Leaving Quarter to Three (and no longer sponsoring the site)

Hahahaha as if I’d ever consider any point you are trying to make around the text calling me a snowflake.

I will confess to not having read everything he has posted, to be honest there are pages and pages of stuff. He has written a few things that have seen that made me uncomfortable, and I think he then tried to walk them back and say that he chose his words poorly.

I think saying he is “conservative spin doctor” is probably being too easy on him though.

Dude, we’re all finding a forum we like. Every week people “take their balls and go home.” This is just a very public declaration of such, from a member with a large personal stake in the forum (of his own choosing, of course) and a long history. Wumpus is only different in that he had money and he had software he wanted us to use. The software is good, the money helped Tom when he needed it most (as far as I can tell, I don’t want to talk for Tom here), and the transition from ads to patreon went swimmingly (I’m not saying wumpus largely drove the last part, but he helped at least a little).

We can all call him a drama queen and not listen to him as much as we want, but trying to invent some alternate reasoning around less than savory things for him leaving is a stretch to say the least.

And I agree with the feature request stuff, that was grating. I’m not defending everything he’s done here, just this one thing.

Tell me then, why would having one loose cannon somehow reflect poorly on you? Especially one that is obviously so reviled by the masses.

Can’t it be both? Like, from what I recall, the whole reason he kept pushing to move Qt3 to Discourse (and put up money and sweat equity to do it when that transition happened) was because he enjoyed participating here but hated the forum software.

That’s the world now, my fellow old fashioned friend. Politics is personal.

Wise.

He enters a thread I’m interested in, having a discussion with people about, and then destroys it. Singlehandedly makes it 100% about his views. He moves the Overton window. Basically, it’s Trumpian. He’s “winning” here, that’s for damn sure.

I’m glad he decided to sequester himself, because he’s limited his own impact. But Tom has made it clear that it was not a moderation decision there, that was gman’s own call. That is a shitty decision and it reflects on the forum.

I would argue that while he is surely the catalyst, the people who then enter that thread for the sole purpose of yelling at him are as much to blame.

I did at one point believe that politics stood aside from everything else, and that stopped the moment I had friends call me out and tell me that politics personally affected them all the time. When one side is eroding civil rights of another, it’s no longer just “politics”. I’m in a position to just ignore this stuff because it doesn’t affect me, but I choose not to because it affects people I love.

This is the wrong thread for this discussion though, so I’ll stop.

The alternative is not challenging his views, which is also a shitty thing to do. I’m happy that people are there challenging him. But if you’re watching a movie and some dude gets up at the front of the theater to do a one man show, neither ignoring him nor participating with him in his show are the right thing to do.

The people challenging his beliefs are fine, it’s the constant “why isn’t he banned yet?” or “get this Nazi racist out here” that are annoying.

And I guess this software doesn’t have the ability for people to IGNORE an individual?

That’s… an interesting subject

No it does not. I offered to attempt to code it (as the resident ignore script guy) when wumpus relented that it wasn’t a 100% bad idea oh my god let me show you this data that says that it’s not even asked for and also it ruins communities. But he never responded that he wanted me to and perhaps the time has passed now.

There’s zero invention here. He’s decided he would create a whole new thread so he could tell everyone why Qt3 is no longer worthy of his money or his presence. I could just let the whole thing slide but what the hell, it’s a slow Monday morning. Maybe Derek will post something new about Star Citizen to distract me.

Quite frankly, who cares?
This is a website owned by a single person (and always has been?). They are a King and this is their kingdom. If you dislike the website then by all means stop visiting.

As a side note, I’m glad that freedom of speech is respected here. If you disagree with the topic or discussion in a thread then don’t read it.

Simple.

There are a hundred posts in this thread prior to yours. So, I think the answer to your question could be found by scrolling up ;)

Calling him a drama queen is sort of unnecessary and unhelpful but makes sense to me in response to his thread.

The posts you wrote above didn’t feel like that’s what you were doing. They felt like hushed whispers of some conspiracy nut talking about how wumpus was trying to take over or something.

-thousand yard stare-