[LEGAL]: Will and Testament questions

Yes, but Mr. Howell also wrote, in juice, a map of the Hawaian islands on Ginger’s back, so that he could get off on the island. He paid her far less than a million dollars, however; Mrs. Howell got a nice diamond ring and washed the coconut dishes furiously the whole time.

GINGER TO MARYANN: Ewwww. HE SAID IT WAS BERRY JUICE AND IT WOULD GET US OFF THIS FUCKING ISLAND!

Hehe, it did not. :) Turns out it is surgery involving breasts though.

I am all about jokes no matter how off color in times of anxiety. No worries.

Breast cancer? Whatever it is good luck. It’s hard to have someone you care about go under the knife.

Didn’t want to be an attention whore. :) and yes and thanks.

While you are looking in to all this Ty, also consider a living trust (which is along the lines of what fire meant when she mentioned eatin^H^H^H^H your brain).

And a power of attorney. A durable POA gives one person (the attorney in fact) the ability to act on behalf of another living person (the principal). The big two things it should cover are medical decisions and financial decisions. POAs expire when the principal dies.

A (living) trust is an entity which is administered by a trustee for the benefit of the trustor. Trusts don’t die along with the trustor, so you make provisions for a succession of trustees (or co-trustees) to administer your wishes before and after your death. Trusts are AWESOME, but I implore you to involve a good attorney because there are many ins and outs (quick example: what happens if the trustee becomes incapacitated and a third party has a POA for her?).

Wills are used to determine what your wishes are at the time of your death. They can be contested and fought and argued over, and also need to involve a good attorney. Doubly so because each state has remarkably different laws on estate handling, inheritance tax declaration, domicile laws, small estate settlements, etc.

I’m with Damien on this one. This should set off alarms, since I usually just disagree with Damien automatically because it makes him mad and that is fun. Also, he is cute when he is exhasperated and exhausted from furious tremors cascading across his soul and thighs caused by apoplectic fits of impotent rage stemming from my boobish, contrarian nature. Sometimes it is not time for fun, so I will say that he is right. Pay a lawyer to do it for you.

GET A LAWYER

Seriously, I’m doing this myself, and you should get an estate practice attorney to help you. It won’t take long, and probably cost all of $250-$500 depending on how complicated your estate is. If it’s just “the house and all my debt goes to my wife” then it’ll be easy, simple and probably cheap, IF you use a lawyer. All estate practice attorneys will mail you a set of forms to fill out pretty much detailing your estate. You send those back, make an appointment to come in and chat about then as well as living wills and other fun stuff, and most of the time you leave with a signed and notorized Last Will and Testament in hand.

Doing it through the attorney saves you time and makes everything solid should the day come when you or your family need to exercise the document. Do it yourself kits don’t offer this security, and trust me, probate court hassles are not worth saving $200.