Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Here be that thread. And it is good.

Need Ice chuchu jelly? Drop regular jelly in cold water for a bit.

Jesus, this game.

Also… this. Perfect parry is OP.

Oh wow… I tried a bit of the stasis riding stuff, but this guy has it down

So Jim Sterling got death threats and DDOS’ed because he gave the game a 7 out of 10. One thing he pointed out was spending $300-$500 was a bit crazy, as for some people this is currently a single game console.

Ironically, he’d made a video a year or two ago talking about how enraged gamer fanboys will o anything to justify their expensive purchases because they’re so insecure with themselves. one thing he said is if you look at discussions for movie reviews, fanboys aren’t nearly as raging and insane as gamers are. His conclusion was a movie is an inexpensive throwaway experience. But games are not just a lot more expensive, but the time investment one may spend is huge… so it becomes personal when you look at a hundred hours vs. just 2 for a movie. There was a post about this on Polygon and I liked that the metacritic VP went in and defended Jim in the comments thread.

While I think that Jim’s review scores tend to be used more as a statement rather than a critical analysis (Overwatch was not considered for his GOTY because of loot boxes) So, if it is a topic that he really dislikes, like fee to pay games, or durabilty/survival mechanics, it is going to get a bad score. And while I agree with him on the weapon durability in the game being a weak point, I don’t think that makes an overall stellar game any less than an 9. I’d take a point off for the weapon durability.

But, he is allowed to give whatever the fuck he wants for a score. He REALLY disliked the weapon durability, enough to knock a few points of the score because of it. Fair enough, it is his review score to give. Think of it as identity-politics style reviewing. He is a single issue reviewer in some cases, which is totally fine. I can disagree with a reviewer (Tom Chick) and still enjoy his analysis.

But, man do fanboys get butthurt over stuff like this. OMG it isn’t a 98% on metacritic anymore, but a 97%! The sky is falling! This fake imaginary dick swinging number changed slightly.

What’s funny is you can never tell what gamers will rage over. I thought for sure they would go ballistic over the weapon durability. It seems like it’d be more of a constant annoyance compared to, say, vague concerns about DRM, or the presence of cosmetic DLC, or the ending of Mass Effect 3.

Who knows what they’re going to do!

I don’t think critics/reviewers should think of this as a game starting at 10 and then taking points off for its faults. Maybe @tomchick can correct me, but I bet most of them think of their overall experience when deciding on the final score. It goes hand in hand with it being a subjective thing, not an objective score of some kind.

By the way, I was thinking “man, the Zelda topic really blew up, I should catch up”, but it turns out you guys were mostly talking about amiibos.

Neither do I, but I was just using that as an example, like, I loved the game as a whole, but this system really bothered me, that makes it impossible for me to give the game a perfect score, so 9. It is completely subjective, and if people want to think of “start at 10, knock down until the score is right” they can do that. Or, all games are a 0, and they earn points.

Either way, people care far too much about scores.

It’s almost as if people think there are no new kids these days and they’re confused why these arguments from decades ago continue repeating today.

These arguments repeat endlessly because there are and will always be new kids in the hobby. Fretting so much about stupid arguments is a quick way to frustrate and stress yourself out.

Now: Zelda. What a fucking amazing game.

I would like to leave work now and play Zelda.

It’s simple - love the game? It’s-a 5 stars! It doesn’t need to be perfect.

And in my world, this is a 5 star game regardless of how much time and money I’ve spent on it… :)

Of course, Sterling can score what he likes, and I’ll go on being occasionally amused by his content without prejudice. Though on the 7-9 scale, the score is pretty bad if you care about such things… ;)

Only Zzap! ever got ratings right. I always knew that with a Hookability of at least 83% and a Lastability of at least 91%, a game would be worth buying.

http://www.zzap64.co.uk/cgi-bin/displayreview.pl?reviewid=107

4/5 - Graphics
5/5 - Sound
4/5 - Control
5/5 - Fun Factor
Adv. - Challenge

Lets get Gamepro up in here.

Maybe I was a bit hasty with that 5/5 fun factor.

[Quote]re save: spoiler info[/quote]I didn’t notice this stuff. It looks like I had a 22.24% map completion at the end of the game… this is with 83 hours played per the logs. Yea…

I feel dumb asking, but since you didn’t quote or reply to a specific post, what arguments are you referring to?

The entire conversation about reviews, whether you “start at 10 and subtract” or come to a score on its own, about metacritic, reviews as a “statement”, whether scores should exist at all, etc.

I feel like I’m in a Twilight Zone episode where conversations from the GFW Radio podcast from a decade ago are starting to repeat themselves.

Oh hahahaha yea.

I am now in some dungeon, and the game have turned in a horrible bad stealth game without stealth mechanics. Every time they kill me, they sent me back to the start of the dungeon, killing any progress. When they see me, a door close the exit, and mobs start magically spawn everywhere, even inside hidden tunnels. I can glitch my character in some place to be unkillable, and thrown at them magic explosives, but that don’t do much damage. My options are a) Stop playing this game, b) Stop playing this game, c) Play this game and never finish it.

I know where you are, Teiman. Are you luring them around? There’s really only one hard area and if you look around a bit from a good vantage point, you will find that you can avoid almost all of them and just make your way to the exit.

I’m with you, Teiman. This might be my end point with the new Zelda game. I just got there tonight and it sapped my total desire to continue experiencing the things they’ve painstakingly added to the game. Because of one lazy, stupid segment where they decided that rather than have any choice (which is one of the most refreshing parts of this game), instead they want to force you to play this shitty thing they did.

I’ll give it to my kids to see if they can succeed but the game is actually already way too hard for them though so I doubt it. They have their own saves and are having fun with it anyways, but being one-shotted all the time wears you down too.

Are you talking about the Yiga base? There are so many ways to think your way through it. You could make a stealth potion, or upgrade your Stasis rune to freeze them. You could also kill any of them in one hit by doing the sneak attack from behind.