LGBTQIA+: Issues and Discussion Thread

Someone please inform them that every other parade is already the straightest thing that could possibly happen.

You’ve never seen the Mummer’s day parade in Philly!

That’s not a Kefka dress up contest?

“…discrimination against straights”.

Because of course.

That’s an odd misspelling of “anthropomorphic shitstain”.

Basically, fuck straight pride.

So they went from using Brad Pitt’s likeness and name without his permission, to naming a gay guy as their grand marshal? Is it all pure trolling now?

Hold up, you’re talking about Milo here. I think you meant “a piece of human trash.”

Literally he could be dumped in the ocean tomorrow and we’d need to start up a nonprofit to remove the carcass.

Ditto this ^^

I can’t remember if this thread is where I saw the big discussion take place on transgender athletes, but it seems like the place to be, given the other choices.

The whole article is worth a read to catch up on some current situations, but I’ve cut and pasted a butchered summary below.

https://reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN1UP0F0

Transgender weightlifter Laurel Hubbard’s gold medal-winning performance at the Pacific Games continues to reverberate long after the event, with a New Zealand women’s group demanding sports authorities put a stop to “unfair” competition.

Hubbard, who competed for New Zealand in men’s weightlifting before her transition in her thirties, won two golds and a silver in three of the women’s heavyweight categories at the Games in Samoa earlier this month.

With Hubbard free to compete at next year’s Tokyo Olympics, the 41-year-old has become a lightning rod for criticism of the International Olympic Committee (IOC)'s guidelines for the inclusion of transgender athletes.

“The opinions of scientists although valid, are just that, opinions,” said New Zealand mountain biker Kate Weatherly, who transitioned as a teenager and has become a national champion competing against women.

And a politically incorrect opinion coming in hot from Samoa.

“I really don’t think he – she – should ever participate in this (tournament), but I realize we have to (be) inclusive and we cannot exclude these people,” Samoan Prime Minister Tuilaepa Sailele Malielegaoi told Reuters of Hubbard’s participation at the Pacific Games.

“They ought to participate in these Games in their own category.”

Wait - is it really divisive to say that M-F transgender athletes may have an unfair advantage compared to their counterparts? The points the scientists make rings true to me.

Yeah, even most of us here who support transgender people feel that it is not ok for transgender women to push out traditional women from certain sports.

That weight lifter is a prime example. She has an unfair advantage.

What does a fair advantage look like?

I find the entire notion of bracketing in sports really fascinating, because there’s this notion of ‘fairness’ wrapped up in it that seems really odd to me. Some sports bracket by gender, some by gender and weight. Sports all tend to bracket by skill level, and many people would consider Roger Federer competing in an ameuter tournament unfair.

But trying to pin down what makes something fair or not seems really hard.

It seems to me that if this doesn’t get addressed then the only top-level competitors in 10 years will be transgender athletes.

Depends on the reasoning. Transgender women are not the only women that might have say elevated testosterone. When they start drawing lines… it’s not exactly cut and dry. And where else is an advantage more like a cheat instead of well just an advantage. Is someone who has a greater lung capacity than most other people have just an advantage and is not unfair… why?

This seems a far better argument. If we want to bracket sports in such a way as to make competition interesting and inclusive, not based on ‘fairness’, the we make some headway. If the point of bracketing by gender are those things, then they are undermined by transgender competitors.

Well in this case it’s easy. Males genetically have greater muscle mass and a skeletal structure more suited to strength based contests. So an athlete who is genetically male has a higher potential than a female. Full stop.

I’ve shared my running experience. I was a mid tier at best cross country runner. A pusher, 6th or 7th on my team. However despite being a middling at best competitor in NCAA cross country, my times would have had me win, or nearly win, every single women’s race.

I, a middling D3 runner would have been a legitimate national championship contender in D1 womens races. Allowing transgender athletes fundamentally undermines the ability of women to compete. There are many sports where, if a transgender women competed, no natural born women would ever win against them.

Well, no.

Men will continue to dominate male sports, and transgender women will dominate female sports.

So, basically, women won’t be able to compete at the professional level.