Let go and let gravity in Steep's opulent winter wonderland

“Steep knows how to keep you busy”
There are currently 233 players online on Steam for this game…

Every once in a while I come to this website to check the reviews and enjoy the absurd reviews, and every single time you do not disappoint.

I honestly couldn’t care less if there were zero players online. There is nothing in Steep that’s based on the presence of other players. No activities, no progression, no unlockables. In fact, I find it kind of annoying when there are other people messing around on the same slope. It’s kind of like surfing. “Dude, get your own wave…”

I’m glad you’re enjoying the reviews! Hey, maybe you’ll consider supporting them on my Patreon page at www.patreon.com/tomchick?

-Tom

Hey, they’re playing my song!

But that is a drag.

Yeah. But I should reiterate, I’m really enjoying it for myself. It reminds me how I felt played Amped 1 and 2, which is a good thing.

Sure, and it’s not a deal breaker for me, just something to avoid playing when the kids are around. Anyway, the review and comments definitely make me more amped (ha ha see what I did there) to try this out.

Speaking of! I should also mention, it’s free Steep weekend on PC, PS4 and Xbox. So maybe I’ll give it a test fling.

Woah! Thanks for the heads up!

Is Steep on sale at least?

Yes, it’s on sale for $30 on all 3 platforms that have the free preview weekend. PS4, Xbox and Uplay.

I got this for a pittance off eBay. In fact, I think this is the first thing I’ve ever won off the site. Though maybe won is a strong term if there aren’t active bidders. If anyone else is interested you can grab it off eBay for $14-$20 total.

So I looked for and got it because of @tomchick 's flowing, glowing review and after doing the brief tutorial have no clue what I’m supposed to do. I’ve never had a skating or skiing game before, but just wanted the nice, relaxing, open atmosphere thing to chill out to. In my brief time I have run into more log cabins than I’ve seen in my real life and broken more virtual bones than a shark has teeth. I kinda wish I could do the whole tutorial thing over again as I feel like I missed something. The one thing I accomplished is turn my whole outfit yellow so I can tell who I am easier lol. So should I be heading somewhere? Doing challenges which I can’t really do cause I have no skill?

I am open for ideas!

oh huh. I hadn’t thought about that.

Was it a game code? I do want this game, but I don’t want to pay for it.

You get a like because I know that feeling.

Hahaha lol. It was a physical used copy of the game not a code. So when I got it, I got out my alcohol wipes and scrubbed the disk and box to sterilize it.

Has anyone been playing the beta for the Winter Olympics expansion?

It looks like most of the activities in the beta require you to own Steep, but there’s a few you can play even if you don’t own the game. The two olympic events that are open to me (out of about 10 or so) were the Alpine downhill, and a snowboarding jump showoff type event. I had a lot of fun with both. It’s super cool to try to go down that ski slope at top speed.

After two dozen tries, I have a really deep appreciation for this course, where the first turn to the left is so sharp, and then you speed up, and there’s a blind jump into the unknown towards the right. It’s exhilarating every time. And unlike most of these sports games, this is an olympic event, so when you go down, you’re down, and the commentator even makes a snide comment.

I don’t know when I’ll be buying Steep for sure, but now I definitely want whatever version includes this Pyeongchang 2018 Olympic expansion. South Korea is so beautiful. There’s an open area you can ski around in that’s full of cherry blossoms. The whole area looks quite different from Mt. Blanc in the main game.

I am waiting on the full game to release next week, but this sounds suspiciously like Winter Olympics, something I’ve been wanting a long time.

Steep is great, its just hindered by the most insane and incomprehensible UI and game systems I’ve ever seen. You are literally seeing a mountain, and ten thousand different things to do.

Arise thread!

So I’ve been waiting on the right price for this, and it just hit today:

Everything for around $20. Can’t wait to try it. Been wanting this for a dog’s age.

This is the first Xbone title I bought for my new toy - I’m using it with my old xbox games, it is why I got it.

I’m liking it, despite the annoying tone and sponsoring. I turned off the music first thing, as I remembered Tom had done when streaming it. It’s a beautiful game when it’s not trying to get you to jump through hoops and do something. But like so many modern games, it considers players as hyperactive toddlers whose attention needs to be caught every other second.

Edit: and just reading the review again, I noticed that option to turn off the UI. I might just do that, and see if it leaves me alone!

UI off option is all I dreamed off. Turns all the events and indications off. Beautiful game.

Right? I’m all, like, hey Ubisoft, why don’t you get out of the way and let me enjoy this awesome thing you’ve created instead of constantly shouting at me to try and convince me it’s awesome? Sheesh, let the work speak for itself.

For what it’s worth, you can do this in Rider’s Republic, as well. Shut up all the Ubistuff. It’s still missing Steep’s “always downhill” conceit and level design, so it feels a lot more generic. But it’s nevertheless another lovely Ubisoft world that you can enjoy decluttered.

-Tom

So… in 2007 I lived in Crested Butte, Colorodo. Other than exploring Monarch, Wolf Creek, and various unnamed places in the backcountry, when there was snow on the mountain I was up there riding almost every single day. I learned of all these amazing nooks and crannies, and I met some incredible friends.

This game made me cry the other day. There are very few titles like it… unironically spiritual. I mean, it just nails the ambiance.

I really can’t wait to unlock sledding (:

stop making me want to reinstall old ubisoft games plz!