Lego Universe MMO

The beta is still covered by NDA and the release is two months out.

[LEFT]Oh yeah, those things. After following the Elemental Beta and being involved, the fact that there are NDA’s slipped my mind.
[/LEFT]

Preorder went live today. Looks like $39.99 for the box with 1 free month of play. After that it’s subscription-based at $9.99/mo in USA. The annual deal looks best at $89 though… make a nice gift for a kid.

Truly wish this would have gone with a Free2Play model a la DDO. it seems like a natural fit, you know, set players up with a single minifig and bunch of free content/starter bricks/etc and then sell extra minifig slots and premium content/bricks/etc…

Launches October 26th according to new website.

Interesting. I had always assumed this was going to be a F2P like FreeRealms or almost any other kid-focused MMO.

Going F2P would have kept our house playing this. Wizards 101 has been my son’s on and off go to game for awhile and the buy as you go zones really has worked out well. But having to pay monthly means we won’t be continuing with the Lego mmo.

Yeah, I’m surprised too. I think it’s going to be a tough sell to parents that don’t play MMOs themselves. Here’s what I imagine:

Little Johnny convinces mom to buy the shiny LEGO Universe game at Target.
Mom installs the game and gets to the credit card part and monthly fee and says “WTF?! This costs ten bucks a month?!”

Can’t wait to see little Johnny’s face when suddenly gets “Your subscription has expired!” when he logs in on day 31.

So…this went live for pre-orders 10/8, 10/22 in EU and 10/16 in NA.

Any body play? Opinions? Good for a 6-year old Lego fanatic?

Based on my kid’s time in the beta, no. Fuck the NDA. This game is not worth paying for on a monthly basis. If it was F2P, it would be worth a few hours, but not even my son wanted to play this for more than a week.

Thanks for the quick feedback. I guess I’ll have to start diverting my son away from watching the game trailers on the Lego site to try and get him to forget this game even exists.

I played the beta, it basically felt like all the other LEGO games only with an MMO slant. Pretty dull.

Durn, I was actually looking forward to this.

Don’t bother. We dropped it cold when we found out about Minecraft.

Anyone here wish to comment about Roblox? http://www.roblox.com/
One of my 10 year old sons has been playing it for the past 6 months as his main game. He took a week off to play mine craft but as soon as he found someone had built mine craft in a roblox server, he was done.

I tried it and I can’t figure out what is going on most of the time. The servers, most of which are kid created, are buggy and janky and just weird behaving.

I play it with my kids. My 6 yr old son and 4 yr old daughter love it. You can find some decent games - there is a good paintball one and freeze tag is fun. But the kids definitely get more out of it than I do.

Agreed, all I can think when I play Minecraft is “This is what I wish the Lego MMO was like.”

Let me know when the NDA is lifted, Ill give you a quick run-down.

My son (11) was in the beta and it didn’t hold his attention for long. They really need to look at a free to play model for this. I could see him skipping in and out like he does with Wizards 101, but for a monthly fee it just isn’t worth it.

It’s publicly released on the 26th (tomorrow) so I’d say you’re fine as of tomorrow to start saying what you want of it?

This. It boggles my mind that anyone thinks there is enough here to charge a monthly fee.

Ivy League MBA’s with their colorful charts and graphs believe anything is possible.

The irony of it all is that LEGO seems perfect for F2P with micro-transactions, what with all the brick, sets and mini-fig collecting going on in the Real World. The MMO could just be an extension of that.