Let's talk vasectomies

Well, my wife who has researched the subject thoroughly, says your wife is full of shit.

A friend had the procedure and somehow developed an infection down there. (I was told) that his applebag swelled up to the size of a rec league softball and stayed that size for a period of time.

Of course, now that his kids are a few years older (entering the teen years), his wife is hinting about reversing the procedure and having another child.

Its a much safer procedure for a guy … it’s major surgery for a woman (us having our parts all internal and all.)

Oh come on. You’re the ones having all the babies! It seems fair.

(just kidding)

The major surgery part is no longer true. My wife had a tubal ligation done a year or so ago. She had to have…um…other work done anyway. Totally out-patient, no cutting, no real recovery time.

-CJ

I’d rather get my throat cut, thanks. I mean, what could be higher on your top ten “No fuckin way!” list than men going near your penis with a scalpel?!

It’s called maturity. When you decide you don’t want to have children, this is the way to make sure and also to give your partner a break from having to take a pill filled with hormones every day of her life.

It doesn’t reduce your sex drive and there’s no difference in sexual performance whatsoever. You’re simply not making babies.

I am a fan of having her take 1 pill/day for the next 25 years or so. Nobody has to get anything tied, soldered, or removed. Besides, my boys have to be ready to go in the event I am a sole survivor in an earthwide catastrophe and need to repopulate the planet by myself. Now there’s a nightmare scenario for you.

This wife fight is useless without pictures. Also, pillows.

It is a piece of cake. One or two days with ice on your nads afterwards- and then the kidde count stays at 2. If you don’t do the ice things- you will have a grapefruit down there- I’ve seen pictures, which was enough to make me do the ice for the whole prescribed time.
Hell I asked then to take the damn things off- think of the advantage in sparring- but they said that is not a very good idea…
Oh as for erictle disfunction- mine still works just fine.

Words fail me. Seriously.

Yes, a world in which all future humans are your descendents absolutely qualifies as a nightmare scenario.

I am a fan of having her take 1 pill/day for the next 25 years or so. Nobody has to get anything tied, soldered, or removed. Besides, my boys have to be ready to go in the event I am a sole survivor in an earthwide catastrophe and need to repopulate the planet by myself. Now there’s a nightmare scenario for you.

So you’re comfortable with your wife taking a pill every day that messes with her body chemistry? That’s … not sure I have the words, actually.

If you need a selfish reason to get her off pills (and you evidently do), many women feel an increased sex drive when they finally get off birth control.

Cue graphic blood filled scene in movie where guy is trying to reverse his vasectomy by a dirty gas station sink with a broken plastic toothbrush and a dental pick.

“I’d rather get my throat cut, thanks. I mean, what could be higher on your top ten “No fuckin way!” list than men going near your penis with a scalpel?!”

It’s not a scalpel. It’s a soldering iron. Big difference.

Seriously, I know any procedure can have complications, just as sex can lead to pregnancy which can have a TON of complications. Getting the snip is pretty routine these days. It’s easier for men than it is for women, and it’s a nice gesture to do this for your partner once you are done having kids.

I’d love you/r wife to hit me up with those too, because a vasectomy performed under proper sterile conditions is easily one of the quickest, safest surgical procedures extant. The incision is no greater than half a centimeter, and the actual snipping is done with the vas deferens reflected outside the scrotum. The VD does not run concurrent with any nerve tracts responsible for erection. My only guess is those stats account for botched vasectomies, which given the high number of vasectomies performed (and general/family practitioner can perform one, all you need is the will, a jock strap, someone to drive you and the aforementioned bag of frozen peas) is as likely as it is for any other invasive procedure.

Repeat: a vasectomy performed properly will NOT lead to infection, cysts, or ED. I myself have performed them. That is all.

The question here is have you performed them on a willing patient?

I feel as if I have to chime in here…
The pill really is not bad. In my opinion it is if not #1, it’s in the top 5 greatest advances of the 20th century. There are many different formulations of the pill, so if one doesn’t work well – change it.

The pill works by suppressing ovulation, constant ovulation is a relatively new thing evolutionary wise, and may be a ‘less natural’ state. The pill has a number of health benefits such as…

Probably one of the most exciting health benefits of the pill is that its use can dramatically reduce a woman’s chance of ever getting certain types of cancer. Women who use the pill for 3-4 years can decrease their chance of ovarian cancer by 50%, and if they have used the pill for at least 10 years an 80% reduction is seen, truly amazing. Also, use of the pill for at least 2 years reduces the risk of endometrial cancer (cancer of the uterine lining) by 40%, and 4 or more years of use reduces this risk by 60%.

http://www.obgyn.net/women/women.asp?page=/women/articles/coffee_talk/ct005

http://www.fda.gov/bbs/topics/CONSUMER/CON00027.html (Note - Old article, in 1990 cervical cancer was not known to be viral in origin, the pill can’t protect against that).

Not sure about the sex drive issues… But here’s a hint, for most women sex drive takes a back seat to sleep. Women can be ‘too tired’, men are almost never too tired. --Just saying. If your wife is too tired after working all day, getting home, taking care of the kids and you. It’s probably not the pill.

Edit: The pill has been in use for 40 years now, and millions of women worldwide have taken it. If there were any dramatic side effects / issues they would have shown up by now.

Not sure about the sex drive issues… But here’s a hint, for most women sex drive takes a back seat to sleep. Women can be ‘too tired’, men are almost never too tired. --Just saying. If your wife is too tired after working all day, getting home, taking care of the kids and you. It’s probably not the pill.

I didn’t say anything about her being tired. She mentioned the sex drive thing to me, I didn’t even know about it. She’s looking forward to it (although she has no lack of drive now, so I wonder how much trouble I’m going to be in … heh).

Plus you don’t have to worry about siring any bastards the next time you cheat on your wife with your receptionist, which would prove really awkward at company picnics.

Not that I advocate that sort of behavior, of course.

It’s a good thing. The bag o’ frozen peas is good advice. Be sure to make your wife think things are worse than it is but basically you’re going to go in for the proceedure on a Friday, get a prescription for Vicoden, lay on the couch and watch the tube all weekend while being served cold beers. It’s a free fucking vacation (with drugs!). Man up. And also find out from your wife if you should make shaving your privates a regular thing… just sayin’.