Let's drink tequila

Where are you getting Fortaleza añejo for 60 bucks?

Sorry, it was the Reposado that was $60. The anejo you can get for $73.

The real point here is that tequila tends to be much more reasonably priced than say, a Scotch of comparable quality.

Like many others, cheap tequila did me in several times in high school and college. So much so that I’ve avoided it since, save for in mixed drinks. But thanks to you guys, I’m going to keep an eye on this thread, take notes, and give it another go. This time with my pinky extended.

If I could drink, I’d grab a bottle and join you. I can pretend though,

Bfhiuaghiurhuiehguriwbvuabiu/(&/‘hfdsbdcxsagffxhj=*=@&(1#

I might recommend getting an app called Tequila Matchmaker on your phone. It gives you a quick way to look up Tequila, as well as the NOM, to check out bottles that you encounter the first time.

Very cool, thank you!

At least try a reposado and an anejo. They change the taste so much by aging that it seems like an entirely different liquor. I was entirely blown away.

This thread is solely responsible for the bottle of Espolon’s reposado that I picked up yesterday. I’ll be breaking into it this evening.

I barely got past the thread title because I had bad experiences with tequila in my younger days. I even have a bottle at the back of a cupboard about 1/3rd full; is it still good having been opened perhaps 7 years ago when my wife and I had people over? I have to admit, I’m motivated to give it a try.

Yeah, I think an anejo is a good way to get into tequila. It’ll be smoother, and likely taste more like liquor you might be used to, like bourbon or whiskey.

I found that after drinking anejo and Reposado, I learned to have a better appreciation for Blanco or silver tequila.

Do you mean you liked Blanco more after trying the others, or understood better why it’s the one used for margaritas, or something else?

Generally, I’d suggest that cheap tequila fits margaritas, not Blancos. While a Blanco is generally cheaper than a Reposado or an Anejo, they are not all cheap, and I wouldn’t use them all for a margarita. Like, I wouldn’t use DJs Blanco in a margarita.

What I meant was that after drinking tequila for a long time, and drinking a bunch of them, I learned to identify and appreciate the lighter, more subtle notes in a Blanco, behind the stonger alcohol tastes. In a lot of ways, a Blanco can be more “pure” than the more aged variants, with less there besides the agave itself, but it’s easier to get lost in the raw burn.

I have Blancos, Reposados, and Anejos in my cabinet, and I like them all. And as I drank more, my appreciation for all of them has increased, but the Blanco perhaps most of all. When I first started learning about tequila, I didn’t really know what to look for well enough to appreciate a Blanco.

Ah, thank you for your educational post. I understand now. Yes, I’d read that you should use cheap tequilas and save the better stuff for drinking…same thinking behind why you use ground beef for hamburgers and not the filet. And I would expect that there could indeed be higher-end Blancos just as there could be lower-end Reposados.

I mentioned the tequila factory tours I took in Mexico…some of you mentioned Don Julio, and that was one of the places we visited.

This thread reminds me of when I couldn’t stand rum. Then I got a bottle of aged Vizcaya. Man that stuff was wonderful. I’ll be trying some of the tequilas discussed here. Though I usually prefer Mescal.

Filet sucks, it’s very tender but has no flavor. Since hamburger is all chopped up you can use very tough but flavorful muscles like chuck, brisket, etc, that would otherwise need to be braised for a long time to be palatable.

Tequila isn’t vodka, it’s supposed to have flavor, so there really are differences. Unlike vodka.

Truedat. Filet has the texture and mouthfeel, but not nearly enough fat and connective tissue. While really tasty cuts can be dense and chewy, with gristle and yuck.

Ah, I love mezcal

Been wanting to try mezcal, but haven’t yet. Got recs?

Start with Monte Alban. Then Espadin. After that you’re talking about $100 and up.

I admit that my appreciation of mezcal is much weaker than tequila, as it’s much less common to find a variety of mezcal in most bars.

I’ve got a bottle of Ilegal Joven in my cabinet though, and it’s nice. (Joven is the equivalent of a Blanco) I think I got it for like $40.

The thing about mezcal compared to Tequila, is that they roast the agave in open pits, and the result is that they always have a smokey taste which reminds me of really peaty Scotch.