LGBTQIA+: Issues and Discussion Thread

High School and College years can be pretty tough. I suppose they could lie and tell someone they’re seeing some girl or having sex with someone but… the fact they’d have to means people care. And it’s not like social circles have some sort of cut-off and suddenly people just stop asking about someone’s love life or relationships.

Isn’t pansexual the same as bi?

I’ve been told it’s not. I don’t really understand it either, something about not seeing gender or sex instead of accepting both.

Well it sounds cooler, so it’s got that.

Pan-sexual, as I understand it, means no biases at all with regard to sexual partners. So, it would also include transgendered individuals.

Wait, does that mean a male person isn’t straight if they’re into trans girls? (Asking for a friend)

Isn’t that an insult to trans women?

So just because it’s not as egregious as other types discrimination, it’s not real? Where is the limit (again we’re back to who gets to define things) of what is real discrimination?

That can only be said by someone who has never experienced having their identity questioned or dismissed.

I honestly don’t know. But it does mean, for example, that my daughter would be comfortable in a relationship with a trans-gendered person of either birth gender regardless of whether they’d transitioned medically.

Okay, so as far as I know that’s still bi.

This isn’t an interrogation btw, I was merely curious because until this discussion I hadn’t thought of many of the distictions.

I mean really what’s the ask here? I know @ArmandoPenblade went into way more detail here but it’s not just a memorization of letters which everyone here can do. It feels more like a hey, this large group of individuals that used to fall into a this overall heavily discriminated bucket is actually a very diverse group with varying needs and expectations, and it would be nice if we acknowledge that. I am okay with that request. No. I don’t understand all intricacies, but I am willing to try.

Fox News and the GOP like labeling this group as just a net negative, super not okay.

Wait. When did the Q start meaning Questioning? It’s not Q for Queer?

I’m out of the loop.

When “I” and “A” were added. Yeah, in a few more letters it’s going to get weird.

What letter goes for people that like to have sex with objects? Like dudes that prefer RealDolls over a living person?

I feel like they’re getting neglected.

Masturbation

Since you are clearly “with it” and happy with educating yourself, let me step in here. It’s cisgendered and it’s a bit of bias that you think of that as “normal”. Because that means the other things are not normal by the fact that they aren’t the thing you’ve described that way (does that make sense?).

And I’m not trying to sound offended or accusatory or anything here, I just wanted to point this out.

Not taken as an interrogation at all! I’m also interested in these issues and embarrassingly ignorant in some fronts. A couple of interesting examples from her peer groups supportt the need to draw distinctions.

She has one friend who is a transgendered male(? my ignorance on display, someone please correct me if I have this wrong) who I have only ever known as a male even though he was born with female genitalia. He will be undergoing gender realignment surgery when he turns 18 and is only attracted to women.

She also has a classmate who was born with female genitalia who identifies as male but is dating a male. It’s not my place to second guess but I suspect he is questioning and may not ever transition whereas the first friend leaves no doubt in my mind, he is clearly male regardless of his birth genitalia.

Each of these friends face a different set of challenges and biases. To lump them both together under the umbrella of transgendered would be an oversimplification which would mask their very different experiences.

Thank you for catching that! I caught it myself at a different point in the post and corrected it but missed it here. What is the appropriate way to express this?

Do you mean expressing your own boring sexual self or expressing something else?

If you mean how to label yourself it would be straight, cisgendered male.

My gaming circle is super diverse, we have a pansexual and an asexual person, in fact. Pansexual is no big deal, it just means, “I’m attracted to whomever I’m attracted to and I don’t care what label/gender/sexuality they are”. So with the discussion above that went like I thought it was just bi to no, it’s also trans people to wouldn’t that still be bi etc, you’re all trying too hard. :P Pan- is simple.

maybe this chat should be in another thread, he said in an inclusive manner

The problem is… the way people describe themselves or this association often comes off as something akin to I don’t see color, which is a bullshit position. I mostly understand what they mean but when someone says something like I don’t see gender and I don’t see sex… it makes no logical sense. If they say something like I am attracted to the person and am not limited by physical appearance, that makes more sense.