Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (1993, 1998, 2019)

Man, this game is tough. Not as tough as Ocarina of Time, mind you, the puzzles in that one just defeated me finally, I really was bested by that game. It’s the game that taught me I hated puzzles in games. (A lesson that I unlearned via Braid many years later, which again taught me that wait a minute, I love puzzles in games!)

Of course, here with Link Awakening, unlike Ocarina of Time when it never occurred to me look up solutions online, I could just ask Uncle Google, and he’ll tell me the answer, but I do want to resist doing that as much as I can.

The library tells me I need a magnifying glass, and maybe helping the townspeople will help me get it. So I finally gathered enough money from mowing their grass to be able to win at the Trendy game (took a loooooooooot of money to win at that rigged game). Which then let me swap the prize for something else, which I gave to another townsperson in exchange for something else, which I gave to another townsperson in exchange for something else, which has now yielded me bananas. And I think I’ve run out of townspeople.

Meanwhile, I discovered in the forest that I wasn’t at a complete dead-end because I can push huge rocks! WTF? Link makes a big show about not being strong enough to lift a plant, but he can push huge rocks? Man, I really hate twisted non-intuitive video game logic. What’s funny is that despite discovering this, I still didn’t get anything in the forest that helps me advance in the game. So really, the answer lies in the bananas somehow. There is a monkey that’s throwing nuts and bombs at me. Maybe I can get him the bananas somehow?

(Not enjoying these puzzles so far).