Let's settle the debate. Die Hard.

I mean, Die Hard is not a movie where Christmas is a primary focus, but it is a consistent presence.

It couldn’t have happened any other time of year. The holiday party, the skeleton crew in the building, the lacking security and initial police presence, none of those events could’ve come together otherwise at any other holiday except MAYBE Thanksgiving.

Noted: Die Hard is basically a Thanksgiving movie.

Just wanted to chime in for a moment and say this is currently my favorite thread on the whole forum.

Carry on.

NOW I HAVE A MACHINE GUN
GOBBLE-GOBBLE-GOBBLE

It practically writes itself!

“Yipee Ki Yay, did you know that the first European settlers in the Americas slaughtered the native inhabitants by the millions? Now you die #woke, terrorist scum!”

I will end you and everyone you love.

Right, I am not disputing that it is an element of the plot, I am just saying it’s not the thing the plot is about the way it is in, say, A Christmas Carol. But my point is that having the latter be the only kind of movie that counts as being about Christmas isn’t really doing anyone any favors because there’s only so many ways you can tell that kind of story.

Oh I wasn’t disputing you, sorry, I was trying to build upon what you already said. Sorry if I wasn’t clearer, still early. ;)

Ok, let’s just consider this.

Presumably, we aren’t limiting Christmas movies to only being about Jesus and the birth of Christ. So then we need to ask, “what does being about Christmas mean?”

Let’s consider another classic movie that i think we would all agree is a Christmas movie, “The Christmas Story.” It’s not about Jesus. It’s about a kid, his family, and some stuff that happens to him in the time period surrounding Christmas.

The actions of Ralphie are related to Christmas to various extents, from stuff surrounding his desire for a BB gun, to stuff that’s really not related to Christmas at all, like the kid licking the flag pole.

Really, the only thing that makes it a “Christmas movie”, is that it takes place around Christmas.

Die Hard passes that requirement. It takes place around Christmas, in a setting which is decorated for Christmas. Without Christmas, the key plot elements wouldn’t be possible. It’s why the building is mostly empty, with everyone gathered in one big room. It’s why McClain is on the west coast. It’s carried throughout the entire movie with various thematic elements like the music.

If die hard isn’t a Christmas movie, then what is the requirement to be a Christmas movie that it is failing to meet?

I would be happy to sacrifice A Christmas Story from the Christmas canon if it meant that dad couldn’t ever make me watch it again.

So 99% of Hallmark Christmas movies are rom coms where the primary focus is relationship but there is this consistent presence of Christmas.

Christmas movies are basically movies that invoke the feeling and the emotions that are tied to and remind someone of Christmas. There are a lot of movies that get release around Christmas but not all of them actually do that. And yes, it’s a cultural thing which means it’s not a agreed upon thing.

One of the best things about not having cable is the inability of TBS to torture anyone on Christmas at my house.

And some of them are totally insane.

Haha

Yes, yes that’s what we need. Christmas Family Torture Movies. How is giving not better shown than catering to all unique families during the holiday season?

It kind of degenerates into a traditional (but bad) romcom in the second half, unfortunately. But in a way, that’s still great, because you can’t stop goggling at how they’re glossing over how insane the premise is. Why are these people acting like this is remotely normal or acceptable?

Haha. There is nothing realistic about those types of movies. Perhaps they just gave up pretending there is and went for the broke! There is nothing original about them either. 12 Christmas Eve’s is just Ground Hogs day, but I know more than a few that will just snuggle up and watch them with a smile… sometimes that’s me because that breed of movie is on Hulu, Netflix and Amazon.

Not really. Recent stuff is top-of-mind because it’s what gets mentioned by friends and coworkers, discussed in the Qt3 movie podcast and threads here, shows up in ads and trailers, is recognized in awards shows, is front and center when browsing Redbox rentals, etc. Filtering down to the good stuff is a 30-second scan of RottenTomatoes.

The canon in the form of “100 movies to see before you die” or the like is certainly out there, but not anywhere near as ubiquitous.

Of course! (and read the book, and had my kids watch it)

Hey kid, you should let the adults, who have actually seen Die Hard, talk. Go play with your Leggos or whatever you youngins do all day.

Good.

Push glasses back up bridge of nose