Let's drink tequila

Talk to me, man. I’ve not had a rum beyond the standard brands but rum just seems like it lends itself to some that could really stand out in flavor. Vizcaya?

For rum, Plantation XO 20 Year (20th Anniversary) has converted anyone I have recommended it to.

Also tried out the Espolon reposado last night. It was a fair bit lighter than I was expecting, but that is likely because i should have bought the anejo instead given my bourbon background. Tequila is now squarely on my radar, in any event.

Espolon makes a very solid drink, especially for it’s price (Around 25-35 bucks).

They apparently make one that’s only distributed in Mexico which is better than what the send to the states, that has two fighting cocks on its label, but I’ve never had the chance to drink it.

I’d recommend Semental to anyone interested. Even their Blanco is very smooth, and will again only run you maybe $25. It’s up there with my favorite tequilas, period.

Yeah, low price is a major selling point for getting my foot in the door. Espolon was going for $23 for the blanco/reposado and $27 for the anejo at the local shop and thus wouldn’t have been catastrophic by any measure if I didn’t care for it.

I’ll make a note about Semental for the next go-around.

Thanks for that. Also good tip from you both on Espolon, I’ve certainly seen that one.

http://www.vizcayarum.com/home.html

Hot damn that sounds good.

Browsing this thread at the liquor store and realized that’s the one we’ve bought for years. Never thought about sipping it.

I’m not sure I’d make a habit of sipping that particular one, but I’m basically using it as a gateway. The first reaction was that I was drinking straight gin (which I can’t say I care for), but it grew on me a bit as I got further into it.

We need a generic, “let’s talk Liquor,” thread.

Uncle Val’s gin. You should be able to find it under $40 or so. Nothing like what you would expect from a Gin. In fact, some of the newer non-London Dry style gins are quite good. These are called New American gins, or some of them are. They are typically milder, less juniper forward and with other tastes going on. Essentially like craft beer, they ignore rules and add quite a bit to the mix (so to speak.)

http://www.3badge.com/unclevals/

I like espolon, but their Reposado isn’t quite as nice as their Anejo. It’s a bit harsh, but it’s got a few nice things going on after you warm up your mouth to get past the burn.

So flavored vodka? :)

Kinda, but don’t tell Gin drinkers that, they like to think they are better than Vodka drinkers.

And we all know that bourbon drinkers rule.

Can I get a ‘hell yeah’?

Now I want a drink.

Way ahead of you, buddy. Feelin’ good. :D Drinking martinis and broiling a head of cauliflower. Pics in the cooking thread to come.

One of the highest rated rums in the world is Zacapa 23. Some would probably argue that it’s too sweet, but its undeniable that it has flavor and complexity, and is probably as far away from swill like Bacardi as it’s possible to get. Its more like a cognac or something, and it’s very easy to understand why its in a different class. The same distillery makes a younger product too (Zaya), which is also very good.

That said, if you go into a liquor store and spent $40+ on a bottle of rum, you’re going to have a pretty good time. Rum, like tequila, is still very inexpensive for top of the line stuff. You can find ways to spend hundreds of dollars on a bottle, but pretty much anything in that price range that isn’t one of the major labels (and isn’t spiced) is going to be good.

If you want something a little less on the extreme end, I usually keep Barbancourt 5 star around as something I can drink neat or but that isn’t wasted if I add some tonic, or seltzer and lime.

Ugh, gin is disgusting.

If I wanted to drink cologne I’d drink cologne.

Zaya is good stuff. On the sweet side, like you said, but lovely flavor.