Lawyerly law stuff that's interesting

WSJ reporting his co-conspirator is CNN analyst and Jussie Smollett lawyer Mark Geragos.

Avenatti is a good example of why folks need to fucking WAIT before they throw their support behind new unknown folks, who just happen to be saying shit that you want to hear.

And he’s not the only guy who falls into this category.

As someone who caught on REALLY quickly to Avenatti’s milkshake duck-ness, I would say that those who did embrace him weren’t doing so without any merit. As Ken White has said many times on his podcast, Avenatti was (once) a pretty respected attorney who won some very strong judgments in important cases.

His weird self-destruction seems to have happened almost in real time over the last 12-15 months.

I don’t think too many people, if anyone, thought of Avenatti except as a sleazy slimy lawyer that happened to be the enemy of the President at the time. He sure seemed to get caught up in the celebrity of it all.

There is definitely a crazy pro-Avenatti twitter mob.

Ahh, I meant here. You can find crazy pro-(insert literally anything here) twitter mobs without too much trouble I’m sure!

So where’s the damaging information on Nike? Avenetti is a total scumbag but I still want to know what information he had that he thought they’d pay him $20 million for.

Nike should just publish the dick pics that it sent its lover before Avenatti can release them.

As best I can tell, it’s all about the Benjamins. It seems as if he’s had money troubles for awhile (bankruptcy of former firm), which have been coming to roost lately.

A couple of thoughts on that.

1. NIKE knows that they’re likely to come under the same suspicions and investigations as Adidas; the Feds are already looking into their AAU and EYBL teams/leagues, which funnel the most elite players to basketball programs. So for NIKE’s lawyers to say “Let’s go to the Feds with this,” may say something about how much truth Avenatti’s client possessed.

2. By Avenatti using that information to extort – if Avenatti is convicted – he’s essentially tainted that evidence beyond any use it might have.

NKIE info?

The AAU coach in question is, according to ESPN, Gary Franklin who ran Cal Supreme out of the Los Angeles area for years and was recently cut by Nike.

While no specific players or college programs are mentioned in the indictment, Cal Supreme’s website features a list of recent alums who are prominent current and former college players — Brandon Williams (Arizona), Deandre Ayton (Arizona), Bol Bol (Oregon), Tevian Jones (Illinois), Jordan Schakel, (SDSU), Ethan Thomas, (Oregon State), Brandon McCoy, (UNLV), Justice Sueing, (Cal), Johan Matthews, (USC), DeAnthony Melton, (USC) and Milan Acquaah (Washington State).

“A suit and tie doesn’t mask the fact that at its core this was an old-fashioned shakedown,” U.S. Attorney Geoff Berman said.

Geragos is also the lawyer for Colin Kaepernick, who has a lucrative endorsement contract with Nike.

https://twitter.com/GoddessLilith66/status/1109871507050848256
https://twitter.com/JaneEBoon/status/1110287225621602305

Riding crops = dangerous weapons (ie deadly weapons)
You know, like guns, knives and swords.

Generally defined as: "Any object designed, made, or adapted for the purposes of inflicting death or serious physical injury can be considered a deadly weapon. "
Obviously riding crops are designed for the purpose of inflicting death and serious physical injury.

Edit:

The term “dangerous weapon” is very broad. I have seen this charge arise from stabbing someone with a knife, to attempting to hit someone with a car, to throwing a drink in someone’s face.

It’s almost like the government should define things or something.

In MA “dangerous weapon” apparently means any form of matter. I mean you could kill someone with a nerf bat if you tried hard enough, which apparently is all that’s required to declare something a dangerous weapon.

They did define it. Some of those interpretation s are clearly contradicted by the definition.

The real problem is that consent is irrelevant.

Which should honestly mean that boxing or martial arts are illegal. If I punch you in the face, kick you, or grapple you and consent is irrelevant than… how the hell aren’t they? They’re only illegal if you sell tickets or whatever near as I can tell.

I mean the answer is obvious: they aren’t activities that “perverts” are involved in so they don’t give a shit.

Also not involving weapons, so presumably a different statute

Eh, Kendo uses bamboo swords.
Fencing also involves dangerous weapons.

But no one really cares about fencing, because it’s assumed that the intent is not actual harm. However, that would also apply to folks spanking each other for sex.

Seems like a dumb application of the law.

In wonder how literally every college in MA’s fencing teams feel about this.

The image of two people going at each other with pointed sticks conjures up danger, but the reality is that fencing swords are not really sharp or pointy. Hockey sticks and baseball bats are way more dangerous. But given the history of prosecutions in MA, perhaps even brandishing a banana would get you in trouble.