakers here, as they combine a free weekend with a 50% off sale price on Steam right now.

Feels like this could be it if it doesn’t bring numbers.

Didn’t they just have one of these free/50% off weekends, which didn’t change anything.

Correct! They had one a month ago, and got at least a dozen of new players after it ended.

After this one they might have more players than staff.

I think the problem with LawBreakers is that the mechanics/maps/game modes are not intuitive.

Games like Overwatch and Paladins are. The first time you log in you can have great experience and feel you are
contributing to the team and to whatever the goal of the game mode you are playing.

I picked up LawBreakers when it first came out, and my initial experience was the exact opposite. I wasn’t sure what I was supposed to do, where to go in the maps, what the goal was, what my player abilities where as opposed to the other classes.

To get more understanding about the mechanics you need to watch the training videos in the game and then use the ‘practice’ mode and experiment but the practice mode is just bots on a map with no goals. Really too much of an investment considering the competition and as a result I immediately moved on and haven’t played since that first weekend.

Lawbreakers just hit single digit concurrent players (9 currently playing).
I’m guessing the free weekend didn’t go so well.
http://steamcharts.com/app/350280

Wonder if the 41 pc players in the last 24hrs is enough to support the game via their lootbox system in place.

;)

Maybe they should’ve released it as F2P, or even Free Trial.

They absolutely should have. They should have launched as F2P along with a $30 “get everything” package.

It is mandatory that these games get a critical mass of players, otherwise it’s just a downward spiral into the toilet. You do not want to put a $30 barrier in the way of people that have plenty of solid F2P options to choose from.

It’s the same thing that killed Battleborn.

It’s also the same thing that caused PUBG and Overwatch to be dead on arrival.

No, wait…

PUBG is a phenomena and Overwatch is Blizzard. If Lawbreakers had Blizzard’s name and marketing muscle, they could have priced at $60 and been successful.

Those are outliers and exceptions, though. I certainly wouldn’t point to WoW’s millions of subscribers as proof that subscription MMOs are a path to success in 2017.

Arjan Brussee, the co-founder of Bosskey, has left the studio to join Epic Games to work on a new project.

Nexon Writes Down Entire Value of Lawbreakers, Blames PUBG For Game’s Failure
https://mmos.com/news/nexon-writes-entire-value-lawbreakers-blames-pubg-games-failure

It seems that Lawbreakers is now valued at 0$.

Blames PUBG? Didn’t OW eat it’s lunch right out of the gate, even setting aside the commercial decisions of the launch.

Yea, but that would be admitting to all the problems they’d been constantly warned about for ages. They can treat PUBG like an unforseen anomaly and not come off like idiots.

Instead now they can look like idiots and liars instead. Good for them.

I watched a podcast where they dove into this a bit and was amused when they mentioned that H1Z1 KotK still did really well and even improved player counts after PUBG’s launch, and it’s an identical genre game. If PUBG doesn’t even hurt a clone in the same timeframe not sure how you can even remotely blame it for a game that is nothing like it. so weird.

Begs the obvious question, why then did this fail? Considering, the people who’ve played it say it’s pretty good…

Overwatch.

Character design that ranged from ‘meh’ to awful. It looked like a FPS from 2000s. Metal parts, aggressive, edgy dudes, and outdated sense of ‘cool’.

Characters with an instant appeal are super important in this new genre of character-centric games (Mobas and their descendants).

In addition, it was a too fast, too hardcore FPS for these times.