Let Us Argue About Food. Be Nice.

And why is the price higher on a refrigerated pop than a room temperature one? Why am I paying more for less thermal energy!

Well I just finished trying the Impossible Whopper and I did enjoy it, but it’s not as good as the beef Whopper. It’s not a completely fair comparison because, unlike the pictures of the diner style Impossible Burgers which are thick and juicy, the thing at Burger King is your typical thin, overcooked patty, which is not the greatest showcase.

But I wouldn’t have a problem buying one again. I have no aversion to vegetarian options even though I’m not a vegetarian. If it tastes about as good, is about the same price, and is healthier, I’ll buy it.

It is not at all clear that the Beyond and Impossible burgers are healthier. Both are highly processed foods.

Well, what’s the saturated and trans fat content? Normal beef is what, 20% whooper has twice the fat, including 1.5 g of trans vs 0 on an impossible burger.

It also has 900mg of sodium vs 500mg, about 15% DV.

As for processed… I mean that’s some hippy thing, is bread processed? Are you eating the burgers raw?

High enough that the changed the recipe in 2019 to lower it or maybe that’s still in process, not sure.

Other issue is cost. Impossible Whopper is $5.49 at my local BK. But they have a deal right now a buy 2 regular Whopper for $6.

Well it’s a burger. There’s probably no burger option that is “healthy.” You don’t eat these things for your health; you eat them because they’re delicious. I don’t think there’s any question, though, that the collective environmental impact from eating plant-based foods is less than eating meat. Also, you know, no feeling being existed in confinement for most of its life and then was summarily slaughtered to make the Impossible burger. Most people don’t stop eating meat for their health; they do it because of the environment and/or empathy. Impossible satisfies both concerns.

My local BK is offering a $7 taste test bundle with 1 Impossible Whopper and 1 regular Whopper. The wife is a “flexitarian” and wants to try it out, so we headed there tonight!

They rolled this out nationwide yesterday. On the BK app they had a deal to get the regular Whopper and Impossible Whopper for $7 together. So I got two deals for me and my wife, and I had the same reaction as you.

My wife refused to believe that it wasn’t beef, since it tasted the same to her. I think with all the regular Whopper toppings, and that same flame-broiled flavor, it’s hard to tell the difference.

Overall I was pretty happy. I only have the Whopper about once a year anyway, it was nice to go back to that old familiar taste again.

Edit: hahah, I found your post through a search. I didn’t know this thread was discussing this very thing right now. Oops, sorry folks.

Yeah, I seldom have a Whopper. I have to be in the mood for a big, sloppy fast food burger. I could live with the Impossible Burger Whopper, though. It wouldn’t bother me to make it my annual Whopper of choice.

The numbers for the beef patty look wrong. They list 0 g of transfat which is impossible for cow meat.

• Saturated Fat: 6g (30% DV)
  • Trans Fat: 0g
  • Sodium: 89mg (4% DV)

Compare with burger king’s nutritional information itself:

Saturated 12 g
Trans fat 1.5 g
Cholesterol 90 mg (30% dv)
sodium 980 mg (40% dv)

While I’m at it, Burger King’s impossible burger:

Saturated 11 g
Trans fat 0 g
Cholesterol 10 mg (3.3% dv)
Sodium 1080 mg

I read the BK promotion gave you two boxes and you are invited to guess which is which? Did they not do that?

I think they did that promotion in Sweden.

Here in the U.S. rollout they had a $7 deal on their app as a “taste test” combo. So you get both Whoppers and compare the two yourself.

Apparently still good till Sept 1 with Doordash app, free delivery. $7

I don’t see any mention of the scan code on the box thought, so maybe they nixed the fun mystery idea.

Natural transfat in red meat and dairy is not bad for you like industrial transfats though right?

Source

Marion Nestle says CLA is not good. 80 studies say no, 7 say yes.

I think you might be comparing the burgers, and the nutritionist is comparing the patties. It doesn’t actually have to be literal 0 for a label to list 0 in many cases.

Yes, when my dad was getting his quadruple bypass surgery 8 years ago, a nutritionist sat down with the family afterward and told us that legally if something has less than 0.5g of transfats, they can list that as 0g transfats. She said to be very careful of that, because even things like Margarine, which are nothing but transfats, can have a small enough serving size that they have less than 0.5g, and can list themselves as having zero transfats.

There was an effort a long time ago to go after companies that monkeyed with unrealistic serving sizes to play games with their labels… aka force them to show the serving size people really use. I noticed the change on beverages (remember how like one bottle would be supposedly shared by 2-3 people and now they often say serving size 1 bottle). I am not sure about the other ones though.

Tried the Impossible Whopper again today. It was very good. I think I’d be happy to switch to this plant-based protein for quite a few dishes – spaghetti, lasagna, etc.

Box of Oreos. Serving size: 2 cookies. The fuck? Serving size, one sleeve. If someone stops me.