Legends of Runeterra - Riot Games' Hearthstone

Doh, you are of course right. Old habits die hard.

Ah, so that’s the dreaded Nautilus, lol. I haven’t made it to the final boss yet, so I didn’t absorb his identity. I actually switched over to Miss Fortune for a change of pace. She’s fun, and she breezed through Gangplank, a level that has given me fits in the past. I enjoy playing Caitlyn most of all, though. The traps are so fun. :)

I’m still playing this every day – the Path of Champions, almost exclusively, unless I need to play a constructed deck against the AI for a quest. Caitlyn is still stuck on the Nautilus level. Ekko is there too, I think. Vi can’t get past the level just before it – the one with Shadows and returns. (Zed’s level, I think?) Caitlyn can manage this level because her traps pick off the AI’s seemingly endless hordes. Vi doesn’t have that trick. She’s level 12 or 13 now. I imagine she’ll need several more levels to get by this roadblock.

Vi was my problem child as well, took forever to get past both Zed and Nautilus. Take heart, though…the last boss, Victor, is comparatively straightforward! I think my eventual success with her in both cases involved getting the -1 cost item. One turn earlier can make a huge difference in those crazy boss fights. The power that summons a copy of her is really good, too

The only one of the original five remaining for me is Ecco, who I haven’t played nearly as much. I’ve also taken time to run Pyke through the whole thing, as he’s one of my favorite heroes for the Path format. Doesn’t need too much help to be hitting really hard, and once he levels he generally wins the game by himself.

I just beat Nautilus on the first try with Yasuo! I’ve really enjoyed playing Yasuo. He’s all about stuns and recalls, and he helped me grok the usefulness of the recall mechanic in particular. He synergizes well with a number of other champions, and his voice acting is fun too. Anyway, I guess it’s on to Victor now.

I’m still loving this game, playing every day for an hour or so at least. I’ve been playing for weeks, but I still have never played against a human. Paths of Champions (Poc) provides all the challenge I need for now. I do play non-PoC games vs the AI occasionally in order to fulfill a quest. But mostly it’s PoC for me. Once I know the game better, I may dip my toe into an Expedition, and eventually I’m sure I’ll try Ranked too. But for now, all I wanna do is try new champions in PoC.

Second anniversary event runs for the next couple of weeks. Some free stuff for daily logins.

There’s also a notice that they’re doing away with Expeditions in the next major patch. No more draft-type modes for now. Supposedly they’re going to come up with something new eventually.

Yep, if anyone has Expedition tokens, use them now, as that patch will arrive in early May if not sooner. Start an Expedition, then immediately retire to claim your reward. You’ll get a free pack of cards each time you do this. Well worth it. With my 20-odd tokens, I scored a few champion cards and a lot of rare and epic cards too.

The only thing I play in this is Path of Champions as well.
Just last week I thought to myself “I would actually pay for a properly done version” (no lootboxes/cardpacks, single buy expansion deal) and wondered what they have planned for the mode.

I watched their roadmap video and apparently Path of Champions makes up over half of the total players/playtime for the game now.
After the complete rework and re-release of the mode in November last year that success made them decide to rework and expand it again. Releasing sometime this month is the next version, with more options, more strategy and more decisions (also completely reworking the progression, setting everything to zero again).

Kind of odd that the janky Slay the Spire inspired mode overtook the base Hearthstone competitor so easily. Not using some fundamental “features” of the base game and genre like card packs, card collection and pvp focus might have helped make the good groundwork like card design, turn mechanics and art design shine more.

Yeah, I’m really jonesing for that PoC update! The rumor is the end of this month, around the 25th or 26th.

Path of Champions 2.0 dropped today. It’s the revamped PvE mode for Legends of Runeterra. So far I’m loving it. If you haven’t tried this game yet, now is a great time to try it.,

POC 2.0 has a new progression system with three different fields in which to advance – champion level (which unlocks champ-specific stuff), champion stars (which grant new champion skills and buffs and unlock access to adventures), and Legend level, which gives you mode-wide bonuses, like more starting health or revives and other stuff we used to earn with “reputation”.

Because I’d beaten Victor three times in 1.0, I got several unlocks: Annie, Yasuo, Illaio, and Jinx. By playing Annie and Jinx, I got to Legend level 5 and finished enough quests to unlock Lux, as well. Annie is fun to play. Looking forward to more tomorrow.

Played a bit in the new Path of Champions with Jinx, and man, they really pumped up the power level. The first story quest was always easy, of course, but the next couple of bosses used to be a bit of a challenge. Now they just give Jinx a power that does direct nexus damage every time you discard or play (!) any card, and she just stomps everything. Eventually there will be a challenge again, but sheesh, the early sections are just nothing now.

Yes, I haven’t had much trouble with the 1-star adventures. I suppose they’re like a tutorial for new players.

But in my first 1.5-star adventure, I lost with a level 6, 1-star champ at the final boss. It was a close, fun fight. And one of the interim bosses was a close call, too. A singificant ramp-up in difficulty.

son, daughter, offspring, spawn ;)

Well, I got Jinx through the two 1.5 star adventures and it’s still a pretty ridiculous steamroll. Did lose once to Karma, but that fight is completely unwinnable if the AI gets a good draw. Second time, Jinx stomped her.

Then I was surprised to see the path is blocked to further adventures until you go back and use a different champion to do the 1.5 star adventures again. It’s not a bad thing, gives you a reason to swap around and try some other champions. And I’ve got three others unlocked already from the drops with Jinx.

Which led me to start up with Illaoi and her tentacle spawn. Interesting mechanic, you can make some pretty badass tentacle monsters. Not nearly as powerful as that direct damage that Jinx gets, but that’s probably good. Look forward to figuring out the best ways to keep Nagakabouros happy.

Illaoi is a hoot! She can get very large very fast. The tentacle mechanic is cool, and I love her level-up animation. I’ve enjoyed every fight with her.

Annie is interesting too. Don’t love her level-up animation, but her teddy bear is fun.

I’ve been playing those two, Yasuo and a little Jinx. I’ve unlocked a couple others too. I’m looking forward to more champions becoming available.

I’m always pretty amazed how well they take the theme and feel of a champ from lol and translate that to card mechanics. Illaoi is one of the neatest examples of this for me. Bard is pretty well done as well as Kennen though. I played all three in league so noticed those. I do find Annie’s disintegrate a bit awkward though.

I enjoyed PoC 2.0 despite it having some big design issues. Most of the drawbacks are clearly related to their attempts to monetize the mode, but there were some weird decisions to remove content as well. Like previous, better mini stories with included voice overs for instance.

In a cruel twist they just tweeted that they reassigned the PoC team to other projects and will focus on PvP for the game. After months of saying how more people played PoC than all PvP modes combined and laying out plans for future support for the second notable rework of the mode that certainly is somewhat surprising.

Wow, what a disastrous turn of events. I’m loving POC 2.0. But now they’re saying they’ll move resources away from it — and away from LoR. As you say, they may be finding it unprofitable. I’d gladly pay something to unlock another dozen heroes, say.

I started playing LoR about three weeks ago, and all my time’s in The Path of Champions. I have liked the combination of MtG card play with StS adventure structure and growth. There’s really something to this mix. I’m sad they’re stepping away from it. I have no interest in the PvP side, so no reason to offer them any money. But, like StS, I’d gladly pay a flat amount for this part of the game.

1.0 was feeling stale, after working half a dozen champions through it. 2.0 has more total adventures, it looks like. So far that’s kept it fresh. The updated rewards for leveling a champion make a run much less swingy. I also like the updated item and relic sets, and that champions unlock through PoC play, not needing to accumulate cards in the real game sense. I roll my eyes at five progression paths, but whatever.

Some choices I don’t spend much time thinking about. So, when I picked up a Sejuani support champion while playing Jinx, I didn’t anticipate how potent they are together. Very. The answer is very potent. Highly recommended to take that combo for a spin.

I haven’t played a champion or made a run where building for late game is the right choice. Too many nodes need a fast response to a full board from the enemy, such that early- and mid-game strength always feels like the right, and maybe only, option. Have you had any decks where you plan on getting 10 mana in 90% of the games?

I agree, 2.0 is a big improvement. And now that I’ve re-read the Riot announcement—not to mention the long threads on it in Reddit—I’m feeling more hopeful that we will see more development of PoC. Maybe eventually as a stand-alone game for sale.

In 1.0,I did used to build for one 10-mana fight: Karma. In 2.0, not so much.

I’ve actually had more trouble with jinx than you guys, even though I’ve got her at 2 stars! She’s lost twice on a 2-star adventure for me. Thanks for the tip on pairing her.

On the other hand, Lilaoi and Annie and Yasuo have been money for me. And I just completed the first run for Lux; great stuff. All so fun. I’m amazed how many creative champ mechanics there are. I so hope we’ll eventually get to play them all in POC. I think the champ system is more interesting than hearthstone;s heroes.