Leisure Suit Larry goes gold

From the press release:

LEISURE SUIT LARRY™: MAGNA CUM LAUDE

MAKES THE GRADE AND HAS GONE GOLD

LOS ANGELES, Calif. (August 14, 2004) - Vivendi Universal Games announced today that Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude, the next installment in the best-selling and beloved franchise, Leisure Suit Larry™ has gone gold and will release October 5th on the PC, PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system and the Xbox® video game system from Microsoft.

“Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude lives up to its namesake with raucous humor and outlandish scenarios all in the name of getting Larry a little lovin’,” said Michael Pole, EVP, Worldwide Studios, Vivendi Universal Games. “The game updates the franchise with contemporary humor for today’s audiences but remains true to its origins by teasing and testing the player from start finish.”

Developed by High Voltage Software, Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude is the coming of age story of Larry Lovage, nephew of Larry Laffer, the series’ original lovable loser. The game follows the racy and often randy high jinks of Laffer, a sixth-year-senior enrolled at the local community college, as he attempts to get the attention of a bevy of bodacious on-campus beauties. When a reality TV dating show comes to campus, Larry decides he’s going to revitalize his life by winning the contest and proving once and for all that he can live up to the shining example set by his Old Uncle Larry. However, over the course of the game Larry finds, much like his uncle, that the best laid plans don’t always go as intended.

Players will be able to experience hilarious college moments as they explore 17 different locations on and around the college campus, interacting with sexy female characters and play dozens of mini-games, including Quarters, Tapper, Trampoline and Wet T-shirt Contests. With more than 90,000 words of dialogue, players can create custom conversations in real time as Larry speaks with more than 15 beautiful girls, as well as interacting with a host of other characters.

Leisure Suit Larry: Magna Cum Laude carries a suggested retail prices of $49.95 for PlayStation 2 & Xbox and $29.95 for PC and has been rated “M” for Mature by the ESRB with descriptors for mature humor, nudity, strong language, strong sexual content and use of alcohol. For additional information please go to www.leisuresuitlarry.com.

from start finish?

Curious. I wonder why it’s priced $20 cheaper on the PC?

from start finish?

It must be a very short game. It’s over as soon as it’s begun!

-Tom

Vivendi’s pity for the PC.

Madden is priced similarly.
$39.99 consoles, $29.99 PC.

Yeah, but you had to wait a month for Madden PC.

VU don’t have to pay licensing fees to Sony or Microsoft for the PC version.

I’m actually really looking forward to this game. Point 'n click adventure games used to be my favorite genre, but the pseudo-minigame angle this game has intrigues me. The movies also appear to be genuinely funny – and funny games seem to be few and far between these days.

The fact that the PC version is so affordable sealed the deal.

Magna Cum Laude is the coming of age story of Larry Lovage, nephew of Larry Laffer, the series’ original lovable loser. The game follows the racy and often randy high jinks of Laffer, a sixth-year-senior enrolled at the local community college

Sheesh - can they not be bothered to proofread their own press releases? Looks like they’ve corrected the mistake at the VU corporate site, but still.

Shit, they couldn’t be bothered to make a Leisure Suit Larry game worthy of the legacy, why should they be bothered with proof reading the PR? They’re just riding the Girls Gone Wild gravy train, I wouldn’t expect anything more.

Anyway, typically console games are priced $10 higher than the PC version. But I don’t think I’ve ever seen a $20 price difference at release… wow.

There were substantial differences between the PC version and the XBox version of VUG’s ‘Cat In The Hat’. There were puzzles in one that were not in the other.

What exactly is the legacy of Leisure Suit Larry? It was a game about getting laid. Now it’s… a game about getting laid.

The first couple were funny because they were radically different from everything else, but I thought the old adventures were pretty lewd, crude, and only sporadically funny. Maybe their brand of “sophisticated adult humor” was beyond me.

Which doesn’t mean the new game won’t be good or bad, just that it being different isn’t necessarily a bad thing.

Or it’s just another franchise “MAY YOU RISE’D FROM YOUR GRAVE” to milk a quick buck from nostalgic gamers, once again showing that the gaming industry is now nearly devoid of original ideas.

(Shrug)

–scharmers
sounds like BT fodder to me :\

Larry Laffer Lives! (The original EGA version, free)

https://freebies.indiegala.com/leisure-suit-larry-1-in-the-land-of-the-lounge-lizards