Left 4 Dead 3 spotted

A Dota 2 group was touring Valve and one of the participants snapped a photo of a workstation monitor.

Not a big revelation, but it’s interesting to see some confirmation that it’s being worked on.

Orange Box 2. HL3 + L4D3. Believe!

Ha! Well, that’s how they got me to buy Team Fortress 2 even though I’d never buy that in a million years. And that’s how I feel about L4D3 after playing the first two. So if it is part of Orange Box 2, I guess I might get it after all. :)

Wait, didn’t Valve purchase the “When it’s done” completion date from 3DRealms bankrupcy assets for use with HL3?

rezaf

It’s really too bad (unless pictures and disclosure were authorized) that people can’t have the grace to accept the compliment of a behind the scenes tour like this without biting the hand that feeds them.

No, I’m pretty sure they’ve had their own version trademarked for some time. Valve Time™ is a pretty big deal in certain circles. Greatly superior to the 3D Realms version, Valve Time™ can stretch infinitely and is isolated to a single developer, while 3D Realms only went so far and infected many other developers before the failure.

Why would Valve buy an inferior product when they can make a better one themselves? I’m pretty sure that’s their motto, after all.

I kinda feel this way, but at the same time… Whoooooo Left for Dead 3!!!

I hope that campaigns are branching and have multiple paths! I hope that there’s some sort of zombie mode where you just kill innocents people and turn them into zombies! I hope they’re working on it with Occulus Rift support in mind!

Whoooooo!

Well hey, you can’t expect MOBA players to understand social graces!

Perhaps L4D3 is the secret project name for HL3 :)

Meh, nothing here is a shocking surprise, exactly. A third entry in the L4D series, which for now it’s a iterative series (L4D2 was more of the same) and using Source 2 (which we knew from before it was also in development, together the games it will use it, for example, HL3).

Looks like I’m not too late to make a joke about how this can’t be real because Valve can’t count to three.

(I never ended up playing L4D or L4D2, so L4D3 doesn’t affect me too much.)

You don’t know what it’ll be called when it’s released.

L4D2 Ep2.

RPS has sources that confirmed the image. Not a surprise again.

However, the sources also mentioned that there may be some news rumbling at Valve regarding a change in direction.

Contrasting that to an extent, further rumblings – verified by multiple sources but not really elaborated upon because Valve – suggest an internal feeling of change in recent times due to the success of potentially un-ending mainstay games like Valve’s own DOTA 2 and League of Legends.

I thought we knew this from before? Back when Gabe started talking about games as a service instead of being just consumable experiences?

That’s nothing new, no. Especially with Big Picture trying to take over the living room, and the Valve Box, and their focus on becoming an alternative (I won’t say contender) to the Big Three. Hell, even TF2 seems to get more support than any of their other games, and it’s basically the same sort of thing; why would we expect different?

That being said, I would find it hard to believe that they would abandon all their existing projects and the ability to produce standalone “develop and release” stuff, y’know? Times, they are a-changin’, but to what extent?

Good news to me! I hoped they’d bang out a L4D3 someday, but nice to know it’s actually in the works.

Orange portals and blue portals. Orange Box had Portal 1. Blue Box with HL3, Left Three Dead, and Portal 3!

Left for Dead 1 & 2 were so amazing. After Portal 2 I can only imagine how amazing Half-Life 3 may be!

I would like something new. Same universe maybe, but another rail shooter does not excite me for Half life. L4D3 does excite me just because L4D 1 and 2 is my favorite multiplayer experience in the past 5 years. More of that is better.

I’m ready for L4D3. Sending out messages to the QT3 L4D group will kinda feel like getting the band back together. It’s time, lets hit the road boys.

exactly.