Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Making the most of quarantine.

That’s fantastic!

It was easier than I feared, but with the huge caveat that I was following along with Polygon’s guide. Knowing what equipment to use in what situations helped tremendously, especially because I conserved ancient arrows for the last few levels.

I might try that. I attempted it without a guide when it first dropped and found it kind of cool, but could tell it was nothing I’d ever have the skill to pull off. Even with a guide I’m not sure, but thanks for putting this challenge back on my radar, it’s one of those gaming bucket list things.

I wasn’t exactly sure how much of this I was going to finish until I decided it was time to wrap it up, so this morning for the first time, I took care of Ganon and rolled credits on Breath of the Wild.

Playtime was 130+ hours. I completed all Shrines (including DLC). I collected 430ish Korok seeds–my plan was to get enough for all inventory upgrades and I think I was only a handful short of the last shield slot, but then I just forgot about that when I started playing last night and decided to head for Hyrule castle.

I completed all the DLC quests except I missed a piece of Royal Armor somewhere in the castle. I also never bought all the gemstone headgear from the Gerudo, and there are a few Amiibo I don’t have, but other than that I had all the gear collected, and much of it upgraded to the max.

Zelda was probably annoyed that I took as long as I did to save the day!

A zelda game has DLC now? That feels wrong. Though I guess if I loved the game, I would want more of it. Considering this will be $60 whenever I get a Switch Pro, how expensive is the DLC?

$20 for the DLC pass.

Man, $80 for this after getting a Switch Pro for however much that’s going to cost is going to be a tough pill to swallow. Especially if I’m also going to get a Pro controller to play it with. Have people found a hack to use an Xbox or PS4 controller to work with the Switch somehow using a cheaper device?

I have used these successfully. Half the price of a Pro controller.

https://www.amazon.com/Gam3Gear-Converter-Nintendo-Controller-Keychain/dp/B0753XF3WT/

https://www.amazon.com/Gam3Gear-convertidor-adaptador-PS3-PS4-Controller/dp/B075445R7C/

Nice! Thanks! I’m going to bookmark your post for when I finally need one.

I’ve used this to connect my Xbox Elite controller to the Switch.

https://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Controller-Adapter-Nintendo-Raspberry/dp/B07B7LMM52/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3VR89FQ6VR17P&dchild=1&keywords=8bitdo+wireless+bluetooth+adapter&qid=1592682575&s=electronics&sprefix=8bitdo%2Celectronics%2C197&sr=1-3

Ganon had no idea what was about to hit him…

(Spoilered out of an abundance of caution if you don’t know about the reward for the DLC quest line)

The adventure begins! Finally getting started with this after borrowing it from a coworker at the start of quarantine. Looks great so far. I’ve only played the original in this series so this is quite a jump for me.

This one isn’t that much like any of the others. It’s probably closest to the original (though still really not much like it)!

Eurogamer has a “best of” list for the current console generation as compiled by a combination of developers and critics, who gave the top spot to BOTW.

Victoria Tran: “You know this was going to be on the list. I knew it was going to be on this list. I’m not usually satisfied when I explore game worlds, but Breath of the Wild made me climb every peak, scour every rock, spend way too much time catching horses, and absolutely love every minute of it.”

Keith Stuart: “What I love about this game is that it’s an open-world adventure in the truest sense of the phrase: you can just wander around and discover stories and narrative threads without having to follow some grand and over-elaborate narrative arc. Everywhere you go there is something breathtaking and surprising.”

Dan Marshall: "This is obviously one of the best games ever made. Tonally it’s not my thing, the dialogue and voice acting is kind of creepy, but the actual gameplay is just astonishing. We all know this. It’s at its best when the leash is off and you’re setting your own objectives - I’d argue it could do away with the traditional ‘mission’ structure and just let you roam free, but what do I know. There’s absolutely nothing bad about the moment-to-moment gameplay. It’s slick and thrilling and tactile and just an absolute joy to play from start to finish. "

Jason Schreier: “Breath of the Wild takes the polish and charm of a Zelda game and combines it with the ‘say yes to the player’ attitude of immersive sims. My favourite types of games are the ones that reward you for experimenting and being curious, and Breath of the Wild delivers and then some.”

Simon Parkin: “Another Zelda game had no right to be this fresh or important, especially one built from the constituent parts of a dozen preceding open world games. Yet, Nintendo and, one must assume, that secret army of Oompah-Loompahs who work behind its factory gates, have a talent for trimming the bloat and nonsense from other company’s ideas. Yes, Breath of the Wild perfects and reimagines, but it also takes its own path, laying down a grand adventure that feels essentially intimate. It is, in fact, truly possible to set off in any direction, to see where the road takes you and you alone. You’re never encumbered by the baggage of too many designers’ whims and ideas or even, surprisingly, the series’ own legacy. My children and I still wish, aloud, whenever we are stood high atop a hill, that we could jump into the air and glide away. Breath of the Wild gave us this hope, the sort that leads a person to view their own world with fresh eyes.”

Keza Macdonald: “Breath of the Wild is what Zelda always felt like in my imagination: boundless, mysterious, playful and secret-stuffed. For a series that I’ve grown up with for 25 years to surprise me so much was totally unexpected.”

Sam Barlow: “What does it mean to explore in a videogame? Whatever it meant before, Zelda: Breath of the Wild has redefined it.”

Some other nice write-ups at the link:

Jeez, that really makes me curious. The only open world game I’ve played where I felt like it was worth exploring every inch of the world was Just Cause 2. And that was only because of how beautiful it all was. I wonder what kind of reward Zelda has for exploring the world.

No no, don’t tell me. I’ll play it eventually. I’ve already bought the game twice at full price now, as gifts to nieces. Eventually I’ll probably end up paying full price again to buy it for myself.

Whoa, best uncle ever! :)

“Weapon degradation is bullshit, uncle!”

Ha! I wish!

The game has promptly gone into their backlogs. I hope they get to it one day.

Any uncle that buys games as gifts is awesome in my books. Hell, I was thrilled when they gave me a few coins for the arcade!

LOL!