League of Legends: Official Thread

Oh wow! That’s a hell of a first match to broadcast!

Yeah, I’m super stoked. We’re going to do our first test session tomorrow on 6 LCK group stage matches (best of three) and then 2 playoff games each from the LEC and LCS. Basically we’re going to be collecting data across a bunch of different vectors to see if we can put together smart groups who know something and can make picks and train our machine learning logarithms that we use for other traditional sports.

And if we can, we’re going to be all on in the Summer LCS.

OK, that was great. :D

Fortunately, that’s right around the same awesome/boring ratio as regular sports.

Hi there, I start playing League of Legends a few days ago and I want to get some tips or some Nasus Counters. Who is better against him and who is the worst. I played a few games against him and my ass get kicked so any advice would be nice.

He suffers against poking champions, you can try teemo with phase rush and boots to start.

League of Legends has a notable fan:

That’s awesome. As if I couldn’t dig her more.

She mains Sona. She also plays Soraka, Lulu and I forget who else but all healing supports. :)

After I saw that tweet I went to reinstall, turns out it’s been 9 years.

Let’s see if people still hate Teemo.

I’m going out on a limb here and I’m going to say “yes, they probably still do”

but you know what - fuck them. Report for duty, you crazy bastard.

Do runes still exist? I am googling up but i can’t find where they are hidden.

edit: okay, I found it in the briefcase icon. Confusing!

Also LOL related: how in hell did Cloud9 lose to 100T last weekend?

I think a mix of:

1. C9 Playing an aggressive early game with a losing jungle matchup
  2. C9 with no globals
  3. C9 with a non-roaming, farm and XP dependent midlaner
  4. 100T actually giving someday a capable 1v1 hyperscaling champ

Not sure if the C9 botlane was particularly practiced on wukong with fasting senna either.

Basically they drafted totally differently than they do every other game (winning jungle matchup + supportive/roaming midlaner with pressure), but played like they do every game?

Zven had played Wukong either earlier in the weekend in that TSM match, or last weekend. Can’t remember which, but he looked good on that champ.

It seems like teams are doing everything they can to slow down Blaber’s early game jungle farming. For the first half of the round robin it’s like he’s been playing a different game…but in C9’s last few matches opponents have been either keeping up with him on gold or even surpassing him. Or at least that’s what it looks like to my still fairly untrained eyes. :)

But keeping up or surpassing him early game is due to

1. The matchup he’s in
  2. Lane matchups

If your lanes don’t have pressure (ie: can’t get out of the lane first for a skirmish) and you can’t win the 1v1 on your own, you’re going to be behind. All those neutral objectives like crabs are real important early game, and you can’t get those if your laners help you but the other laners can help the other jungler (or at least force them to stay in lane.) Karma and Ashe is a fucking bully lane, especially against a melee+ a champion with very little push. Jayce should win top lane early, Cassio and Galio should split mid early but galio should have first roam priority.

Watch the first few minutes of the game - someday smashes top lane and gets control (in a matchup where jayce should be controlling the lane), then after a successful gank on Jayce for a kill (and a teleport burn earlier) Jayce is behind, and someday can roam on Camille and stop those neutral objectives like crab. That alone would put J4 behind, but it’s worse when camille can roam into J4’s jungle and just kill him. That’s where the global on 100T’s side is really good - it’s a standard power couple, where camille ults someone so they can’t escape galio’s incoming ult damage (that combo has been run in previous years a TON in pro play.) You can’t even flash out of that. Meanwhile, Olaf takes a bunch of J4’s jungle so he has less XP/gold to get when he comes back into play, AND the lanes are harder to gank because he’s behind.

Once J4 is behind, he can do less and less besides be a CC bot - maybe he flags in for an ultimate, then flashes out before he dies. Blabber has had success playing stronger early jungle champs backed up by supports, and that’s exactly what 100T picked this game. There’s no real champs to support blabber’s early aggressive play style in the comp - C9 tends to draft at least one supportive pick that buffs up a jungler, and often the midlaner plays for the jungler, but not this time.

I really think a lof of this game down to the draft, and Jayce never really materializing as a champion.

Btw, you should watch the DRX/DWG games from korea. These were pretty spicy.

That’s a great point about Jayce just never doing anything. I think I’ve seen that happen a couple of times on him in the top lane – and also on Mordekaiser and Volibear in the top too, in various games…where essentially if they fall behind, it almost feels like their team is playing 5 on 6…or at least 5 1/2 on 6.

As a macro observation – and here I’m just going on what I’ve read, and kind of retconning by watching spring split matches too – is that the LCS play style has seemed kind of slow-ish and deliberate. It’s definitely a marathon to scale up, or at least seems that way. And what C9 has done/been doing is playing super-aggressively in the early game taking away the scaling for the other teams.

And it seems to me like since about Week 3 in the summer split, some of the teams who thought of themselves as 2nd best in the LCS (FlyQuest, TSM, EG) have tried to adapt and play that more aggressive style…and it hasn’t worked out super well for them. (Especially thinking of EG, who just look chaotic and disorganized and lost right now). Meanwhile, TL have been playing the more deliberate, scale-up slow game…and suddenly they’re a game back. Which is all my way of saying, Jiizuke has made me want to throw things more often than anyone else in the LCS this season. Clearly a gifted, daring player who sees things that others may not…but damn, so often it’s seemed like he’s crossed over from “aggressive” to “what in the hell were you doing, dude?”

Oh, and thanks for the LCK recommendations. I’ve been meaning to catch up since the mid-season cup back in May!

BTW, espressojim, thanks for taking the time to write up the tactical considerations and how they affect map strategy the way you did! For someone who’s completely hooked on the pro game now, stuff like this helps a TON with the learning curve!

When I started playing a bit again after a similar time, my account had been taken over due to me not using real passwords back then, but surprisingly they recovered it to me with little fuss. I guess it helped that the thief got himself banned years ago so it was basically like giving me a new account with some free stuff, but still, I was impressed with their support.

The game client is somehow still awful though and I can’t understand how nearly a decade later there’s fewer maps and modes than the last time I was playing. I mean, I guess the market has spoken, but it’s still just sad.

The strict lane roles is kind of annoying but at least sometime since I last played they fixed the ADC support not getting to actually play the game.

My experience has been that my team is mad because I picked him instead of a character with a hard CC or burst and the other team is mad because of the mushrooms, so everybody is unhappy. :/

More maps and modes splits the player base, and it’s pretty small in the US to begin with. They do have rotating game modes to mix things up somewhat.

I really like the support getting gold from poking enemies item. It’s the fun part of laning for me.

Is there a way to change the Recommended items thing to builds, like how DOTA does it? Like say I want a DPS build, a jungle build, etc