LEGO Ultimate Collectors Millennium Falcon Time Lapse

I have that Lego set and it is as awesome as you think it is. Maybe more.

$840 here (and we built the damn bricks) - I think I can control any urges…

Actually, that’s Death Star II. Death Star doesn’t seem nearly as cool with all the Lego people running around it, and it’s $400.

Being a 43-year-old guy who builds LEGO sets his wife & kids buy him for Father’s Day, I’d say it’s not bad at all.

That’s really cool. How much does that sucker weigh? Looks like 20 pounds easy.

The only reason I didn’t buy this from the Lego store in Disneyworld was that I’d already spent $200 in there. Don’t show me this NOW! I have the money in my account to get it! And I really shouldn’t!

It’s pretty heavy. Duno about 20 lbs, but it’s heavy.

The weight is mostly in the frame. The Star Destroyer (the first ginormous lego set) was rather fragile owing to its fairly skimpy internal framing. I think the designers learned their lesson; I’m pretty sure I could drop the Falcon onto my kitchen floor and while the body panels would explode, the internal frame wouldn’t be damaged at all.

The SD has two support legs, both toward the rear of the set. They are able to support the entire structure because most of the weight is in the rear, but that still leaves a lot of unsupported plastic to the front… Sure enough, after a few years, my set started to bow downward near the front. The internal lego super-structure had not only loosened, some of the plastic girders had actually [/i]bent[/i] from the load. Blew my mind.

I moved one of the legs closer to the front and that solved those issues.

I love my SD. But it is fucking BIG. And I often have to do maintenance on it. Re-attach a bottom panel, a rear engine, etc. It’s a pita.

Break out the glue or throw in towel and dissemble it? I weigh these decisions upon a troubled brow.

Hey! "Not really" is MY trademark. You can’t use it at all!

*not really

I don’t think you can trademark “not really”. You’re going to have to go all ScyFy and spell it “Nawt Ryllie”.

-Tom

Yep. Star Destroyer Sag is a known issue with that set. Mine’s suffered from it as well - a noticable bowing in the internal structure.

Sadly mine is in several pieces in a box; it didn’t survive a move. I keep telling myself I’ll repair it one day, but a) I don’t have the manual b) assembling that thing was pretty tedious, relative to the Falcon.

You can find the instructions online: Limited access to scans

• Alan

Instructions: Limited access to scans

• Alan

ARISE!

Lego is teasing a new UC Millennium Falcon. It’s supposed to be their biggest set ever offered for general sale.

The rumor is that it will retail for $700.

Damn. I’ve been bitching for like ten years now about how I can’t buy a UCS Millennium Falcon for less than a couple grand. Now I feel like I have to put my money where my mouth is.

Seven hundred dollars is insane, though, and the set will need to MASSIVE to justify that price. The original was 5200 pieces for five hundred dollars, so maybe another 2000 pieces? Whoof.

Yeah, Lego sets average 10 cents a brick, so that’s approximately 7000 pieces.

https://shop.lego.com/en-US/Millennium-Falcon-75192?CMP=EMC-VIP2017_08_31_MillenniumFalcon_EN+_US&HQS=hero_b_cta_NA_FR&RMID=SAHVIP_2017_08_31_MillenniumFalcon_NA&RRID=31161632

Sure it’s $800. But as if I have the willpower to not get this.

$800? You could almost buy your own ship for that!