Let's drink tequila

I just picked up a bottle of this:

It’s quite good, maybe a bit harsh on the alcohol taste until it breathes out a bit.

The thing is though, it’s amazingly well priced. I got this for $24.

Interesting, I saw that Tres Agaves in the store today. I’ll have to try it next time. It was indeed priced more affordably than what I ended up getting.

The Don Julio is a present for a friend’s birthday.
The Cabo I’m keeping. I tried it once in a restaurant that gave out samples and I recall it being very smooth.

That DJ resposado is the one my wife gave me for our anniversary. It’s also very smooth. I’m impressed.

Like i said before, DJ does not make a bad Tequila. Everything they make is exceptional.

Their only weakness is that they are pricey, although even there a bottle of DJ is usually going to be cheaper than a Scotch of comparable quality.

The Cabo wabo is made by Sammy Hagar, if i recall. I don’t think I’ve ever drank it.

I tried mine last night, finally. The Cazadores reposado was harsh. I couldn’t finish the little bit I poured. It had all the notes of tequila that turns my stomach. The Hornitos was much nicer - so much so that I finished my pour. The undertone was still there, but it was definitely not what I expected tequila to be.

Ya, i saw a bottle of that cazadores at the store yesterday, and checked the reviews on Tequila Matchmaker, and they weren’t that good, generally in the 50s and 60s.

Interestingly enough, there was actually a reposado made by a different distillery, (nom 1128 vs the 1487) but with the same name and a deer on the label, which got an insanely high 97 rating from the panel, which suggests it’s something really good.

Generally, the panel ratings are a bit more consistent and lower than the user ratings in that app. But if you stick to stuff with ratings in the high 70s and above, you’ll usually find good stuff. That Hornitos, for instance, is around 74. I don’t like most of their stuff, but I’ve never had that black barrel one, and it suspect it’s probably smoother than most of their stuff.

In terms of the cazadores, use it as a mixer, make some margaritas with it.

So I’m on San Diego for work, and one thing I like about this town is that there is a liquor store in old Town that had, like, every tequila ever. It’s crazy. So many.

I’m here in town for 2 weeks, so i figured i could buy a bottle and get through it with some help from co workers, so i took this as a chance to but one that i have a hard time buying in PA.

I was tempted to try something totally new, but really, their selection was kind of overwhelming, and also I have a hard time passing this one up.

$80, and it’s definitely up there with the best tequilas in the world. (They had both the blanco and the 46% alcohol Blanco for $45, but the anejo is a rare find, at least for me). Everything by fortaleza is awesome, but Christ if their anejo isn’t sublime. Everything about it is just so good. It’s almost like drinking alcoholic agave nectar.

The bottle is pretty distinctive, so if you see it in a bar, I’d recommend trying it, whatever variety they have.

However, i feel like i am committing a sin, in that i am drinking it out of a plastic cup in my hotel room. Please don’t judge me. I know it’s wrong.

As long as you’re mixing it with hotel ice then I think you’re fine.

I tried a fancy anejo and now I don’t remember the name because I got so drunk. It was a tall dark rectangular bottle with a pour spout. Then another guy there was a big tequila fan and he told me the name of his current staple favorite. I forgot that too, but I remember it came in something that looked like a clay jar.

I should probably write these things down.

Might have been hussong’s that i posted above.

I’m drinking this straight without ice.

You should also stop pumping up Fortaleza since it’s unclear if it’s legal to purchase over the Internet in my state and I’m too lazy to find out!

Just do it.

Nice find. The Fortaleza is indeed excellent. We try to keep a bottle of it around the office for when it’s been that kind of day. The bottle is currently empty, unfortunately.

I’m now secretly addicted to pouring a bunch of tequila over ice and squeezing half a lime in there.

It’s so good. Don’t judge me.

I won’t judge you, but I will invite you to have a few (ok, more than a few) drinks of really good tequila with me some time so long as you drink them neat.

You drink your way, I’ll drink my way.

That’s the way I normally do it.

In fact, I want to buy my team at work a round to see if I can get any of them into sipping tequila. I’m trying to convert people!

Aww yisss, m back in San Diego, and drinking more tequila. I picked up this bottle to keep for the two weeks I’m here:

I’m currently enjoying it while eating some take out from a great place in old Town called “El Indio”. I always stop there at least once while in town. The place has been in business since the 30’s or 40’s.

I’m jealous. Be sure and have some ceviche from Oscar’s or Karina’s while there. I f’n love San Diego.

Tomorrow we’re heading down to Puerto Penasco for the weekend to start house hunting. Of course, no trip is complete without a stop at the Tequila Factory.

Nice thread, Timex. How did I miss this?! Fortaleza is my jam. As an introvert, a nip before any social gathering is the perfect gateway to gregariousness (and doesn’t put me to sleep like a glass of beer or wine might).

I live a couple of blocks from Tres, which was previously known as Tres Agave before the partners went their separate ways — one keeping the bar and restaurant, the other keeping the brand and the tequila (and accessories) business.

GREAT tequila bar. I learned so much there when I first started trying them out. If you’re ever in SF, it’s on Townsend — recommended. They make their margaritas Tommy’s style — 2:1:1 (tequila, lime, agave — NO triple sec). Yum.

Ok now I’m thirsty.