Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild

Sounds like you blew it. Git gud, son.

Went back to the tutorial area for a bit and found two more koroks. So now I feel less bad.

Is there a korok locator thing or am I supposed to just Devine where they might be. So far it’s dumb luck.
Also on the subject, I feel like I’m playing where in the world is carmen San Diego with the fat maracas guy.

There are upgrades for the tablet that allow you to detect certain things. So far just shrines but I wouldn’t be surprised if koroks were one of the options later on.

I did get to five koroks in the tutorial area and also took out the stone boss, which I forgot to do before I left the first time. Now headed back down below to see how many more seeds Inmay have missed.

This looks exactly like something i’d be interested in right now… but geez, getting a Nintendo just for this game…

Done. Took playing it on the big screen with a pro controller. Also helped that I learned I didnt have to turn off ice each time in between blowing up the cubes/mines. Still, this game expects a LOT of either experimentation from new players or experience from previous ones.

I actually love the motion aiming. Maybe I’m just used to it from playing Windwaker on the WiiU, but it helps me fine tune aiming much better than with just the control stick.

What’s wrong with the camera on Switch? I’m on WiiU and everything is peachy. All I had to do was crank up the camera sensitivity in options and it’s perfect. I can’t tell that’s it’s all that different than any other good third person adventure game.

Ha, it’s not dumb luck, it’s a combination of exploring and being observant. :)

They all have little tells or oddities in the environment, or are around some neat unique feature. I love that many have some little environmental interaction or puzzle needed to reveal them as well. So good.

Same here (at least with pro controller), it’s quite an accurate and fine-grained adjustment on top of the more coarse analogue stick motion. Great for arrows.

Nothing. :)

I discovered the tree chopping in the ‘tutorial’ near the old man’s hut, which is another great thing they’ve done with the game - making the tutorials subtle and feel like part of regular play.

He’s trying to chop down a tree, there’s an axe nearby, and some trees near a ravine that has no other obvious way of crossing. One light-bulb moment later and I’m crossing over the ravine on a freshly-chopped trunk, as well as discovering fire wood and Korok leaf.

Learning to use the fire wood was another matter. That actually took a little time pondering the item descriptions to figure out how to start a campfire. But it’s awesome that you have to do that!

Stopped playing for the night and very briefly thought “a banana before bed would actually taste pretty good” before remembering I just found bananas in the game, and do not actually have any bananas in the house.

This game is so amazing.

SO amazing.

Also, my tip is definitely follow the story through to the second town without straying too far, because you get a lot of good equipment and quests there.

That, and spend time hunting/foraging. It pays off, food is real good.

Been watching my daughter play this. I’ve never been particularly interested in Zelda games, but this one is calling to me big time. It seems amazingly fun, deep and polished. Also, just lovely to look at.

I spent a long time climbing a mountain (near the “Necluda” sea, I think?) just to get to a shrine I was under-leveled for, but it was still pretty satisfying just spending a half hour navigating up an almost sheer rock face by the ocean. Good stuff. It’s very impressive how well integrated these new systems are for a game that’s doing so many new things for the franchise at once.

So my delayed-until-Monday Amazon pre-order is now indefinitely. May try to find a copy in a bricks and mortar store. At least I got a £5 voucher out of this. Wonder what happens to my previous discount if I cancel, though.

This game is so good. Too bad I can’t play it. My 12 yr old who had no interest in the switch or Zelda decided to try it Saturday and then proceeded to hog the switch ALL WEEKEND. He’s never played a Zelda game before except a brief time with Ocarina which he didn’t care for. Apparently he likes this one. So I’ve just arrived at the first village and that’s as far as I got Friday night. Hmmm…I might have to go buy Horizon now since I’m probably not going to be able to get back to Zelda for awhile.

This may be the first open-world game where I’m not even remotely tempted to fast-travel. Sometimes I don’t even want to use a horse. I’m perfectly happy just slowly strolling through the wilderness, seeing what’s over the next hill, or on top of the next hill, or under the next hill. Heck I just stood in the rain for five minutes this morning, just stood there enjoying the…emptiness of it. This game understands the the value of space between action, the rest between beats.

Sounds like it’s right up my alley then. And it strikes me now how that feeling could never be conveyed on a Twitch stream. Makes sense.

Yeah I’m not really into Twitch but I guess I could see how this might not translate well to a stream. This is also the first game I’ve turned off all HUD elements completely and am refusing assists like the slate upgrade that helps you find shrines.

I’m glad I have a Wii U but if I didn’t I would pay whatever I needed to to get one or a switch. This game is the definition of a system-seller.

That being said I am starting to notice some frame-rate drops especially in towns or forests when it’s raining. Nothing that’s affecting my enjoyment but I can only dream what this would be like on my PS4 Pro.

I love this game more than any other game in the world. I’ve had so many cool moments and I don’t want to post a single one for fear of spoiling them for somebody else.

Goddamn.

I know right! I keep thinking we should have a spoiler thread just for things like “how did you tame a horse?” But then I don’t think I’d ever visit the thread, every moment of discovery is really worth it.