Left 4 Dead 2

Valve has announced. Details and gameplay footage

pretty early for a sequel…

Where are my free content packs ALA TF2 & the Survival mode pack? Or is L4D the cash cow that allows that to happen?

EDIT: Arrested Development reference in the video. Interesting.

EDIT #2: Wow. The quality of voice acting in these videos on IGN is just awful.

I remember when the game had been out for 3 or 4 months everyone was always saying “I wish they’d make new levels and new zombies, I’d pay for them!” Well here we go. I for one am totally willing to shell out another 50 bucks for a sequel, and those of you who aren’t can just wait a little bit for a sale on it.

I definitely didn’t expect them to support it the way they have supported TF2, it’s crazy how much work has been done and given to the TF2 community for free.

More of the same but in happy sunny cartoon land. Why?

It DOES seem pretty early for a whole new game as a sequel. An add-on pack I could see but I didn’t see anything new in the trailer to justify a whole new SKU. Same characters, boomers, etc. Weird.

Five new campaigns, all with co-op, versus, and survival mode, plus one upcoming mode.
Valve debating to include the original four campaigns for convenience.
Plus there are a lot of mechanic and system changes.

Uh… totally different characters.

1. Chet states that they will continue to support L4D

2. New zombie types, one of which counters camping (fuck yeah!)

3. Crescendos fixed.

Day 1 purchase here, hell I’ll preorder if they let me in on a beta/demo.

Looks like all the survivors are now black. someone in a chatroom said maybe its Louisiana.

Looks awesome. if they bundle the first game with it… dear god.

Uh… totally different characters.

Really? OK, I guess the video compression made the voices sound similar then. Admittedly, I haven’t played the game a ton so take my opinion on such things with a grain of salt.

Every publisher wants a Madden game, something they can trundle out once a year and call it new and sell loads of copies. They don’t like the 2-3 year development schedule.

Can’t you guys squeeze out a new Gears of War once a year? C’mon! :)

It would seem smarter, to me, to release this as an add-on/patch for the first game. Keep the community together, you know?

It’s New Orleans. The music sounds… weird.

I really, really hope that this isn’t finalized voice acting. The original four survivors had more personality in their little fingers than these new ones, so far.

I wouldn’t worry too much about that. Valve does great characters.

It’s true, they do. That’s why these surprise me.

guess its time to start milking the franchise…

i was pretty blindsided and disappointed with this announcement.

It surprises you that a 30 second (Maybe) video and the first taste of the game doesn’t have lots of plot depth? Damn!

I wish they were using L4D as a platform. I’d love to add to my game, but I don’t really want to go buy a whole new copy.

I prefer the way Bethesda is handling expanding Fallout by releasing DLC.

Nobody’s talking about plot depth, DGS. Like, at all.

From RPS:

Coach is a high school football coach from the Savannah area, used to leading the kids, comfortable in his life, and perhaps not enamoured by the arrival of a zombie attack. There’s Rochelle, from Cleveland originally, working for a cable news network. She’s producing a segment on this strange story occurring in Savannah, and gets caught up in the events. Ellis is a Southern boy mechanic, an enthusiastic but smart guy with a “Southern flair”. Finally there’s Nick, a gambler and a conman, unsure of his company and cynical about the events.

There’s more stuff there, like how the game starts in Savannah and gets to New Orleans, but RPS is pretty broken at the moment. Took me a few reloads to get the page to work.