Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Oh cool, so the emulator actually uses your Nintendo account? Pretty neat.

Works great, 45-60fps at 1440p.

Doesn’t that screw with the physics, which I understand were based on a 30fps lock? I guess PC modders would be hard at work to ‘fix’ that. :)

More CPU dependent than GPU, as the Wii U has a seriously weak GPU.

Well emulation usually takes a good amount of CPU power!

I’m temped by the higher res, but Switch portability sways me back. And can I convince myself that since I own the Switch version, I’m ‘entitled’ to download the Wii-U version? Hmm…

Yeah modders figured out how to unlock the framerate without messing up gameplay outside of shrines. It wasn’t a trivial thing, either.

Morality is relative, but as far as I’m concerned once you pay for a game once you’re entitled to run it on every platform from now until the heat death of the universe, when suns die down to cinders and the average temperature is absolute zero.

It… does not use your account.

I’m sure most know that under the Switch news section, Nintendo frequently post BOTW gameplay tips. These are usually fairly straightforward things like conserving stamina while climbing, using the firerod, and how to use the environment to cook. One neat thing I just heard about was that if you click the link on the tips page to open the game, Nintendo gives you some free items related to the tip that you just watched.

It’s a pretty cool way for Nintendo to incorporate the news section into their games.

I saw that just the other day alongside a tip that noted the Octorocks in the Death Mountain area will turn rusty weapons into perfectly good ones if you toss them into their mouths when they’re doing the inhaling thing!

Amazing that there’s still little mechanics and systems like this hidden away to discover!

It keeps me coming back to the game. I just saw this inspired move on Twitter:

Kotaku’s article about the video share Switch update contains some really great stuff.

Phew! Even with the new set of Amiibos releasing next month, I was expecting the second DLC pack to slip into 2018.

Nintendo detailed the second Breath of the Wild expansion at E3 in June, dubbing it the Champion’s Ballad, and promising a sizeable add-on adventure. But the company did not provide a release date during an expansive September online showcase of Nintendo’s holiday line-up, only providing a November 10 release date for a new array of Amiibo figures for the champion characters highlighted in the expansion. Asked if the Amiibo release dates indicated the date for the expansion as well, Fils-Aime said: “We will shortly be announcing the date for that content, so I would not lock and load on November 10th.”

So I finally got to play this, because I was finally able to buy a Nintendo Switch.

This game, as far as I’ve seen so far in my 12 or so hours of playing it, is a masterpiece. Captures the magic of Ocarina of time somehow. I’ve played and enjoyed multiple zelda titles since that one, but this is the first one that’s really amazed me in the same way.

Well done, Nintendo.

This is my feeling exactly after beating the first of the four main dungeons. Amazing game, and extremely non-derivative, which lately was very common in the franchise.

My GOTY so far hands down.

I’ve been playing this slowly since release, and just recently got my wife started on it. She’s not much of a gamer (beyond the Mario/Kart games, she’s only played Animal Crossing and Windwaker) but she’s completely hooked now. She just called me at work to gush about finding a giant horse.

It’s just amazing… it does so many things so well. The depth of the gameplay is surprising too, in terms of how you can do so many things due to various underlying mechanics.

Even 5 minutes into the game, I was doing stuff that was fairly simple, but still surprising. I accidentally swung the axe I had found, and swiped down a bunch of grass. This was reminicent of previous games, so that was neat… but then I swung it at a tree, and sure enough, could chop IT down. Or just bang on the tree to get apples to fall.

I lit a tree branch on fire near the old man, and was like, “Hey, I wonder if you can burn this bush…” sure enough, it caught fire… then it spread to the grass next to it, and to me.

It’s just all these little things, put together in this amazingly perfect way.

It’s been a long while since I have seen how amazing the Zelda team is at making games, but this highlights their skill in new ways. I honestly didn’t think it would be this good. I figured it’d be a mostly derivative and nostalgic experience, and I was ok with that… but they did something special with it, while still holding true to their roots.

I generally like games. Even games which other folks don’t like that much, I can almost always find something to enjoy about almost any game. But it’s rare that I have the experience that this game is giving me. Probably the last game to impress me to this extent was Witcher 3.

It really reminds me of Ocarina of Time in this regard. When we see it today, Ocarina is dated. But it still holds up, and at the time, Ocarina of Time was up there with the greatest games ever made in the entirety of video games, in my opinion at least. I think that literally everyone I know who ever played it loved it. I can see this game having a similar effect on folks, especially those who haven’t been exposed to games much in the past.

I think the witcher 3 is a very apt comparison, except that in the Witcher 3 a lot of what was there was there through sheer force of production. That’s a huge game with a huge amount of content, and that’s where it’s soul lies, but then a lot of that content is slightly sloppily slapped together. It’s understandable and a great game, but you could see the seams.

What I love about this one is that it evoques a comparable sense of awe towards it’s world with a tiny fraction of the content. It’s not really an expensive to produce game (comparatively). The amount of unique mechanics, enemies, terrain… It’s not that much for the size of the game. But it’s crafted so beautifully, which such care towards geography and biology, and avoiding repetition, and with such few extraneous elements (I would say almost none) that it works wonderfully in a way that’s both expansive and minimalist at the same time.

I think the coolest thing about all the incredible interaction in Breath of the Wild is how they arrived at much of it by simply looking backwards to the very first Legend of Zelda for inspiration.

Another confirmation that the second DLC will be releasing in 2017 comes via a special message for Nintendo’s antipodean fans, with Eiji Aonuma reassuring those hungry for new content that the team’s “currently working on it with great effort” and “it’ll be available by the end of this year.”

Yesterday, I foolishly missed that the GOTY thread on QT3 was specially for PC games, so I’ll post why I’m in love with BOTW here instead:

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild is my favorite game ever, and even 80 hours in, the game keeps presenting me with situations that throw me off balance; I can’t rely on rote gameplay reflexes. It’s not I don’t love the familiar, that’s what keeps me coming back to FPS campaigns, but there’s something about how the systems interact, complimented by just the right amount of authored/scripted content and feedback, which I just find myself losing hours to this thing (I can’t afford to stay up late!). I have to see if a certain tactic will let me avoid a nasty campfire, or if I can manipulate the physics system in a strange way to solve a puzzle, and the reactivity of the world is just a delight which never stops surprising me.

I know immersive is a word that gets thrown around too much, but I just find this game engages me in a way that others can’t approach, at least not since the original Thief. A week ago, I stumbled across the Iwata easter egg. It was such a gorgeous, sincere gesture that you don’t usually see in games.

It’s a beautifully engaging work of art that’s for sure, and unless something amazing happens with Xenoblade 2 it’ll be topping my list this year too. I struggle to think of any finer gaming experiences I’ve had.

It bounced off me when I tried to play, but after reading everyone’s compliments I am willing to try again. I’ve never played a Zelda game before, so I have no history with the series. My first attempt to play failed because the world was too open. I started, talked to that guy, did the first shrine or two (have a couple of powers) and then stopped because I couldn’t really figure out what to do next. Wandering the world led me to places where I would just freeze to death.

Is there a non-spoileriffic walkthrough or guide? This kind of open world just may be too open for me. I need more NPCs with exclamation marks floating above their heads. Supposedly there’s some kind of town or hub that I never found?

Cook some food to keep yourself warm.
You were going in the right direction.

How does one cook food? I think I tried throwing apples into a fire, but that didn’t work.

I don’t usually require this much handholding, but I guess I’m getting old :)

Some fires have a pot over them. Some do not. Those that do can be used to add ingredients to. You can hold multiple things in your arms at once and them drop them in the pot! Experiment!

You can also toss a single apple in a fire and provided it starts on fire, it will also cook. :)

Look for red spicy peppers for those cold areas. ;)

Basically, think about the game the same way you would think about interacting with things if you were really there. Yes, some of what you can do is “videogamey” but everything fits together in physically realistic and chemically realistic ways.