Libya: How many protesters CAN you slaughter, anyway?

Hehe.

However, if the Arab League meeting tomorrows calls for something then that gets more interesting. Current Sec-Gen there is Amr Moussa, his name is name mentioned very highly as potential contender for first democratic president of Egypt.

Yeah, Egypt getting involved would be perfect. I just haven’t got a clue how organised they are after the revolution there. The EAF could deal with the Libyans pretty well I think.

You know, it’s funny, but when I read that post the first thing that popped into my head was “He posted that from his iPhone.” iOS devices create some very distinctive typos. ;)

I’m confused. Are the pilots bombing military targets in order to prevent civilians from arming themselves or directly attacking crowds? The reports seem to be conflicting. Do we just not have good info on this? I wish our government (which has satellites that could determine this) would tell us what is really going on here.

Why can’t it be both?

Apparently some military units have turned and joined the protesters, so presumably that accounts for the attacks on military targets. Hard info about what’s really going on is scarce, though.

Well, it could be, I guess. But then some of the reports are still wrong. I’m asking about which reports to believe here. Telling me ‘anything could be happening!’ doesn’t really help.

Events are fast moving and chaotic. There’s an impression of US intelligence being this all-knowing entity from the movies and television. Just tap a few buttons and we have satellite images of someone’s face from 300 miles away. But, truth is, in a situation like this, intel is busy trying to keep up and figure out what’s going on as much as the rest of us. Especially in a country where we don’t have much of a presence or relationship with.

You have a tribal situation where it sounds like military units are fracturing to side with their tribes. I doubt that even Ghadaffi has a clear picture of what’s going on right now.

I’ll welcome any democracy (republic, whatever), friendly to the U.S. or no, that forms from any of this. I hope the Libyan people can get through this – a terrible shame what is unfolding.

If by “ideological agendas” you mean democracy and preventing tyrannical dictators from dropping nerve gas on civilian populations, then you would be on the mark.

Libya: How many protesters CAN you slaughter, anyway?

How many you got?

I thought I read that Libya had massacred over 1200 citizens back in 1996 (sad I don’t remember it), so I guess they have more to go to beat their prior record.

Libya, o Libya
Oh have you met Libya?
Libya the tattooed lady

You’re spot on. There’s little difference between the neocon position & Partlett’s. “Use American military power to do good in the world”, such as preventing genocide, is precisely what the neocons were about. The only difference is that neocons seem to think that American power is always beneficial. (or at least better than the alternatives)

Heh. I feel bad laughing at this.

The key evidence I’ve seen so far is the defection of two senior colonels in the Libyan Air Force. They landed in Malta and claimed asylum based on their refusal to follow orders to bomb civilian protesters in Benghazi.

Are you being sarcastic?

“I support the allied decision to establish a no-fly zone in southern Iraq,” Clinton said during a news conference here.

Bill Clinton - famous neocon quoted in 1992.

He was being sarcastic.

Ol Muammar just showed up on teley. Word is that he was on for about 15 seconds.

Oh, that darn rain.

Yeah, the rain of depleted uranium.

It’s highly doubtful that the Libyan jets have depleted uranium ammo. DU is generally used in armor piercing ammunition, such as the GAU-8 Avenger cannon on the A-10 and in armor-piercing tank shells, as well as tank armor. Libya is not believed to be a nation that uses DU ammunition.