Let Us Argue About Food. Be Nice.

Yeah that’s some nasty guy fieri donkey sauce shit.

The only reason to visit Taco Bell is for the tacos with Doritos as shells. The pink slime meat, the Dorito shell, the desultory chopped iceberg lettuce, the sprinkle of plastic cheese, and the squirt of congealed hot sauce all conspire to make them a true microcosm of the good ole United States of America. And disgusting as they are, they are also really fucking delicious. I’m a vegetarian and every so often I cheat just to eat them. (I mean if you’re gonna cheat, go big.)

Yeah, only way to beat that is to walk up to a baby veal and take a bite out of its living quivering leg.

I’ve actually never had one with refried beans. When I get a torta, it’s just a sandwich on a hoagie roll, kind of like Bahn Mi at a Vietnamese restaurant. I wouldn’t mind trying one with beans though; it sounds delicious.

Mexican food is surprisingly regional and San Diego is heavily influenced by Baja cuisine, especially (of course) Tijuana, which specializes in fish and street tacos: small round corn tortillas with some meat, crema, queso fresco and some sort of salsa. California burritos, which include crispy french fries or potatoes inside and take a year of your life for every one you eat but it’s worth it (a local place near me has a CA burrito with Impossible carne asada in it as if I needed the temptation), are an entirely San Diego creation though.

The torta name comes from the bread, which is what makes they fantastic IMO. If it’s being served on a hoagie roll or a baguette (like a bahn mi should be) then it’s not being done totally authentic.

I think I’m going to go pick up a torta for lunch.

I have heard this. I can’t remember if it’s some article in one of those magazines (New Yorker?), or if it was a youtube interviewing someone from the Chinatown Museum (the one in Manhattan)

I am notoriously casual with food terms. “Hoagie roll” to me is basically any long sandwich roll, including a baguette. (I also happily drink Folgers, Miller Light, and red wine from a box. My gf says I don’t have any taste buds.)

I mean, I have been to places that served me a torta on a hoagie roll, so it isn’t completely out of the realm of possibility

Tortas do typically come with some sort of refried or mashed beans but any sort of mexican sandwich applies, it’s all-encompassing. The bread is up in the air, can be anything really. Cemitas on the other hand must be on the round cemita roll.

I’ve never heard of them, but I could see them being a “thing” in the NYC/Jersey area that no one else has even heard of.

There’s a cheesesteak place here that makes a cheesesteak eggroll and an Italian cheesesteak eggroll. The second having tomato sauce in it. I like them both.

Filling eggrolls with various crap is like I said earlier, crappy fieriesque fusion. You’ll see it at bars filled with divorced dads and comically giant margaritas. It’s mass market garbage and it’s pretty common.

It’s been a long time since reuben eggrolls or korean bulgogi tacos were cool, or even douchey. Now TGIFriday’s has them. If you somehow escaped learning this, I envy you.

Thing is, most fusion sucks.

C’mon now, the divorced dad bars serve old fashioneds with the proper huge ice cube. (I would know.) The comically giant margaritas are at the 30-something bridesmaid bars.

Isn’t that what the divorced dads want?

That’s an understandable assumption, but the meat market for divorced dads is mostly stocked with divorced moms and we wouldn’t usually try to pick them up at a bar. We I go to a bar by myself, I mostly want to watch whatever 90’s horror film is playing on the TV above the bar and observe the attractive bartender serving other customers.

This conversation is starting to bum me out, man.

Most of the vegetarians I know fall into nearly the same percentage of healthy weight versus overweight as the general masses in the US. Which is amazing if you think about it. When eating with them I see: potatoes, bread, rice and sometimes another starch, with maybe 1/3 of their meal non-starchy veggies or fruits. I mean, if you surround your meal with 1000 calories of crap with little nutritional value, the result is going to end up the same.

I don’t know any vegetarians who are vegetarian for health reasons.

The majority of attractive non-asian women are vegetarian, in my experience. The why is a mix of health and loving animals.

I love animals too. They’re delicious!

Matt, you’re welcome down here any time. My wife is the older boss type working with all the younger people at the bar in JUST such a bar. That being said, they’ve kind of sectioned it off so that there is something of a dating/meet-up side and a sit and watch the movie or game on side. When I go see her I’m always over in the latter.

I know a couple and one of them falls into the vegan and needs to tell you about it sub-category. But yeah several of the others I know are vegetarian for religious or cultural reasons. There’s one young coworker to my wife that is vegetarian only for the reasons of protecting animals. She is not vegan, however. I dunno, to each their own. I’ve enjoyed many vegetarian and even vegan meals, I just don’t hold myself to any one thing. Truly, I’m overweight for a reason, all food is good.