Let's get physical

My usual ‘workout’

Walk dogs 2 miles per day. Bunch of situps, light weight lifting while watching a Simpsons re-run. Sex. Mountain Biking once a week.

The only diet change I’ve made is the general ‘no meal should be bigger than your fist’ thing, which seems to be helping quite a bit.

The sit-ups / limited food thing is helping a ton now that I’ve started actually doing it.

I’m probably only dealing with losing 10 pounds or so though. I just want my sixpack back, while still being able to drink a sixpack…

Tapeworms.

Come over to my house and help me build my waterfall.

I’ve been eating like crap recently (in fact i just polished off a junk food lunch). I just can’t stomach plain bread and plain deli meat anymore like i used to be able too :/. I try to run at least 4 times a week about 3 1/2 miles, so that helps - but it’s not helping enough.

I know how the equation works, but i’m so busy it’s hard to balance it. I need to run about 5 miles and throw in some calesthenics/weight training. I’ve developed love handles bleh :/.

I just skip meals when i reduce calories. I don’t think that’s the healthiest way, but it’s the only way that works for me.

Take up camping, hiking and fishing. Stop eating like a pig.

Says the man who does not live on the sun’s anvil, where there is no water, no mountains, and nothing but cacti :).

I skip meals left and right because I’m not hungry very often. It doesnt help at all. My typical day’s food is just dinner, maybe a bananna for breakfast if the wife forces one on me as I leave the house. Doesnt help at all, at least not when you’re having some belgian beers with that dinner. I also eat dinner at like 9 or 10 pm, which is supposedly ‘bad’ for some reason.

skipping meals is not a good way to lose weight; it generally causes your body to store up more energy as fat.

you are better off having 3-4 small meals per day

It helps to not even buy junk food at all. When I go shopping I don’t even look at the cookie/ice cream/soda aisles. If you don’t buy it you can’t eat it at home. You’ll be surprised the effect it can take once your not taking in all that extra sugar. Exercise will help even more of course.

Another vote for tennis. I just picked up playing last year, and after doing soccer/baseball all my life, it’s a nice change of pace, as you can just grab a friend and go play. I ache for a good couple days after playing, but, you know, in that good kind of way that says you just put in some good work.

Erik J.

Stop being lazy and go to the gym. Bring along a book or an iPod or whatever and hit an Elliptical or treadmill or whatever for 45 minutes 3 times per week. Yeah it sucks and is boring; that’s why you bring something to make it interesting. I get more reading done on the elliptical than anywhere else. Or alternatively pick up some sport. Basketball is a good one; you don’t need to buy any equipment to play.

Don’t eat like a goddamn pig. Small portions. Avoid refined carbs and saturated fat. Lots of fish and chicken. Don’t touch soda, and avoid fruit juice (there’s as much sugar in some fruit juices as there are in sodas). Don’t eat within 3 hours of going to bed.

I find “the gym” to be boring and a waste of time. I have been doing martial arts training for the past 2.5 years and it is much better, because you are building skills in addition to keeping in shape.

Furthermore, if it’s a good martial art / good school, most of the strength training will be of a full-body integrated nature, which is much more efficient than you get in a gym, and safer.

I lost 60 pounds just dieting. Instead of eating 2000 calories a day, I generally ate 1000. Sometimes I ate more, but 1000 was my goal. It took me six months to a year to take it off. Though lately I’ve gained some back. You may need to eat less than 1000 depending on how active you are and your height. Edit: If you do it this way, remember to get the nutrients you need. I mostly used multi-vitamins, but if varying your diet will help as well.

If you drink regular soda er… regularly, switch to diet. I lost 10 pounds just from that.

Just don’t drink soda. The stuff is crap, it doesn’t even taste good. We drink it because we are used to drinking it. Now I usually drink water, especially when eating out, and I notice that meals are significantly cheaper.

So let’s see, I save a bunch of money, to not make myself fat by consuming something I don’t actually enjoy. Sounds like a no-brainer.

Some people like soda. It’s true!

Some of us have severe caffeine addictions and don’t like coffee.

Try paintball.
I try play weekly and find it gives me quite a workout without me knowing about it.
It gets you outside, you have to do some walking and running to get to cover and before you know it, its 6 hours later, you’re whacked and had a ton of fun :)

DIET Coke people, diet coke. Sure you’ll get cancer and your testes will shrink, but once you get used to its piquant flavors you’ll never drink sugared colas again.

Ignoring the fact that you’d have to be drinking a ton of soda to get that caffeine addiction in the first place, there are alternatives to coffee that are actually healthier. I stopped drinking coffee (well, I’ll still have an occasional cup, but not every day) a couple of months ago, and now I just drink plenty of tea (green and black) and yerba mate. Mate in particular has plenty off caffeine, but is a lot healthier than coffee. The tea has considerably less, but it’s also not bad to have a bunch of cups a day.

Yeah, go for the tea, but also aim to work your way down to milder doses of caffeine. It is not some kind of badge of honor to have a severe caffeine addiction or anything; so if that is the current situation, it should be a temporary situation.

I don’t like coffee either… I drank a lot of tea for a while but now I have cut down to the occasional green or herbal.