Let's drink tequila

Well, I haven’t found anything in this thread at any local liquor stores except Don Julio 1942 for $120. I Googled the alcohol shipping laws and couldn’t get a straight answer. What’s the best sipping tequila I can get at a typical store?

Ok, one thing I suggested above, is get Tequila Matchmaker on your phone. Then you can just look up tequilas that are at your store, and get a rating which is, in my experience, reasonably solid.

The thing is, what’s available seems to vary dramatically depending on where you are, so It’s hard to say “this tequila is everywhere”. Something like Don Julio will be everywhere in some form, and will always be good, but it’s a bit pricey. And the 1942 is overpriced, in my opinion.

Tres Agaves makes some good stuff that is usually pretty cheap if you can find it. Just pops in my head because I was recently drinking it.

First Friday in a while I have been able to just chill, so I’m relaxing with some tequila.

I got this stuff:

It was cheap, around $28, and I didn’t expect that much from it, but it’s really surprisingly good. Extremely smooth, with a bit of vanilla up front, and a strong cinnamon taste on the back end.

It’s kind of thin, without the viscosity of other stuff I like, but I’d recommend it, especially for the price.

Love the bottle.

If you haven’t had it yet, Flor de Cana is some amazing rum.

I picked a bottle of that up today (though it was slightly pricier over here in Seattle at $49) and I’m looking forward to cracking it open tonight.

I suspect everything in Seattle is way more expensive than it is here in the sticks, so I’m not sure where that is on the spectrum of price for tequila out there. I’m interested in hearing what you think of it though.

So, straight or rocks for you tequila drinkers?

Neat.

I like it quite a bit, though to be honest, if I were to taste this completely blind I don’t know if I’d peg it as tequila. It reminds me a lot of a nice, mild scotch.

Definitely neat.

Thanks! I’m jumping into this tequila thing with these. Probably not tonight though. :(

In thinking about your question, it’s strange that I like tequila neat but prefer a single cube of ice for bourbon or scotch.

I generally drink Tequila on the rocks, cause I kind of like how it changes over time as the ice melts.

Sometimes I’ll drink it neat though.

This was how I was introduced to both and prefer it that way.

My wife got me the Don Julio resposado as a gift because she heard me talking about tequila. I’m sure it’s not as good as the 1942 but it seems pretty sippable.

Don Julio makes excellent stuff. It’s kind of pricey, because it’s probably the best known high end tequila, but it’s always good. Everything they make is excellent.

In my case it’s probably because I drink cheaper tequilas. Not much flavors to bloom with ice. OTOH I like high end bourbons and ryes.

I… I don’t know if we can be friends now. Please tell me you don’t do that to your Scotch?

OK. Whew. You’re not completely lost yet. Let’s work on getting that “sometimes” into an “almost always.” The good news is to do that, you’re going to have to drink more really good tequila.

(just to be 100% clear, this post is entirely intended to be good natured ribbing and not serious.)

I do!

It’s not always the case, but I would say it’s how I drink it most often, when I’m out at bars.

Some might say that having it be warmer would make it bloom more, but I tend to let it sit in my mouth a bit which warms it up quickly anyway. And the first few sips are going to be prior to melting the ice, so it’s going to be almost the same as neat. Then as things go on, it gets more water and you start picking up different notes. The biggest difference is probably that it muffles the nose a bit.

At home, like right now, I generally drink it neat… Mainly because I’m too lazy to get ice.

My bottle of Don Julio from Mexico.