Let's vote on the Qt3 Forum's Game Of The Year for 2016!

I only buy games heavily marked down on Steam sale, so can’t participate in this poll. :(

A lot of 2016 releases were already heavily discounted in the end of the year sales. Like Doom for $20, Offworld Trading Company for $14, Deus Ex for $20, The Division for $25, etc. I’m pretty sure it’s never been easier to play the latest games for cheap.

1. Ori and the Blind Forest: DE - beautiful and just the right amount of frustration
  2. Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak - it just felt damn cool to play. Best audio and voiceovers of any game in memory.
  3. Offworld Trading Company - only on single player - I can’t imagine the stress of getting it this against real people
  4. EU4: Rights of Man - made a great game even better
  5. Stellaris - as much as I despise some of the design decisions and the focus of development since release, I do still find it hypnotic to play

Biggest disappointments
Stellaris - love/hate relationship
Hearts of Iron 4 - still just isn’t my type of game, no matter how much times I smash my head into it - took around 50 hours to enjoy EU4 so will still give this a shot occasionally
Civ6 - I think this confirms that I’ve solidly grown out of the turn based 4X. All hail the RT4X.

I played plenty of other better games (e.g. Witcher 3, GTA5), but mostly a year or more old…

Okay. I know I’m past the deadline. I refrained because I barely played any 2016 games to the point where I could say I knew them. Only 4 stood out for me:

1st place: XCOM2
2nd place: Dark Souls 3
3rd place: Witcher 3 Blood and Wine (only because it is an expansion – would go 1st or 2nd otherwise)
4th place: Dragon’s Dogma Dark Arisen (PC) – as a remaster/port, not sure this qualifies

I don’t have a suitable 5th.

I spent a lot less time playing new releases this year, so there’s no straightforward winner for me, unlike last year with the Witcher 3. Plus, I never got around to Blood & Wine so I can’t even get it in that way.

1st: The Division. This is shocking to me, because I loved the game, then hated it, but then, after all the patches and, most importantly, Survival Mode, it came roaring back.
2nd: Overwatch. I’m crap, but I still had a blast playing this. Joyful in its way, polished to the finest sheen. A minute to learn, a lifetime to master. Like all games of this nature, the stronger the focus on meta gets, the less interested I become.
3rd: Stardew Valley. All hail the one man show. Not my genre, normally, but it was charming and delightful.
4th: X-Com 2. I didn’t like the mobile base thing as much as I imagined, but it’s still tactical combat goodness. Not the perfect iteration of the genre for me, but on approach.
5th: Reigns. The first mobile game to make my end of year list.

Game that would be number one with a bullet if it were out of early access: Rimworld
Games I haven’t played yet: Oxenfree, Dishonored 2, Hitman, Civ VI, Watch Dogs 2, Steep, Mafia 3
Games that disappointed me most: Deus Ex, No Man’s Sky, Stellaris

OMG, this is so cool! How come you guys never tell me about cool stuff like this? Buncha jerks.

-Tom

I blame that Geraldo Riviera guy.

You should do a game of the decade so Witcher 3 can win more stuff. Maybe Dark Souls or a GTA would put up a fight. Who knows. One for a slack time.

Well I missed the deadline. But what the hell, here’s my games anyway:

1. The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine I’ve not even finished this because it was so good it made me go back and play the entire game from the beginning. The best RPG expansion that I’ve ever played.
  2. Total War: Warhammer I was pretty cool on this when it came out, but came back to it at the end of the year and was blown away. It’s janky for sure, but something about this silly game really delivers pure Warhammer into the grim dark recesses of my mind.
  3. Dark Souls 3 If I had a most disappointing game of the year list, this might be number one. After Bloodborne caused me to question my very identity as a gamer with it’s brilliance, this was a hard landing. Reused assets and regurgitate ideas. But it’s the most technically refined game FROM have made with ‘Souls’ in the name, and in the final analysis that matters.
  4. Offworld Trading Company Finally someone figured out a way to do something fresh with real-time strategy games. And it’s glorious. Finally someone figured out how to make a RTS campaign that isn’t hateful. Wonderful.
  5. Duelyst At first glance this game seemed like a knocked off game design with derivative graphics, but that was deceptive. Really this is an ingenious and characterful inversion of an established genre.

I’m fighting off a cold and went to bed last night with 6 more people’s picks to put in, so I can add yours to the mix later this evening when I do the final tabulations. Just in the nick!

My list for 2016:

1. XCOM2

Mostly this year I played Skyrim. I played XCOM2 when it first came out and my wife bought it for me as a Valentine’s Day present, but it took me a bit to get used to the changes, especially the timed missions and alien reinforcements. I finally finished the main quest in Skyrim after 579 hours (and just shy of 5 years since starting my only character so far) and decided to take a break before tackling Dawnguard and Dragonborn. I’ve been playing XCOM2 since then and really enjoying it, though I’ve had to start several times to get the hang of base-building and supply management.

1. Overwatch
  2. Stardew Valley
  3. Titanfall 2
  4. DOOM
  5. Job Simulator

I played Doom and Stephen’s Sausage Roll last night and my list may be wrong…

Yeah. All week I’ve been fighting the urge to redo my list and get Stephen’s Sausage Roll there. It’s really, really good.

But I’m still only about 80% in, and the nature of the game has been changing enough that it’s hard to give a final verdict before finishing it. If only I’d started playing it a week or two earlier :-(

It can’t be wrong: it’s 2017 now, Richard!

BUMP!!!

Or did I miss the results?

:)

Watch the front page…;)

For those of you, like me, who only browse the forums -

I was also expecting it to show up in the Front Page category… it did not.

It wasn’t in the Front page category, it was under games.