Let's play Dwarf Fortress: Happy Accidents

We’re up to 17 dwarves by my count. I’ve added a roster to the bottom of the first post and I’m generating a world right now. If I’ve missed anyone, let me know! I’d hoped to at least post profiles of the starting 7 today, but it was a busy day. Wednesday looks more promising.

My brokers tend to double as record keepers, as most do, I assume. I’ll make sure to keep you off broker duty if you want, but just think–as record keeper you could have your office in the middle of a vast stockpile of wood. Just a solid granite throne and a barrel of beer and the limbs and trunks of a hundred happy little trees down there in the dark. Down there with you, chuckling as you count them all.

The furnace workers will need more charcoal soon. Soon you’ll consign them to the fire.

Surely that’s worth dealing with an elf or two each year?

Sweet!

Likewise for everyone else who’s thrown their name in. Thanks, everyone! Adventure and industry await us on the morrow.

Fantastic! What could possibly go wrong?

If we ignore the possibility of “everything”, I’m pretty sure that just leaves nothing. We’re essentially in the clear.

In the early spring of the year 500, seven stalwart dwarves set forth in search of a better life beyond the confines of their glacier. Whether or not they found that life is a matter for another story. This is the tale of how the dwarves came to Paintsplattered, and what befell them there.

“Unhitch the horses, lads. We’ve reached green hills at last!”

Admittedly, it may look to the untrained eye as those there are no hills here. It may likewise look as though we’re surrounded on three sides by dead trees and dry grass. But that’s what separates the common workerdwarf from the Management. The map clearly says we’re straddling the boundary between the Basic Forests and the Fated Hill, and so if there are no hills here, we shall simply have to make them.

And, yes, there’s dry grass and dead trees on three sides. But what of the fourth, you ask? On the fourth side we’re hemmed in by a happy little stream. The map names it “Torturechannels,” but surely that’s creative liberty. (And such liberties will be reported by the Management to the Mountainhomes, rest assured.)

At any rate, one of the happy little trees will soon provide wood enough for a drawbridge, and then we’ll be safe from whatever lurks in the forest. Even if we have to dig deep and seal ourselves inside, we’re well stocked with provisions. In the days before we left the Mountainhomes, we sheared the llamas and milked the pigs and made a great slaughter of the reindeer. Pig cheese and reindeer hearts will see us through to the first harvest, and we’ll bandage our wounds with llama wool. What could possibly go wrong?

–The Management, 500-01-15

By order of the Management, there are to be no mistakes in Paintsplattered, only happy accidents.

[It recently came to my attention that I got the position of the Basic Forests and Fated Hill backwards. I’m sure that will be the first of many happy accidents. Anyway, Let’s meet our starting seven.]

Dwarven profiles:

wisefool, as 'Minesign' Idsanreb, miner

Mr_Bismarck, as 'Rith Irerush' Asteshnicat, second of his name, miner and adequate crutch-walker

SamS, as 'Gary' Ocigas, carpenter

Left_Empty, as 'Jord' Dishmabuzol, mason

'Gendal, as Gendal' Moruldibesh, brewer

Nightgaunt, as 'Anan Zisur' Onulvudthar, expedition leader and cook

'Fifth_fret, as 'Zikath Bumal-Ish' Urolineth, planter

Woo! Expedition leader! (You guys are screwed.)

In which the Management addresses concerns of the common workerdwarf:

“The forest is fairly crawling with beetles. Giant undead beetles that know no fear or pain. If we stop here they’ll have mangled all the dogs inside of a month.”

It is the opinion of the Management that the giant undead beetle menace is greatly overstated. Their chitin is weak, and our dogs are numerous.

“The flat wooded area across the stream looks so much more inviting. The grass is soft and green, the boughs hang low with fruit, and the dead do not walk there. Surely it’s an all-around better location for a fortress of any kind.”

It is the opinion of the Management that there are many dangers in those green depths. Snapping turtles are known to dwell in streams. Where will all your toes be when you realize, too late, that your shoes are but silk or wool? And consider, too, that Gary the carpenter has been pressed into woodcutting service. Do you trust the unpracticed swings of his axe to fell those fruit trees safely?

Furthermore, it is the unwavering stance of the Management that the northern side of the stream is practically riddled with hills. We will brook no argument on this point.

Report to the Mountainhomes, Early Spring 500

The common workerdwarf knows too much. We shall have to increase the rum ration, and hold festive dances in the temple to distract them. We shall have to build a temple, too, and take an inventory of the rum.

At any rate, it is well that the forest was not crawling with giant undead beetles, for they surely would have mangled all the dogs inside of a month. As it stands, we nearly lost a dog to the one beetle that we’ve seen so far.

Fig 1: Canine health report

We may take some comfort in knowing that its chitin was indeed quite weak, and its mangled corpse lies where it fell. We should probably do something about that, but for now we’re leaving it as a sort of “This could be YOU!” message for the common workerdwarf. Or other giant undead beetles. Either way, really.

Fig. 2: This could be YOU!

There was a brief interruption by a giant undead moth, as well, but Anan Zisur set an example for the rest of us by crushing its head with a single punch.

Elsewhere, the wisdom of the Management has been amply demonstrated in the form of a common snapping turtle sighted on the north bank. It might have given us some trouble, but a still-flapping barn owl corpse occupies its attention for now. Neither one seems able to harm the other, so we’re content regard them as two potential problems that solved each other as we leave them to it.

Work on the fortress progresses accordingly. A proper drawbridge was determined to be an unnecessary extravagance at this crucial juncture, and work began on a tunnel instead. As soon as it was finished, Gary was pressed into woodcutting service. On the other side of the stream, of course. No one’s quite certain he’s ever seen an axe before, and while the Management’s stance on happy accidents remains firm and unwavering, we should like to avoid any unfortunate axe-idents.

Fig. 3: Damp stone, the miner's bane!

Damp%20stone

Minesign and Rith Irerush have carved out two damp-and-gritty-yet-spacious chambers in the sandy side of the Torturechannel’s north bank. With all possible speed we hope to move our supplies underground. As time allows, and if a tree hasn’t fallen on him, we’ll ask Gary to make a table and chair for Anan Zisur. Between the journey here and hastily throwing everything in a hole in the ground, we’ve lost track of how much rum we have left, and where our reindeer hearts have gotten off to. And if anyone’s seen the last of the pig cheese, they aren’t talking. Some proper bookkeeping is in order, no doubt.

Fig. 4: How not to organize your supplies

–The Management, 500-01-28

Attached you will find one formal complaint concerning Jord’s fancy and decidedly non-standard llama leather shoes, and one formal complaint concerning the Mountainhomes’ failure to equip non-Jord members of the expedition with regulation and decidedly practical llama leather shoes. It is our sincerest hope that–given the lack of major incidents at Paintsplattered–both issues will be resolved swiftly and to our mutual satisfaction.

Well, this is off to a splendid start. I’m sure Zikâth Bumal-Ish will be able to plant some crops in no time, unmolested by undead moths or owlbears.

Excellent start!

Some backstory on Rith Newhandle and her actions when I was first introduced to her in my game.

Rith's Skills

Technically Rith wasn’t the most talentless Dorf I’ve ever seen - I’ve had plenty of immigrants in other forts whose skill set was literally a blank page - but somehow having only one talent and that being an ability to walk at an above average speed when using crutches somehow felt worse than being a completely blank slate.

One of Rith’s legacies was in making me think about crutch walking as an ability. On later forts I opened “Rith Newhandle Immigration Processing Centres” which were rooms all the new immigrants in a wave would funnel into.

Once there the floor would open and everyone inside would fall two Z levels, suffering an assortment of broken bones.

Fortunately, the room they would fall into was my Medical Training Centre, where Doctors would gather the fallen and fix them up. Once the bones had healed the immigrants could be accepted into the fort proper, having served an invaluable service to Dwarven Medical Science.

Rith's Arrival

Rith arrived at my fort in the second immigration wave and found one of the original seven serving as Mayor. With no useful skills she was put to work hauling garbage and polishing the walls and floors in prominent public places so that actually important Dwarfs could go about their day with happy thoughts.

Rith ended up spending extended time with a sort of ignored underclass of people who clean stone floors with their own toothbrushes. This would turn out to be a problem.

Rith's Mood

After some time spent in mindless floor cleaning Rith fell into a bit of a funny mood and locked herself into a workshop. We surrounded the workshop with as much exotic material as we could muster in the hope that something magnificent would come out of this artistic upwelling.

She made a cup.

A cup that menaced with spikes, which is great because I can’t tell you how difficult it is to find a nice drinking mug that menaces properly. Most of them have no spikes at all, allowing you to just pour the contents into your mouth without so much as piercing an eyeball! Who needs that?

Somehow, this travesty of pottery elevated Rith all the way from dabbling engraver to LEGENDARY ENGRAVER and made her one of the most famous toothbrush floor cleaners in all the land.

Rith's Ascension

At some point later the shiny new Mayor’s quarters were finished and the Original Seven Mayor, Ilushoddom the Islander was all set to move in. Unfortunately this was the point “the people” got together and decided to elect a new Mayor.

Ilushoddom got all the votes from the Original Seven, but Rith was now something of a celebrity after the display of her menacing mug and had spent very extended time with the little people who cleaned stone floors with their own toothbrushes, becoming tremendously popular with them and garnering all their votes.

Suddenly Rith was the new Mayor and the walls she had spent days smoothing to a level fit for a leader would now turn out to be her own.

Rith's Decoration

Rith’s first decree as Mayor was to ban the export of mittens, because heaven knows that was pressing work that someone needed to get to. Her second decree was that her new quarters weren’t quite fancy enough and needed engraving.

Thanks to her magnificent menacing cup of destiny Rith was the most talented engraver we had, but I couldn’t really ask her to engrave her own walls. Especially as she had already smoothed all her own walls.

So I checked down the talent list and the second most talented Engraver was… Ilushoddom the Islander - the former Mayor. I told him to stop moaning about losing the election, gave him orders to decorate the walls of Rith’s rooms and moved on.

Sometime later Ilushoddom announced he was finished, so I went to check out his handwork and discovered he had engraved Rith’s walls with images of his own face. Thirteen times.

The Madness of Rith

Power started to go to Rith’s head (that or living in a room with someone else’s face carved into the walls thirteen times), and she began firing out an endless stream of decrees, from banning mittens to requiring mittens to banning glass imports, then requiring glass crafts, then asking for the creation of a stockpile of socks, then banning the export of socks meaning we had a fort full of socks.

The demands were nearly all nonsensical, but all followed by fits of anger when we couldn’t meet the ever-changing requirements in the short time frames she provided before changing her mind and focus again.

Worse, she would randomly punish Dorfs for not meeting her arbitrary desires and at one point she punished so many Dorfs for not fulfilling her weird sock fetish that we ran out of places to put them. Without adequate detention available she had one Dorf put to death instead.

Obviously this was dragging down the fort’s overall happiness which can cause problems if left unchecked, so something had to be done.

Then she demanded a statue.

The Rise and Fall of Rith

I embraced Rith’s demand for a statue with gusto, building an enormous dragon by the entry way to the fort. The dragon was made almost entirely of gold, except for the parts that touched the lava I had pumped up from many levels below. The lava fell through the dragon’s gaping maw to make it appear to be constantly breathing fire.

Finally Rith was ready for the grand unveiling of her dragon and stood in the designated spot for the best viewing.

That spot was on a drawbridge. When the LEVER OF EXCITEMENT was pulled the drawbridge snapped up and sent Rith flying into space. As planned, she flew through the mouth of the dragon, her clothes ignited by the falling lava and then she vanished into the distance like a flaming meteorite.

I sold her cup to the next caravan and gave everyone a free pair of socks.

I love that!

Tomorrow’s update will feature a palette of cardinal, crimson, and dwarf tears. Incidentally, how much blood can one dwarf have? Asking for a friend.

Edit: Also dog-tooth white.

Attn: The common workerdwarf

Giant zombie cardinals! Run for your lives!

–A friendly reminder from The Management

The People’s Report to the Mountainhomes, Mid Spring 500

We regret to inform you that Anan Zisur has met her untimely demise at the claws, wings, and beaks of a flock of giant cardinal corpses. There were nine of them, and they fell upon her with uncommon fury as she relaxed by the banks Torturechannel.

Not our fault, pt.1

Not our fault, pt.2

We further regret to inform you that, while we were writing to inform you of Anan Zisur’s untimely demise, Zikath Bumal-Ish and Minesign have met their own, even less timely demises. It is our understanding that they were engaged in the picking and eating of asparagus when the cardinals struck.

Definitely not our fault, pt.1

Definitely not our fault, pt.2

In the absence of a Mountainhomes-approved official, we have decided amongst ourselves to appoint Gary as our new expedition leader. Gary is a solid, sensible dwarf of the people. She has a good head on her shoulders, and will undoubtedly lead the folk of Paintsplattered to lofty new heights.

Also she has an axe

Best regards,
The industrious people of Paintsplattered, 500-02-22

Addendum to the People’s Report to the Mountainhomes, Mid Spring 500

We regret to inform you that Gary’s head is no longer on her shoulders. Efforts are currently underway to locate it, and all the rest of her, for purposes of proper burial. Also because Gendal wants her axe.

Okay, maybe starting to be our fault -or- Lofty new heights!

In the absence of a Mountainhomes-approved official, we have decided amongst ourselves to appoint Rith Irerush as our new expedition leader. His qualities are dubious at best, but we have few options. We’re locked in the western wing of the supply chambers. We have no supplies of any use. Let the dwarf with the pick solve this problem, we say.

Please send help.

Soonish would be good

Best regards,
The industrious people of Paintsplattered, 500-02-23

The Current Management’s Report to the Mountainhomes, Mid Spring 500

Let it never be said that the people of Paintsplattered are trapped underground in a sandy hole with no supplies. In point of fact, only 43% of the people of Paintsplattered are trapped underground in a sandy hole, and we have ample stores of coal and leather heaped up in the corners. (And some clay, too, which we used to stop up all the entrances.) The remaining 57% are dead and decaying on the surface. Though the common worker dwarf is slow to recognize good news when she or he hears it, this is really quite encouraging. Had the esteemed members of the Previous Management and their subordinates not died where they stood, they might have lain awhile in the dead, dry fescue grass only to rise again and come in search of those still living. Or worse, their well-deserved hazard pay.

Nevertheless, our situation has never been more precarious. One blue peahen, three dwarves, and a dog–a delicious, meaty dog–are all that we could rescue from the storm of wings outside. Coal and leather make poor substitutes for proper meals, and we’ve nothing at all by which to quench our thirst. (Indeed, the common workerdwarf may have to be pressed into service as a butcher. It would not do to let hunger cloud the Management’s judgement at this crucial juncture, and that dog is a fine, big fellow with a russet coat that looks surprisingly appetizing…)

[Several spots that might be drool mar the page here]

It is truly the least happy of all our recent accidents, then, that the food and drink were piled so carelessly out in the hallway instead of here in our cozy little burrow. Reclaiming them will be a daunting task, for though our friends outside have fallen silent, the cries of our surviving animals still reach us, to say nothing of the awful flapping. Anyone who steps outside invites being pecked to death, and further rescue attempts would only draw the corpsebirds to us.

Nevertheless, we must persevere. It is what the Previous Management would have wanted. And all hope is not yet lost, for we have a tool in our repertoire that they did not! When the situation demands it, we’ll simply blame the Previous Management, thus allaying any suspicions about the capabilities of the Current Management.

–The Current Management, 500-02-24

Attn: The common workerdwarf

Let us weep for our fallen comrades. Though these trying times have left our hearts as dead and dry as the fescue grass in which they so nearly lay, let us think fondly on the Previous Management and their tireless efforts to keep us safe from unexpected flocks of unexpectedly furious cardinal corpses.

And let us not judge the common workerdwarf too harshly for so carelessly squandering their own lives–and thereby our mutual comfort and security!–in reckless pursuit of unauthorized asparagus.

–A friendly reminder from The Management

By order of the Management, mandatory weeping hours from 9:00-12:00 will be in effect until further notice.

By order of the Management, all weeping is to be done metaphorically only until further notice. Until we regain access to our stock of alcohol or, indeed, liquid refreshment of any kind, tears are strictly rationed. Squander them at your peril.

The Current Management’s Report to the Mountainhomes, Late Spring 500

Our situation has grown tolerably stable. In an act born of equal parts courage and desperation, we tore down a bit of the clay between us and the loathsome flock. While they busied themselves chasing our livestock, we crept out and mounded up some clay in the central hallway. Half our food and drink remained outside the new clay wall, yes, but less than half the expedition survived to eat and drink, so we considered it a victory. We gained access to our store of willow logs by the same maneuver, greatly expanding the tools available to us. With Jord promoted to acting carpenter, we were at last able to collapse into snug little beds at the end of the day. What’s more, Rith Irerush could finally sit in a proper chair and count our holdings.

Fig. 1: A well-paced wall

It soon became apparent that our wall of clay was poorly placed. While we had all the rum and most of the remaining cheese, the reindeer hearts were still out of reach, along with the wine, beer, and ale. The seeds, too, had been left for the cardinals, bringing an indefinite halt to our plans for the Zikath Bumal-Ish memorial garden.

(But perhaps this is just as well. Until the farms could be excavated and prepared, the Previous Management had assigned Zikath to gather wild plants to help fill out the larder. Multiple witness among the survivors can attest to seeing Zikath returning with an armload of tender, crisp asparagus stalks. The very same witnesses spoke of having seen Minesign eating asparagus shortly before the cardinals attacked. And now, during his month of bookkeeping, Rith Irerush has been unable to locate a single stalk. It is the opinion of the Current Management, then, that Zikath Bumal-Ish and Minesign were likely engaged in a conspiracy to eat all the asparagus without sharing. A formal complaint shall be filed.)

For the better part of a month, we waited, and listened, and mourned our fallen comrades, and cursed our inability to give them a proper burial, or even a memorial. And then, at last, we heard not the chirps and flaps of giant zombie murder birds, but the plaintive little mews of our wayward fortress cat. Jord quickly cut a door to size while Gendal tore down a bit of the clay. It was the first time any of us had stepped outside since the attack began. You may well imagine our threefold delight, then, at finding our doorstep no longer darkened by dead cardinals; at having a real and proper doorstep; and at having our cat returned to us.

Fig. 2: A vital component of any proper home

With the spirits of the common workerdwarf and the Current Management alike thus lifted, we grew bold once more, and struck out for the surface. Jord built a light and supple cage to keep our livestock safe until better accommodations can be arranged. Gendal took up Gary’s axe and felled a few more trees. Rith Irerush put the finishing touches on the fortress inventory. And gradually, as our fallen comrades’ blood began to wash away, summer came to Paintsplattered.

Fig. 3: Industry progresses again!

–The Current Management, 500-04-01

Attached you will find:

One formal complaint regarding Zikath Bumal-Ish and Minesign’s conspiracy to eat all the asparagus without sharing.

One formal petition for a competent cook and herbalist to be dispatched with all possible speed, because, while we’ve never eaten asparagus-and-reindeer-heart biscuits, we’d really like to try someday.

One formal inquiry as to how many teeth a dog actually has, because there are really quite a lot of them blanketing the southern bank of the stream.

One informal invitation to come see the all dog teeth–some of them are even up in the trees, it’s pretty amazing.

No one ever expects the undead Spanish inquisition.

Oh no Gary!

Zikath did not last long!

The dog teeth-viewing tourism industry will clearly be a major economic boost someday!

Rith will do anything for power.

I’d like to point out, that Anan Zisur performed perhaps her most vital service to the troupe when she demonstrated how dangerous those red dead birds were.

Poor, poor Gary. Nice axe though, I feel sure they would have wanted a mighty dwarf like Gendal to have it with our eternal war against the trees. Kind of heavy though. Maybe two more swings before we go raid the larder for cheese and the nearest container of alcohol.

I almost feel guilty that this latest update made me laugh so hard. :)

I’m in the same boat. I don’t frequently laugh out loud at things I read, but rossbob has been getting me pretty reliably.