Let's Play Choice of Robots

Regardless of our next move, the cruise was worth it.

But I do agree with Craig. Some opportunities may present themselves and it’d be a shame if we had to pass.

6. I’d prefer to save my funds.

Agreed, re: TMBG. By this point, I almost don’t want to risk Arachne in global war against all life; she’s too damned endearing!

I mean, I’ll do it. I’m not ~1/6 of a psychotic robo-dictator’s mind for nothing, after all!

Money is there to be spent!

5. I want to make the perfect body for Arachne. (cost: 3)

Alright, we have 2 votes for six, 1 for three, and 1 for 5, which means we’re playing it safe and going with 6: I’d prefer to save my funds.

Stats:
30-year-old Sarah Connor

Humanity: 11%
Fame: Internationally Famous
Wealth: Getting By -
Romance: none

Arachne

Autonomy: Singular
Military: Transhuman
Empathy: Stable
Grace: Buggy

Relationships

Professor Ziegler (Bad): 19%
Elly (Bad): 28%
Josh (Bad): 52%
Mark (Bad): 34%
Silas (Bad): 28%

Life is uncertain and you never know when you might need some extra funds. You decide to keep your remaining money.

A few months later, you’re catching up on tech blogs when you see a photograph of one of your robots - only, it’s not your robot. The story is about an upstart Chinese robotics company, funded by the Chinese government itself. “We believe this company will help us finally make Mao’s dream a reality,” says party official Zheng Guowei. “If robots do all the labor, it will allow China to modernize while at the same time breaking out of the bad cycles of exploitation that occur in the West.” There is a photo of Mr. Zheng. It’s Mr. Sun, whom you met in Shanghai. You regret having ever allowed your technology to fall into their hands.

Soon, you find your prices being undercut and your profits suffer.

A few weeks later, you wake up to a blaring alarm while it’s still dark. It’s your phone, and it only has that annoying alarm for a few specific callers. You reach over and check it.

EXPLOSION at Alaska factory. Fire department on its way. Three human supervisors missing. Some robots trapped inside. Suspected cause of explosion is robot error.

What objective will you tell your physical security robots to prioritize until you get down there?

1. Free the trapped robots.
  2. Look for the missing, human supervisors.
  3. Try to rescue the expensive laser cutters and 3D printers.
  4. Stay safe.

Save my babies! 1

We’re going to need as many robots as we can get if we’re going to… talk… with the Chinese.

2. Look for the missing, human supervisors.

If the humans die, probably for the best. They might have seen our robots screw up.

Also, damn the Chinese! :-D

I know, right? I even tried the middle of the road option and we still would’ve been screwed, just with less money. That one is really going to hurt us later.

We can always build more robots.

.3. Try to rescue the expensive laser cutters and 3D printers.

Hey, it wasn’t my idea that they were Chinese ;)

I agree, #3. What’s the point of making robots that are exact replicas if we don’t treat them as at least partly expendable?

We’ve given them so much autonomy that treating then as expendable and/or sub-human will backfire horribly.

You do make a good point. Luckily, it looks like #1 is winning.

Sorry for the delay, guys! Let’s get this show on the road!

we have 4 votes for one, 2 for three, and a single vote for two, so we’re going to go with 1: Free the trapped robots.

No change in stats.

You quickly text back that physical security should free the trapped robots.

Then you drive down to the factory in your ancient Toyota Yaris.

You come to the factory just before sunrise, the fiery blaze bright orange against the early morning indigo sky. A dark column of smoke reaches up to block out the full moon.

Josh is already there, black with soot, carrying the builky 3D printers and laser cutters out of the building.

You physical security robots emerge from the burning building in a big group, carrying one of your giant robots on their shoulders. You can see some others in various states of disrepair lying in the parking lot.

You suspect telling your physical security robots to save the robots was unnecessary - they seem to look out for their own.

Josh has a brief coughing fit as he turns around to head back into the burning building.

1. I try to stop Josh from going back into the burning building.
  2. I tell my robots to go inside and save the missing human supervisors.
  3. Actually, wooden robots are probably not the best in a fire. I tell my robots they’ve done enough already, and they should hang back.

3, I think. Let Josh be the suicidal hero of this fire. Our robots must live!

Oh right. We have giant Arachnebots now.

Given this I’m going with 1. I try to stop Josh from going back into the burning building and hope the robots are smart enough to not wander back into the fire (though if Josh goes down with the fire and we get put in charge… hmm, not the worst thing).

2. I tell my robots to go inside and save the missing human supervisors.

Now that we’ve saved the robots, time to save the humans #2

What? I’m not a complete monster.

Least-consistent RP everrrr < /tabletop nerd>