Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Oh the 900 korok seeds are excessive and I can not stand the ubification.

However I will note one significant difference between this and the standard Ubi implementation, they are often tied to some environmental observation or puzzle. So these aren’t Ezio collecting feathers simply for reasons.

I definitely have thoughts about this game, and will share them once I complete it. Some good, some bad, and no way is this game perfect. Or would I ever consider it the best, or my favorite, Zelda game.

I love the hell out of this game, but I think I’m going to critical-path it and finish it up at this point, having sorted the Beasts and retrieved the Master Sword. Without any actual storylines to follow through the rest of the world, I’m not really moved to comb the rest of the map for foozles to collect.

I never quite got into collecting Koroks, but I loved trying to find all the memories. Doing so took you all over the map and trying to puzzle out where the scenes were was far more engaging to me than I expected. I remember getting annoyed when I’d encounter enemies because I just wanted to chill and explore despite the combat being pretty solid. I was hoping the postgame might allow for that or at least cut the respawn on new moons, but alas. This was my favorite virtual world to roam about in without concern for story, setting, or characters (if considering the latter, Arcanum probably overtakes it). But it did take me about a year or so break from playing it to actually go back and beat due to all my carefree gamboling, so I get the temptation to just push through.

I’ll back the others on this. While the base game is great, the DLC didn’t add anything I cared about.

Uhhh, motorbike? Hello? I love the spinout animation on that thing when you take off.

Get all the photos before you finish. Otherwise yes, go face Ganon.

The story is told passively through the memories, so definitely get all of them before going to Gannon

Eh, I’ve heard this complaint raised, but I really don’t see it. Not only is there no expectation that you collect all the seeds, there’s nothing major gated behind them, and diminishing returns for each step you unlock. IIRC, the game even gently mocks you for getting them all.

There aren’t 900 seeds to provide you 900 things to do, there are 900 seeds so that everywhere you look, there’s something there. Getting them all is purely a completionist compulsion, not something that the game really incentivizes you to do.

I suppose. It’s not like the story is, like, interesting or relevant. But sure.

Yeah I’ve looked at the gating on the unlocks, and it is something like 441 to unlock all slots. I’ve collected 150ish. I in no ways plan on going for all 900. I treat them as incidentals on my way to shrines or quest objectives. Leave the korok mask on, and if it shakes while I’m travelling, find the thing.

Other than the obvious top of every major peak type ones, not all of them are obvious. I wanted enough to be able to keep a good cache of weapons and shields.

I did enjoy searching for the memory spots. Considering the angles, looking for landmarks, and comparing the map to try and find where they were was an interesting cartographic challenge. The forest one I stumbled on by blind chance, which is good because otherwise it would have been impossible to actively look for.

I thought the dlc was all really cool. Rogue lite stuff like that one island in the main game, exploration puzzles, and more.

I mean the armor did get me scouring the pools near the waterfalls, finding a butt load of other treasures.

We don’t have A Link to the Past thread so I am putting this here.

That was one of my first “aw sweet, that actually worked!” moments that has stuck with me lo these many years.

2022 for the sequel per Nintendo’s show today.

“Aiming for 2022.” Given Nintendo’s history of Zelda games slipping I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s more of a March 2023 game. Looks cool, though.

I can fit in like two more playthroughs by then!

The trailer:

Avoiding any spoilers but just from this tiny peek, it looks like there are at least 2 new rune powers, which is a relief. I was a little worried they wouldn’t be able to come up with new ideas and would just be iterating on the existing powers.

Another year! Probably more as I bet this will be a Christmas release.

I’ve not yet finished BotW, but when I watched that trailer all I could think of was that they were showing me BotW with some new abilities, none of which seem particularly interesting other than being different. Sure, also moving up a level to the sky.

Seems a lateral move rather than a step up. I mean, I love BotW so far but I’m not seeing anything to get excited about in this early trailer.