Letterkenny

Stealing wikipedia’s summary:

Letterkenny is a Canadian television sitcom created by Jared Keeso and developed and primarily written by Keeso and Jacob Tierney, with Tierney as director. The series began as a YouTube web series titled Letterkenny Problems and in March 2015, Crave commissioned it as a television series. It debuted in February 2016, and later also aired on The Comedy Network. The show stars Keeso and Nathan Dales as Wayne and Daryl, two friends living in the small town of Letterkenny, Ontario, a small community loosely based on Keeso’s own hometown of Listowel, Ontario.

I’d never heard of this until a co-worker showed me the opening scene yesterday:

(NSFW language)

I don’t know how to describe it better than that clip, but if I had to try I’d say its incredibly deadpan and quick dialog reminds me in some weird ways of both Archer, and early Guy Ritchie stuff like Snatch and Lock Stock. Really quick back and forth, clever wordplay, and it may be the Canadian slang that reminds me of Guy Ritchie stuff. Racing to keep up with the conversations as my mind contextually works out unfamiliar lingo just makes it funnier somehow, kind of like all the British slang in the Ritchie movies.

Anyway, Hulu has the distribution rights in the US. I’ve watched the first two episodes and like it enough I figured I’d mention it here.

Go on, watch it, pitter-patter!

It’s on my watchlist having heard about it on a podcast, I presume Stop Podcasting Yourself. But it doesn’t seem to be available in the UK so I’m not sure I’ll ever be able to actually watch it.

Definitely lol’d at “What sort of backwards f’n pageantry is that?”

Letterkenny is great. I also love the Dad noises bit:

If there’s one thing I’ve learned from micced up NHL playoff highlights it is that NO ONE can chirp the way Canadians can chirp. Hilarious!

I also love how they capture that rural Canadian feel (which is also very similar to northern Minnesota/Wisconsin, where I’ve spent some time). Just the personalities of younger people and the farm and hockey stuff.

There is an Army base in PA named Letterkenny and that is all I can think of when I see this word. I enjoyed the first clip. Is there any way to watch without Hulu?

Season 7 premiere is up on Hulu!

How many episodes are in a season? Is it like the UK where one season is about three episodes?

They’re all six episodes seasons and other than season one there’s also a “holiday” episode each year, so effectively seven eps.

Also I think maybe all of season seven is up at once, not just the first episode. So that’s good!

I’m only in season 1, but the obese guy. I love the show, but he ruins it for me as his speech foibles are so fake and poorly done. Does he get better?

To be faiirrrrr, that’s his schtick. He does get better but not all that much, so if you can’t stand it after s02e01 then bail.

Also squirrelly Dan is funny as shit and now I’m seriously doubting any future comedy recommendations from you.

Good day, sir!

Edit: the actor who plays Dan is a comedian. His stand up is pretty funny. Watch his bit about Captain Crunch sometime.

OK I had to go look up his stand-up - and it’s great :) That will help me overlook the forced sssss’ssssssss

Oh is it? Is that what you appreciate about me, Squirrelly Dan?

So, I don’t think the show is as funny as it was at its peak but it’s still entertaining. But damn episode 5 this season (9) was great.

I love the show, but yeah, it’s probably suffering from trying too hard to cash in on the popularity rather than wait for the good stuff. Still, give me Shoresy in any given episode and it’s a classic.

Completely agree. It’s not nearly as consistent as it used to be, and the season 9 premiere was my least favorite episode yet. But episode 5 was wonderful.

I’m surprised we’re not watching it right now!

Bumping this up to let you’se guys know the 10th season is outs and abouts.