Legendary Heroes a nearly legendary update for Fallen Enchantress' heroes

I think the repetitiveness was an issue in Legendary Heroes as well, but the honeymoon phase of the climbing of the Chick parabola was really cool in that game.
I didn’t play Sorcerer King, but I thought that Warlock was a simpler, more rewarding and more interesting game. Maybe those two can relate?

Thanks for reminding me of the Stardock sale. I just found out I can upgrade Sorcerer King to Sorcerer King:Rivals for just 5 Quatloos.

Cool beans.

There are some mods that can extend the game too - well worth the price.

Rise from the dead!

Out of nowhere, Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes just got a fairly beefy update. No clue if this was from the Stardock team suffering from insomnia or perhaps spill-over from some other development they were doing, but the update is welcome.

Changelog

Summary
  • Tile yield update on screen aborts immediately if the terrain is invalid for a city (perf)

• Fixed crash bug where garbage characters could get inserted into a scene node

• Increased the map tilt further so you can see more pretty stuff

• 0Calc Military Might now longer force updates the battle rank of units. (perf)

• AI city updating is now multithreaded (perf)

• CalcBattleRank changed to automatically cache the battlerank of the unit (major perf boost)

• Units now always get a battlerank of at least 1 to ensure caching of battlerank

• Sub-units of an army are no longer recalculated unless expressly ordered

• Thread safe city count method added

• Fixed a crash deadlock

• AI monsters less likely to attack a city on lower difficulties

• Monsters now use a cached combat rating to determine city strength (performance)

• Fixed multiple crash deadlocks

• Unit vector sized at 10 at start to reduce increments. (perf)

• Timer update increased from 1ms to 0.5ms

• Conclaves provide more research but less production and money

• Fortresses provide more production but less money and research

• Towns provide more money but less production and research

• New improvement: Tower of Knowledge. Provides +1 research per essence

• Tiny map size increased to 5x3

• Small map increased from 5x4 to 6x4 (20 to 24 sectors)

• Medium map size increased from 6x5 to 7x5 (30 to 35 sectors)

• Large map size increased from 7x6 to 9x6 (42 to 54 sectors)

• Huge map size increased from 8x7 to 12x8 (56 to 96 sectors)

• Wrote a replacement for toupper() that is much faster

• Lots of new quests

• AI improvements

• Quest based champions added

• Units take slightly longer to produce to balance the availability of more champions.

Hope you enjoy the update! Here’s the article on the Stardock forums for some extra screenshots and information: Stardock updates its fantasy civilization game, Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes, with new quests, champions, performance updates and bug fixes

Also, as an aside - this update isn’t insomnia-driven but a lot of us definitely don’t sleep much. So many games, so little time! ;)

I guess I’ll try it out and see if the number of crashes, bugged quests, game glitches and other weird issues are reduced any.

The games performance and stability has been greatly improved with the latest update. Unfortunately, there still seems to be a pretty bad bug where you do not get any XP or fame for completing quests.

I just completed a ‘deadly’ level quest where a prisoner I released turned into a demon and attacked me. My heroes are only level 6 yet I got nothing at all for completing the quest. This is happening with all the quests. It sucks because it makes getting XP to level up really difficult. At the beginning of the game I was getting XP and fame but then it stopped and now I get nothing for quests.

Monster summoning spells still don’t work either. When a monster casts a summoning spell in tactical combat, nothing happens and its turn is wasted. This has existed since the previous version.

I’ve also read at least one report of the AI not clearing monster lairs at all, although I can’t confirm it. The reporter stated the bug was also present in the previous version.

Are you stacking heroes? That heavily reduces XP for quests

I am. I’ll try it again with just 1 hero. What a weird limit, though.

They had a valid reason for it- folks were playing with just heroes and ignoring troops.

Sorcerer King kinda was an offshoot of the way they felt people liked to play the game, and I was one of those folks.

Stardock tends to do a good job on the build and explore parts of 4X’s, the exploit and exterminate parts are mixed.

They confirmed the bug where monsters do not summon units in tactical battles, and said they would fix it.

However, I still think the strategic AI is too passive for my enjoyment.

I finished my game on 3.0. Everything on default. Small map. 2 opponents.

The AI was passive for 95% of the game. I did not see it claim any monster lairs (and when I invaded there were still unconquered lairs). It sent settlers, it founded cities, and it improved resources. It build a lot of units, but then left them on defense.

It came out twice to attack a single unit I had left near the AI’s border. It also snuck out to try and re-claim resource buildings.

It re-captured two border cities that I was too lazy to reinforce. However, it wounded itself doing so, and I was able to re-capture the city on the next turn.

So, after I build up an army stack or two, leveled from monster XP, it is trivially easy to go and take out the opponent’s cities. They just wait for the attack.

I do not enjoy the game against the passive AI.

Does anyone have an experience that differs from this? Is there some map or difficulty setting where the AI plays offense?