Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Drop a wood and a flint, and hit with metal weapon. Fire!

I’ve decided I’m beating this game on Friday. I’m just too powerful at this point. I can climb for days, guardian blasts bounce off me. I am a god.

I hope hard mode fixes this but also doesn’t make the early game impossible.

I did that, but the sparks didn’t light the wood… how many trys do you need usually?

Just the one try usually lights it for me.

So it looks like those of us without Nintendo hardware will be able to play BotW after all… in emulation. On a PC.

In 4k.

It don’t look different to me.

Perhaps the times where a game would improve just by using the emulator are gone?

I am sure it looks, he… pristine, clear and supernice. To me a bigger resolution is a must if allow existing art in the game to look good (like is the case with many nintendo games) that in the original resolution are only visible has a blur of pixels, ruining the original artist work.

Now do HZD :)

Curious to see it as it improves. Looks like a lot of effects aren’t in yet.

I just want to point out, that this game is just… such a game made for me.

I love everything about it, even the weapon degradation (if it bothers you, get further in the game, and you are forced to drop this amazing weapon for an even better one.) I think that it is harsh early on, but only because the game doesn’t tell you to wait on combat until you are better prepared. I love that there is so much freedom and no hand-holding.

I am nearly completed in the Gerudo area (my third), and so far, this game has been a blast. This game is Zelda channeling studio ghibli. The design aesthetics, mechanics, and freedom of choice just make for a vast world of opportunity that feels impossibly huge with a rich deep lore spanning hundreds, if not thousands of years. Everything in this game is a joy. You are rewarded for exploring on your own, finding an odd spire to climb or a small island in a lake. This game isn’t afraid to kick your ass if you are not prepared, which makes the world seem so much more dynamic and depth. A very early foray near the castle was enough to warn me to give a wide berth when traveling nearby.

I love this game, probably my favorite game since Red Dead Redemption. (or minecraft)

I finally decided to complete the fourth divine beast yesterday. God damn every time I think this game has reached the heights of what’s possible in terms of demonstrating raw scale, it shows me something new. In this case, the Goron area. I’ve never seen a game do as much or as well with “see that thing over there? Eventually you’ll be in or on that thing”.

Sure Skyrim and others have done this, but something about how Zelda does it just continuously amazes me.

I have not once yet been to or even near Hyrule Castle. I’m not sure I’ll go there soon. But I can’t wait to find out what I see once I do go there.

Man, the Cemu guys sure are trying their hardest to get sued out of existence, aren’t they?

(I wouldn’t normally say this about an emulator developer, except that they’re currently bringing in $23K a month on Patreon for the explicit purpose of developing software for pirating games on a console presently available for mass-market purchase.)

Is CEMU for WiiU or Switch emulation? That’s pretty awesome. I’d love to apply a few mods to this game. :)

I dropped the flint like directly next to the wood, made sure to hit the flint and not the wood, and it lit right up. It’s not raining or something where you are, right?

CEMU is WiiU emulation, but from the Eurogamer comparison, they look largely identical with this game. WiiU runs at lower resolution and (usually) higher framerate.

They aren’t necessarily targeting pirates; you could buy the game and then rip it off the disk. I agree that most people won’t actually do that, of course. At most they’ll buy the game then download it from the internet which is morally OK but legally dubious.

Anyway, most criticism of this particular title is that it runs like a frickin’ dog, and the emulator should fix that nicely once done.

But you’re meant to buy Nintendo hardware to play the game, so how is it morally okay? It sounds morally dubious.

I’m head-over-heels on this. My wife and I picked it up at launch, and have been playing it pretty regularly ever since(or as much as we can). I wisely cancelled my ME:A pre-order, but now I’m wondering if we won’t be playing this game into summer.

@Profanicus is correct. Just owning the game doesn’t give you any moral high ground to stand on when you play this on your PC instead of buying a Wii U.

Now, an argument could be made for owning a Wii U and the game, and playing in on the PC I suppose, but it’s still a legal grey area. And knowing Nintendo, I highly doubt they are cool with this guy showing this off, and I expect more news on this in the coming months, and not the kind of news everyone is hoping for.

I think it’s neat someone is out there fighting the good fight, but I’ll stick with official hardware for now myself.

There is, of course, no absolute morality. I have no problems whatsoever with playing a game I own on an emulator.

Well setting aside all the morality questions, I’m with @WarpRattler in being shocked this hasn’t been shut down. When people are making emulators because they want to make emulators, it doesn’t surprise me that they don’t get stamped out more often, but when someone’s pulling in big bucks via Patreon, you’d think Nintendo would at least have the clout to get that Patreon account shut down.

And of course maybe they do, and that will happen in a week or so now that this is getting publicity.

I see playing Zelda on Cemu as much of a “crime” as piracy. To me at least there appears to be a clear distinction between emulating a game that was released weeks ago on a platform that is still readily available and emulating a game on a system that you grew up with and have no reasonable way of going out and purchasing in a guaranteed playable state.

Whether or not you see piracy as the real world calamity ganon, its pretty clear that this is piracy, to me at least.

Its still pretty funny though that in a few weeks/months the best way to play nintendo’s biggest flagship game since Mario 64 (arguably) is not on a nintendo console.