Let's try a new kind of community music playlist thingy: the Qt3 5for5

…or 545 for short if you like. :)

I’ll start off by saying that I’m blatantly stealing this idea from my friend Glenn, who started this with a bunch of us on Facebook about a month ago. It’s worked out great, and I’ve found on-ramps to artists whom I’d never appreciated (and in many cases, even heard of) before.

To start with, this is probably pretty much a Spotify-based idea. I’ve seen folks try to sub in some Youtube and whatever. You can try…but for simplicity’s sake, the more Spotify for this, probably the better.

The basic idea is simple: Imagine a musical artist that you know well and like. What 5 songs would you recommend for someone to help them “get” this artist and become a potential fan?

For instance, let’s say I wanted to highlight and make a 5 for 5 for Tool. My goal would be to make others appreciate Tool as much as I do. So…I could go and pick 5 Tool songs that I think stand the test of time, or maybe have always felt like they had widespread appeal.

Easy, right?

Well, let’s make it a little more interesting than that, maybe. Everyone and anyone is free to do any 5for5 for any artist in any way that they like. But…let’s say you were going to do one on Pink Floyd. So, you could just do Comfortably Numb, Money, Wish You Were Here, Hey You and Us and Them. Fine; that works.

But what’s probably a WAY more interesting 545 to your fellow Qt3ers is a Pink Floyd 545, pre Dark Side. Or a 545 of only deep cuts from late period Floyd. Etc. Assume, again, that people are curious and interested non-fans. Assume that maybe folks have heard all those listed Floyd songs a gajillion times, and they don’t need to necessarily hear them again. So maybe a 545 that goes beyond that to hook people?

But sometimes also, a hit or well-known song is necessary. You think it’s an important part of how people would connect to an artist. Go for it! You be you.

Just again, the idea: you’re introducing an artist to us. You’re trying to make us want to hear more. You’re trying to give us an on-ramp to an artist with a gajillion records.

Another thing I’d like to have is a request list. Have an artist you know is pretty great, but have never been able to really “get”? Put up a request and see if someone here is a fan and picks it up and posts a 545 for it.

Rules? Yeah, there are some rules. Guidelines. :)

1. A 545 (don’t ask about what that means, it’s nonsensical) consists of a 5-song playlist by an artist. Often, it pulls songs from as many different albums by the artist as possible.

2. The 545 should be all about being a playlist that introduces people to the artist, with the idea of making listeners into fans.

3. When you’ve made a 545 playlist for an artist, just post it in this thread. Use the “Share” button on Spotify, and grab the link!

4. Any genre of music is fair game! Wanna do jazz? Go for it. Metal? Absolutely. Punk? Pop? R&B? Hip Hop? Country? Make it so.

5. In order to keep anyone from monopolizing things, try to maybe only post one 545 per day. (On the Facebook group where this originally hatched, there were people posting like a dozen per day for a while!)

6. Feel free to do a 545 on an artist that someone else has already done! Just please maybe use different songs on your own playlist.

7. Try to use the original albums instead of greatest hits compilations, when possible when you put songs into your 545 playlist. That way if someone really loves a song they hear on your 545 playlist, they can easily find the album it originally was on. Still, there are times when Spotify doesn’t have the original record, but has the song you want on a greatest hits. Or, maybe the greatest hits has the highest-quality version of a song. Go with the flow. We’re easy. :)

8. Feel free to be creative! A great 545 that someone came up with elsewhere was “David Bowie, the 1990s: a 545” I also liked one that an Americana music fan came up with for Johnny Cash, the 1960s.

9. Ok, so about the whole 5 for 5 thing. Originally Glenn’s idea was that he was just going to make a playlist of 5 songs from the first 5 albums by a band called Polvo. 5 for 5, get it? But then he realized a better idea of inviting lots of folks to make playlists of artists and stuff. So, really this is probably more like a 5 for 1, or something smarter like that. But 545? It’s catchy. Maybe?

10. No judging. :) Someone in this facebook group posted a Bieber 545. And crazy thing is…it’s not terrible. It’s actually kind of OK.

Feel free to fire away, and I’ll post one or two of my own as well to seed the thread out.

Reserved for a list and links to 545’s. Just put them in a reply, but I’ll try to keep this post updated with all that get posted.

1. JD McPherson, a 545
2. King Crimson, the Forgotten Period
3. Lamb (Youtube 545)
4. Devin Townsend (per request for @arrendek!)
5. Plaid, a 545
6. Devin Townsend redux! (per request for @arrendek)
7. Aes Dana 5 for 5
8. Cocteau Twins 545
9. Elvis Costello 545
10. Better Than Ezra, a 545
11. 80s Electro! A FiveforFive
12. Nine Inch Nails, Only Instrumentals Five 4 Five
13. Chicane 545 (Via Youtube)
14. BT 545…progressive house!
15. The Satanic Pop Metal tones of Ghost, a 5for5
16. King Crimson, Larks’ Tongues in Aspic multiverse suite 545
17. Josh Ritter, Storyteller – a 545
18. Otis Taylor (A trance blues 545)
19. Shpongle: a 545!
20. John Cale, The Early Years
21. The Gardener – The Tallest Man On Earth 545
22. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds 545

Reserved for any requests, and I’ll post links to playlists if folks post playlists to fulfill those requests here.

Requests:

1. Tool. Sell me on them (by triggercut)
  2. Beyonce. (Really! by triggercut)
  3. Devin Townsend (w/ vocals, please. by arrendek) (Filled by CraigM. Feel free to make other D. Townsend playlists though!)
  4. Devin Townsend filled again by Armando!

Here’s a playlist I made for Oklahoma Americana/rockabilly singer/songwriter JD McPherson. Posting it first because I’d have never heard of him if someone on this forum hadn’t recommended him!

I decided to start off with “the forgotten period” of King Crimson: In the Wake of Poseidon, Lizard, and Islands, released from 1970 to 1972. These tend to get lost between their incredible debut with In the Court of the Crimson King, and the complete transformation made with Larks’ Tongues in Aspic. It certainly didn’t help that the group membership was, well, in flux, and only the Islands line-up ever played live and then only briefly.

There are some great gems in there–and I might go so far as to call Islands the best album they ever put out.

Oh wow! I absolutely had a hankering to listen to these early records, like a year ago…and they weren’t up on Spotify in North America at all.

And now they are. Also, fantastic choices, and really cool that you drew from the stuff between the first album and the Wetton/Bruford years.

It was only last year that Fripp gave in and put their studio albums up on streaming services.

I had more or less ignored these albums myself until they put out their massive box set, Sailor’s Tales, which covered this period. The title track of Islands, which closes out the album, is such a peaceful and beautiful work of music. It’s a perfect cap to the era. Going straight from that to the opening of Larks’ Tongues in Aspic is… a wake-up call.

Ok @CraigM (or @ArmandoPenblade?) or anyone else, give me a 545 for Devin Townsend. Pretty sure it was Craig who has waxed poetic about him before, but I still couldn’t get into his stuff with the advice given, including the way too large flow chart that was posted. I need something easy.

I like pretty much all metal, but if you need to focus then how about we favor sounds like progressive/symphonic metal (?) i.e. Kamelot, viking metal like Amon Amarth, and please with the vocals, I like-ah the vocals.

Only if you want, obvs

Cool, I’ll play! :)
I’m going to use Youtube though as I don’t use Spotify.

Lamb are an English electronic music duo from Manchester, whose music is influenced by trip hop, drum and bass and jazz.
Lamb (electronic band) - Wikipedia

Give me time, might be tricky due to camping with limited internet.

But yeah, I am absolutely 100% down for this

Thanks, and take your time, I’m not going anywhere for a long time. :D

Turns out this was super easy @arrendek

Note @ArmandoPenblade would put more Stormbending or Spirits Will Collide type songs. Mine definitely leans i to the weird and heavier sides of Devin.

Not that I dislike mellower songs like Letters From Africa, or War, Kingdom, Addicted etc. its just that I unabashedly love the fact Devin goes full on weird, and embraces it.

And if those first two songs don’t show you some of the breadth Devin has while remaining incredibly nerdy and weird, well, nothing will.

OK, I’ll play. Here’s a list for one of my favorite under-appreciated electronic artists that started in the 90’s IDM wave, Plaid. Just love these guys and they’ve somehow never garnered the attention that Aphex or Autechre got due to not being quite as rhythmically “challenging”, I suppose.

Plaid, a 545

(Just as an FYI, if you use the Spotify client or app rather than the web-based one, just copy and paste the playlist URL into the search field and the playlist will pop right up. Rather enjoying these King Crimson songs as we speak…a little heavier and psych-ier than I imagined them to be.)

I suspect that @CraigM and I will come up with fairly different lists for the good Mr. Townsend, so I’ll take a crack at it while he’s camping it up with the fam :)

Hah, in fact, while I was working on mine, he finished his, and as illustration of the breadth of what people take away from Devy, his playlist includes literally none of the songs I was even considering adding to mine, which started with 27 tracks. In other words, the 5 tracks he feels best showcase Devin Townsend to a noob don’t even crack my top 25+, hah. Well, okay, “March of the Poozers” would normally, but the album version includes a lengthy spoken word outro that I didn’t think fit any version of a playlist I could put together.

During the course of making a DT playlist, I considered five major themes I could use to shape the 5x5, which felt weirdly apt.

Long-form description of my playlist creation thoughts
  • The Softer Side - In which Townsend shows his softer, more reflective side in moving anthems and quiet contemplation, rife with slow riffs and acoustic interludes
  • The Duets - In which Townsend pairs his own signature vocal range with other artists, notably Che Aimee and Anneke van Giersbergen, to excellent effect
  • The Biggest Wall of Sound - In which Townsend just goes as fully over-the-top and sonically enormous as possible, drenched in epic soundscapes
  • Obliterating Hellstorm of Rage - In which Townsend unleashes the full force of his various demons and/or fake metal rage faces in pounding riffs and howling screams
  • Rising Force - A playlist which sort of moves you through the previous four varieties in an escalating fashion, amping up the energy and driving toward a blasting conclusion

While “Rising Force” would probably be the most reflective of the artist, I don’t enjoy the “Obliterating Hellstorm of Rage” that typifies his Strapping Young Lad phase nearly as much as the rest of what he does and feared I couldn’t do him justice there. And “The Softer Side,” while some of my favorite work from him in the wake of his amazing “Empath, Vol. 1” tour through the US this winter that heavily focused on emotional, contemplative building songs, it’s also not a great lens into his character. And since just a couple of my favorite tracks aren’t “Duets,” we arrive at my final choice, which I always sort of knew would be The One, “The Biggest Wall of Sound.”

(Technically, a sixth category, “Songs that Take You On a Journey,” also received consideration, but I did not want to share a playlist of 8+ minute long epics in a thread meant to casually introduce people to artists, hahaha)

Devin Townsend – The Biggest Wall of Sound

Stormbending, Spirits Will Collide, and Kingdom.

It’s almost as if I had precognition on where you would go ;)

I’m not gonna lie, I almost did “Offer Your Light,” “Evermore,” and “Grace” just to prove you wrong (and because they were excellent fits from those same three albums).

Aes Dana

Thanks guys! I’ll go through these a little later tonight when I can focus on them.

FUN SHIT

Five tracks is spot-on. Long enough to feel substantive but short enough for the 2020 attention span.

I did Cocteau Twins! I chose them because they’ve got a great, big discography and because I’ve spent over three decades thinking they’re just plain severely underrated. Why on earth isn’t Liz Fraser a household name??

OK sure, sounds fun. Here’s my inaugural attempt, my (current) top 5 list of my favorite musical artist.