Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

I read that then, and still now, as draw up your sheikah slate (minus button) then move around o drop a pin.

But the minus button is at the top left of the device, it clearly shows you to click the right stick and press A! :)

yeah once you know then you know.

I read it as bring up your sheikah slate and Mark that.

“click right stick and press a” alsoworks from within the sheikah slate, which is what I was doing.

I assumed I was either making a mistake (hence asking for help, and receiving it) or that the game was being old school, and making me actually divine what part of the map correlated to what i was seeing, whihc is what you do in real life when you have a map and compass.

EDIT: I am sorely tempted to use a guide, reason being I haven’t played a Zelda game since Ocarina of Time.

Against that though, this seems very much the type of game to enjoy making mistakes in and just messing about.

It does make me think that there are so many games that coulkd work on the siwtch.

I note Skyrim is already available.

I enjoyed it well enough on PC when it came out, but I replayed it a couple of years ago and found the controls annoying as hell.

Hard to go to that after playing the Witcher.

Breath of the Wild isn’t like any other Zelda game though, so even if you’ve recently played Zelda games it wouldn’t really help you.

There’s honestly no “right” way to play this game. A guide will simply show you one option of literally countless ways you could play the game. You may as well just make it your own and do whatever you feel like doing, whenever you feel like doing it.

If you do want a bit of structure, then I can recommend following the initial guidance the game gives you to follow the main road to find the first town, and you can continue following that road to get to the next town. You don’t have to do that, but for people still uncomfortable with the wide open freedom the game allows, following the main road is a good way to more gently get you into the game’s overall structure.

I wouldn’t get a guide. The game can seem a little daunting at first. Follow the advice to get to Kakariko (?) Village and then Hateno Village and you should have enough of the hang of it by then that the mechanics and direction of the game won’t trouble you any more. If you follow those initial quests and still feel lost, then maybe get a guide or use an online walkthrough. There were a few times I looked up shrines online – Polygon has good walkthroughs of everything – but you’ll soon realize that there’s no “right” way to progress in the game. Start the main quests and then find the direction that looks most interesting and head that way.

For me, the most enjoyable part of the game was semi-aimlessly wandering around. The combat was good, but exploration was the real hook. The story’s kind of ‘meh’ I suppose, but that was never the appeal. Frequently, I would endeavor to go to one place, and then get sidetracked en route when I saw something interesting in a different direction. Everyone has different playstyles and ways of having fun, but had I played this game too linearly my enjoyment of it would have been significantly lessened. I do think I made it to the first two villages relatively early-on though, in part because I wanted to see what they were like and because it opens a few new abilities for you.

Picked up a Switch with BotW in March, fired it up a few weeks ago. It’s been years since I was this absorbed by a single player game. Overall, my favorite part was unlocking new parts of the map; I’m a little sad, now that that’s behind me. I think I have 85 shrines or so unlocked, and around the same number of Karok seeds, and just one Divine Beast down (Vah Medoh). Unlocked Vah Naboris as well, but kept losing to Thunderblight Ganon and had to take a break from him and come back later.

I still have one more fairy to unlock, but I have nowhere near enough rupees. Guess Pondo provides the fastest way to make cash? I also sell gourmet meat at the Outskirt Stable, and potions/meals to Beedle since I’m obsessive about collecting plants/insects/lizards/fish.

Speeking of Beedle, he’s the best/fastest way to restock arrows, right?

I would mark ore rich spots on the map and hit them every time I got a blood moon. A blood moon respawns more than monsters. It basically is a reset for all non chest items and nodes. So if you see a drill bit out in the open mark that too because it respawns on a blood moon as well.

I did thunderblight second to last and he was still a pain in my ass. I just never really “solved” him other than Magnesis. I suggest you do the bird divine that’s a fun boss.

Beedle and the village shops were my go to spots for arrows. There is also a long side quest with the carpenters that opens up more opportunities to buy arrows of all varieties.

…and that’s one of the best quests in the game.

Thanks, great idea.

Yes, it’s still my favorite. I wish there were more quests like that one.

I did the same thing, and that was when I decided to hold off on the Divine Beasts for a while. I just couldn’t get the hang of the magnesis thing because I’m just not fast enough at that. But when I gave it another go over the weekend, I finally got him using a different tactic. The other three Beasts were easy peasy by comparison.

Shame that Daruk’s Protection overrides normal use of a shield. It’d be nice to be able to reserve it for special situations. Same thing with Mipha’s Grace; be nice if you could use fairies first before it kicked in.

Now working on the Trial of the Sword, after improving most of my armor to the max. I wish you could save the the game at some point during the Trial. Even just once, halfway through or something. My tolerance for starting longer quests over like that is fairly low. On the other hand, I really like the experience of starting Trials without any items, weapons or armor. I enjoyed Eventide for the same reason.

I played this a little bit - I never played a Zelda game before. This stuff if very early on so I don’t think I’m spoiling anything. I met the old man who told me to find the 4 shrines. I don’t think I’ve found them all yet. So I wonder around. I’ve met the man in various places including his house.

I read his diary and found out about his special dish and the forgotten ingredient. I have the meat and the spicy pepper. He told me the 3rd can be found near the tower. I’ve been wandering around trying to find this ingredient and can’t seem to find anything.

I’m not necessarily looking for the answer here, but is there some kind of frame of mind one needs to have while playing this? Do I need to find the missing ingredient to get the reward so I can get to the other shrines? I think the main draw here is exploring and finding stuff so I don’t want to just look things up, but I don’t know if I’m missing something obvious.

The “reward” for that will be helpful, but not strictly necessary.

The clue to the ingredients is in the name of the dish

Oh geez. Now I feel stupid. Hmmm I think I ran into some fish prior to this quest and caught and cooked them. I hope they replenish!

Is that text saved in a log anywhere when you read it?

I don’t think it is, no.

You can always record stuff like that with the Switch’s screenshot button if you want though.

I think it is if you go into the proper menu? When you’re looking at Inventory, hit the L button and it takes you to the quest screen or whatever… I think it’s in there?

I’m not sure the forgotten ingredient thing even shows up as a (side) quest! But it’s been a while, I could very well be wrong.

I don’t believe it shows up as a side quest.

I found this BOTW video pretty relatable.

Haha, yes, I saw that on Twitter yesterday and meant to swing by here with it. Perfect reactions! That moment at 1:05…