Let's talk about... Cat Piss

From http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_pheromone:

Cat urine, especially that of male cats, contains the putative cat pheromone 3-mercapto-3-methylbutan-1-ol (MMB), a compound that gives cat urine its typical odor. The MMB precursor felinine is synthesized in the urine from 3-methylbutanol-cysteinylglycine (3-MBCG) by the excreted peptidase cauxin. Felinine then slowly degrades into the volatile MMB.

And from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3-mercapto-3-methylbutan-1-ol:

MMB was also found in Sauvignon blanc wines

Ahahaha! That’s one way to give your wine some punch.

Heh. :-)

My father insists that a solution of baking soda and water plus vigorous scrubbing should neutralize any odors. Then again, I think according to him, baking soda and water also neutralizes arthritis, gout, and communism.

Scrubbing I have low hopes for, as the brick is some 60 years old and fairly porous – I fear the stinky bits are simply out of reach. Then again it’s a simple enough thing to try…

Well, we own the house, so moving involves selling – I suspect getting rid of the piss stench is probably a strong factor in how long the house would sit on the market. ;-)

Another vote for Natures Miracle, a good enzyme cleaner. I’ve also had success with the pet odor eliminator that Woolite makes.

For reference, the ineffective spray I tried is called “Gone!”. Needless to say I don’t recommend it.

Another vote for NM. We have an elderly dog who has frequent accidents on a tile floor in the sunroom, and we let the NM soak into the grout. It seems to take care of it to the point that I can’t smell it (but apparently the dog can, since she keeps going in that spot).

Yeah, letting it soak in and evaporate on its own is key. The scrubbing is mainly just to remove any liquids/solids on the surface, but it sounds like that has already been taken care of.

After soaking it with NM, try putting a damp towel over the area. It may help keep it from drying out too soon.

Yeah, Nature’s Miracle works MUCH better than Gone. We’ve had at least 2, and as many as 5 cats, over the past 20 years, and they inevitably sometimes get into pissing matches.

One other suggestion I might make would be vinegar. Just white or apple cider vinegar is a great cleaning/disinfecting agent, plus I don’t find the smell bad at all. I know some folks do.

But Nature’s Miracle will probably solve your problem for you. The hard part sometimes is figuring out exactly where the damned cat sprayed.

That’s where a fluorescent light comes in handy. PROS: It will help you figure out where the cat pee is. CONS: Using it all over the house will make you want to move out of your house and burn it down because it will look like a pay-by-the-hour motel room in which a hooker was murdered.

Nature’s Miracle is the best thing out there, as others have said. However, it is NOT perfect and still unlikely to truly work. It will be better than any other option though.

You can try endless Nature’s Miracle and FIRE FIRE FIRE, but if it’s brick you’re probably completely screwed. It’s porous.

We just picked up some Feliway for a similar problem. Anyone else here use it?

So far, so good but I can’t tell if that’s because of the product or because the cat is figuring things out. She was pissing in one of the kid bedrooms and didn’t stop when the litter box there was removed, but stopped after a few days when it was put back again. We haven’t exactly been scientific in picking our strategies, due to varying philosophies and levels of patience. (I did not want to place a litter box in that bedroom in the first place but was overruled.)

Actually, I’ve used it, and it does indeed work. You have to continually refresh it, though, and it’s pricey.

For litter box problems, there is also a special litter called Car Attract that is quite effective at getting them to stick to the box. Also pricey, but worth it.

If I spray some of that in my garage, will my car start parking itself there?

Sounds more like it will start leaking fluids in there.

Yet another vote for Nature Miracle, both my sister and I have had multi-cat households and have troubles with this particular set of cats in marking their territory. Also a black light is helpful in identify where the urine is, just like the CSI folks use.

Note that there is a distinct and much worse odor for cats marking than just normal pee.

Just out of curiosity are either of your cats from the humane society? Are there other cats in the neighborhood?

You should never put litter in a bedroom. That’s nuts. It should be somewhere with a tile floor, like a laundry room or bathroom. Even if the cat uses the box, sometimes they miss a bit. You don’t want any of that on carpet or wood floors.

Luckily my cat is quite clean and uses the neighbours garden or the litterbox for that sort of thing. It does however drag in dirt and the occasional live victim for its torture dungeon…
(since we don’t actually have a dungeon and the cat likes an audience this can be quite messy if we don’t act fast).

However, lately we have had problems with worms, which leads to a thin and sick cat, vomitting and having to clean up vomit with live white worms in it (Fucking yech!)
We go to the vet, pay a lot of money, get medicine, pay a lot of money, and a month later he has worms again - the vet said that if it happens again he would like to take the cat in for a thorough examination that would cost at least $350.
Now, I grew up in the country where cats lived mostly outside and lived or died - and I can feel that even though I like the cat, $350+ is nearing the threshold where I’d rather spend money on something else. I could have the cat put down with only a slight pang of guilt, but I worry how my kids would feel, or I could forego the examination and buy more pills, whenever we see worms.
Suggestions?
(Besides telling me I’m a horrible person).