Lawyerly law stuff that's interesting

He was involved with both of the above articles.

Rekieta and KiwiFarms went after him (first article) and he’s part of Akiva Cohen’s “legal army” (second article).

I hold no brief for Hunter Biden, but this ruling on the eve of his gun trial seems like a reversible error.

Tl;dr: Biden is being tried for allegedly lying about his drug use on a form he filled out to buy a gun. It turns out that the form wasn’t completely filled out when he bought the gun. Employees of the gun shop have admitted that they filled some of the information in years later (e.g. Biden’s address, his second form of ID), and the form has at least two different colors of ink used on it. The employees testified that because he was the son of a famous person, they wanted to get him out of the shop quickly. Biden’s legal team planned to use this evidence and testimony to cast doubt on the question of who actually checked the box at issue in the case. But the judge has ruled the altered form and the testimony inadmissible, saying that just because the employees admit altering one part of the form later doesn’t mean they altered another part earlier; and that a wrong done by the employees has no bearing on whether Biden committed a crime. That’s true enough, I suppose, but this sure seems like reasonable doubt territory to me. The employees have admitted that they let him skip filling out required parts of the form in order to get the sale done quickly, and then they filled it in for him later, but he’s being tried based on the contents of the form!

Here is Marcy Wheeler with some more detail.

Seems to me altering a Federal form after the fact might possibly be some kind of crime…

Also, oh look at that, an actual arguably politically motivated prosecution!

I have some bad news for everyone outside of Kansas.

If you were to look for a right to vote in the U.S. Constitution or Bill of Rights, you might have trouble finding one. Surprisingly, nowhere in the original text does it say that U.S. citizens have a right to vote. Instead, much of the government’s authority to protect voting rights stems from amendments adopted following the civil war and legislation passed during the civil rights movement.

It’s quite hard to find a right to vote in the US constitution, if you don’t want it to be there.

https://x.com/cathyrusson/status/1800225739478073808

What case is this? Are we supposed to know who Woody is?

So, if I understand it…
Defense lawyer complains that the Judge secretly met with prosecutors, without telling the defense.
Judge asks him who told him that.
Defense lawyer refuses to say.
Judge throws defense lawyer into jail on contempt.

That seems weird.

And a witness.

And I assume from the tweets, that a meeting like that (prosecutor, witness, judge, but no defense) is unheard of? Why would the judge agree to it?

Georgia’s justice system seems like a complete shitshow and they usually get away with it.

https://x.com/ASFleischman/status/1800252062183378968

Well it seems to me that the judge is going to be in a bit of a pickle, isn’t he? Doubling down and putting the defendant’s lawyer in jail for revealing this meeting was probably a bad idea…

Basically every lawyer I follow has burst into flame at this stage.

I’m seriously wondering if we need the Feds to go to Georgia and sort their shit out because this seems to be a systemic issue of general fuckery.

Hopefully angry flames.

For Greenfield this is a pretty extreme reaction.

“I know one of you is a snitch, so I’m just going to arrest all of you.”

Is this judge having a mental breakdown? So bizarre!

I am curious whether this judge is going to have some sparkling consequences served up.