Let us make sure we never forget the name: Enterprise

You think it’s bad now, just wait until Navy ships have corporate sponsors.

“Look out! It’s the U.S.S. McDonalds!”

Actually, then we could nickname it “the Big Mac,” which would be kinda cool. Hmmm…the U.S.S. Citibank, then.

“Have a Coke and a smile, bitches!”

I think it would be better to name them like the Culture names it’s warships in the Iain M Banks books:

Such as the U.S.S Resistance Is Character-Forming

Much better.

USS No More Mr Nice Guy

And for the hegemonically minded:

USS Profit Margin
USS Trade Surplus
USS Unfortunate Conflict Of Evidence
USS I Said, I’ve Got A Big Stick

My favorite:

USS Inappropriate Response

Cliffski and arctangent. Brilliant!

In Tom Clancy’s Red Storm Rising, when the USS Reuben James joins the international task force, the HMS Battleaxe radios over and asks, “What the hell is a Reuben James?” The captain tells his radio operator to reply, “At least we don’t name our ships after our mother-in-law.”

I don’t think the name is in danger. Even if no other naval vessel is ever named Enterprise again, the first starship ever built will be.

The Culture’s ship names are indeed awesome. You May Not Be The Coolest Person Here.

I actually toured that ship once, back when it was possible to tour visiting RN warships. Fast forward many years and 9/11 later and I get to stand on the pier and gawk at a Type 42 destroyer and a Type 23 frigate with zero chance of getting a peek on board. Me sad now.

Navy Secretary Mabus announced in a video message at today’s inactivation ceremony for the Enterprise that a future aircraft carrier will be named Enterprise, after delivery of the Ford and the John F. Kennedy.